WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Happy Thursday, all.

I've been reading through quickly -- love the art/craft you all create. It's very inspiring. I am not crafty. At. All. About 30 years ago, I made a cross-stitch of the house I grew up in for my mother for Christmas. It just about killed me, and I haven't touched anything like it since! My mother loved it and still displays it, but every time I see it, I think, "Oh, I was so miserable making that blasted thing!"

Condo intrigue, Allie! Stand your ground. Like you said, if it's meant to be, it will happen.

Loving my new job -- solved two problems in one hour yesterday afternoon for one guy. He's worked here for over 30 years, so I got a kick out of it, actually. I'm pretty sure the first problem was a test, because he knew the answer. As soon as I "solved" that problem, he called and said, "Do you have a minute? I'm on my way over." Then he gave me the real problem. He's someone whom I've not felt had a lot of confidence in me, so our relationship moved in a positive direction yesterday. We were even laughing and joking around about the first problem. (It really was ridiculous.) Anyway, I love problem solving and thinking on my feet -- it energizes me!

On week 4 of C25k. For those of you who don't know or who don't remember, I used to be a distance runner -- just five years ago, but had to give it up because of some health issues. I'm easing back into it, ever so slowly, doing each week of C25k twice. I am glad that I'm ramping up slowly, however. My right hip was screaming at me a little after this morning's "run." It's cranky even if I don't do anything, so I just ignore it, for the most part.

I wish everyone the best today!

ETA: This quote popped up in my Facebook feed this morning. I was teaching Little Women two years ago, and while re-reading it, I came upon this quote. I adore coffee. And chocolate. But this quote is about coffee and expresses (ha!) exactly how I feel in the morning.

"Coffee was a treat, and Hannah showed great tact in making it that morning. No one could resist her persuasive nods, or the fragrant invitation issuing from the nose of the coffee pot. They drew up to the table, exchanged their handkerchiefs for napkins, and in ten minutes were all right again."

Little Women, chapter 16.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Beth, thank you so much on the ornaments. Yes, you're right,they are A LOT of work. I realized its been five years since I had made any ornaments. I've been doing them off and on for over 40 years. My back and shoulders holler much louder this time. Lol Two years ago I made the jewelry Christmas trees for everyone.

Janetr okc
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    At work today I just had the first person notice that I am losing weight! I'm "keeping it to myself" right now so told her mums the word. My co-worker (right across the wall) is our wellness coordinator and I dred the day she fines out. She takes all our exercise classes here at work and is fairly fit and was a therapist. I'm afraid that once she fines out she will start suggesting what I should eat, how to exercise and start counseling me about the emotional part of losing weight. I'm practicing what I'll say to her to nip all that in the bud. She eats all day so I constantly hear her munching. I'm learning to tune it out. Other than this forum and my family, I'm trying to take this journey quietly by myself. I'm not ready to share yet. Anyone else feel this way?

I love reading your posts. You are all such creative and interesting women!
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Josephine, thank you sweetie. I haven't ever really looked online for instructions, I just make it up as I go. Sequins, seed beads, craft pins, ribbon and whatever decorations. I have Christmas tree shapes, bells, snowmen, etc.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather, thank you.

I'm sure once you're rested up things will look brighter.

Janetr okc
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Beth how did your son do while he was home - were the migraines less as at college?

Hugs to all whose children are off to college and away from home. I only have another 8 years until I am once again an empty nester if I survive the teen years - ugh,escaping-chick-smiley-emoticon.gif

Becca this ones for you - army-salute-chick-smiley-emoticon.gif

Gotta run and water my garden. Not producing as much as I had hoped this year but I'm learning what not to do next year.

Gloria in WA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    WOW! Three pages behind. We're so 'chatty' it doesn't take long to get that far behind, I am checking at least 2x a day. So my post will be generalize. Yeah!

Pip - Isn't "Karma" wonderful; especially when you see it in progress.

I just hope my DDnL#1 will keep her nose down on the grindstone and not start telling everybody an easier way. When she was working with the RYDC, she could not figure why they did things; when she felt it could have been done a different way. I told her because she is dealing with the process and she HAD to do it the way she needed to do it, or else she could 'let someone out without realizing that 'her way' was the wrong way. This is meant for juveniles and they can be accused or put in prison for whatever they did. She found a job and seems to be happy with it. Other than the first week she did not do much. But, her boss told her that they were 'changing the system' and it would be pointless to teach her the old way and then have to come back and teach her all over again. So, basically, she is a well-paid 'gopher'. She is making more than she did when she worked at the place in Albany and had walked out on it. Never realizing she'd go more than 8 weeks without a paycheck.

Josephine - When you are talking about 'the boy' what are you referring to? I guess I missed that.

Allie - Maybe the next place will allow pets. I know that Chase and Taylor had to pay a 'pet fee' to have Knox with them. But, because the other couple at the last place had a dog, the girl wanted her to pay 'them' the pet fee. She told them, 'no'; because she wasn't being charged for it and that came from the land-lord. Have you considered a garage apartment? A log of them have 2 bedrooms, a bath, kitchen, and living area. Of course, stairs might be an issue; but, you might feel more comfortable taking the dogs out and feeling like you did not always have to worry about making noise. When Louis and I first married and then when we moved to Jacksonville, FL from Atlanta we had apartments. They were very well insulated so we never heard anybody. One thing you might ask the neighbors would be 'can you hear everything your neighbors do'? You can find out a lot by asking others. One thing you also might consider is making sure there is a 'fire' wall on the apartments/condos you live in. Usually, they will have a brick wall that goes high enough so that a 'fire' would not set your place 'on fire'. We have a lot of places that are all one floor and have garages to boot. Have you thought about a place for people over the age of 50. We also have a few of them, too. At 66, I don't think I would have an issue with this, or having a 'gated community' either. They would probably offer you more things to do. There again, if your children don't live in the same town, if you had 2 bedrooms you'd have a place for them to stay. I told Louis, that next year (after I finish paying off the 2 chairs, I'd like a 'sofa' bed. None of the other couches/sofas that I sat on were comfortable. I'd 5'4" and he says he is 5'6' [I don't believe that]. If he were he would not only come up to my son's noses.

My toe is in a boot so that my toes won't bend. I tend to run into things because it is a bit heavy and doesn't give like any shoes. At least it comfortable. I was afraid that he was going to put one of those ones that come up to you knees when he was talking about a 'boot'.

Can y'all believe that only one person won the huge lottery? I wonder if they will show a picture of them; or, at least, talk about their age and what they plan to use it for. We had a guy that won a big (but just about $400,000 and he got 'killed' because of it. Somebody thought he kept it in his house. I'd be investing it and living off the interest. Can you image how much that would be? Or put the limit in every bank in town, while they might not pay as much interest as an investment company would pay, still you could live big at over $757M. I think I would probably move from where we are and just keep it as a hunting lodge. I'd buy and pay for my own home; but, I would not buy a big one. Just have a pool and a pond. Lots of acreage out in the middle of nowhere. I'd buy my children a house, I would pay off 'student loan' and 'set up a college fund for the other 3 grandchildren. I'd give some to the church, I would give some to charity, and actually I would like to buy those wheelchairs that you can go most places. The ones that instead of having wheels, they have the way they move like a 'tank'.

We're leaving early in the morning for our trip to Louisiana. I hope the hurricane stays in south Texas (although I feel sorry for those that will get hit). We both were happy that the trip to Texas didn't happen. We're planning on going in the spring. It shouldn't be so horribly hot.

I need to get off my duff and straighten the house. Take a shower. That Cracker to the 'spa'. Since we are going to be gone for nearly 10 days, we decided that she'd probably enjoy it more. It is a little expensive; but, I like the idea that they take them 'outside' several times a day. The even had a doggie pool (I doubt she will actually get in it.

Welcome to all the newbies. Just make sure at the end of the month you hit the clink that Barbiecat posts to go the September. Hit the outline to the star and then when you want to find us easily all you'd have to do it hit the gray star and it will drop down a screen for you to hit. One thing you cannot do is 'go back a page'. If you do, you will lose everything you have typed. One of the things that MFP has done (which I don't like) is it will only take you up to the beginning of the page. It 'used' to take you back to your last post. I don't like it because I have to go back a couple of more pages to read what has been posted after my last post and before the top of the page.

Some of us use a word processing program and minimize both pages and put them side-by-side. That's not hard to do, but, it does take a little practice. I cut and past what I have typed in the W.P.P. (but, I don't delete the page until after I have posted it in MFP. That way you can also go back to it and post it. Sometime if there are a lot of people posting at the same time and yours is long, it won't allow you to put it in.

Louis has 'age-related' dementia; but, not back considering he will be 76 in November. But sometimes he will look at me with this 'look of a deer in the lights'. Like he just isn't comprehending what I have said. He knows when I 'pretend' I am 'signing' to him, he needs to listen to me better.

Felicia - My Mother cross-stitch the church we were married it. It was beautiful and she did it all from just a picture she had made of it. I thought that was pretty need.

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    have alot of things to consider if I want this condo... especially how to pay for it at the end of lease....
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

Soooo determined to continue sorting, donating, purging and organizing. It feels so goooood! Problem is, though, there is still so much to do. I told my DH I would give him the summer to change his stripes. Other than no assault on our finances on his part (because I have the purse strings tight in my hand) there has been no "new Hubby" in sight. I am planning to talk to him on the Tuesday after Labor Day about separating. That is the end of the summer, right? He has that day off so it will be a good day to talk. Why does my heart begin to race as I type this? I mean really race!

Hi Penny - been missing you!

Allie - sorry for the glitch about the condo. I know what is meant to be will be.

Cheri and others - Congrats on the weight losses and NSVs.

Lanette - so sorry you had to miss the exhibit.

Wonderful pictures everyone! - Dads, sons, grands, and crafts.........!

Okay, ladies, do I go to my 50th High School reunion?????? Must decide this month and get ticket, make plans, etc. Do I put a bio in the Memory Book? UGG! Kind of hard because of this separation.

Must get to the store, start the crockpot, and get ready for work.

TNToni

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ((((((((Toni))))))))
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    marcelyn stay safe and dry!!

Allie stand your ground, that fact they came back with another offer is good, hold to what makes sense financially and what's best for your fur-babies <3

Cheri. You are rocking this!!

Langman so smart to keep your journey private. There are folks that love to sabotage as well as claim some kind of "ownership". Your progress is awesome, keep it up!!

Okay, I'm getting teary about DD going, keep asking her if she wants stuff (food and toiletries) to bring and she keeps saying, no I've got everything I need!!! :'(

Thank goodness we'll be distracted with our young niece on the drive back!!

NYKAREN
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Terry in VT - (You're langman22, right?) I wasn't in Vermont, I was in New Hampshire. My father grew up there, but I spent my own childhood in Minnesota. We have a classic New England summar cottage in the Sunapee area. The clan gathers there whenever we can, piling in from the four corners of the globe. At most this summer we had 14 around the dinner table. My sister lives in Montpelier, though, so I also visit your lovely state from time to time.

NY-Karen - This visit to NH lasted a full 30 days. My parents can't manage on their own at the cottage anymore. They need somebody able-bodied to do the shopping and cooking, and simply to be around in case of emergency. My sister and brother-in-law in VT do a fantastic job of facilitating for them year-round but can't take four straight weeks off work. But me, being self-employed, I write my own work calendar ;)

Katla and Beth - Not to worry, there are plenty of total solar eclipses left. (See https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html for a list of all of them through 2199!) Yeah, the moon IS moving farther away from the earth, but only by about an inch per year, so I don't think humanity will be around when the moon is too far away to block out the sun completely.

Dorrie - I haven't been out chanterelle hunting yet this year, but here's a picture of my haul from a single glorious afternoon two summers ago. :p Little matchbox for scale.
    nkuwl4yzxhsd.jpg

Gloria in WA - Oh how I hear you on unproductive gardens! I don't know what caused it, but my vegetable garden in Northern Norway didn't go anywhere this year! Even the otherwise dependable dill seeds didn't produce more than an inch of seedling. Total washout! The strawberry patch did just fine, though. I've already mentioned the 3 pounds of berries I harvested in haste and that are waiting in the freezer. A few days earlier we'd picked about two pounds worth for a G-E-N-E-R-O-U-S strawberry shortcake for my son's birthday. Even with a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old we had leftover strawberries!

I forget who posted about the low-budget Christmas tree that ended up being the most beautiful of all, but I have a similar story. When I was in my early teens we lived in Tanzania for a while. Come Christmas, we had to solve the problem of a total lack of fir trees. Near our house was a group of sisal plants (aka agave see http://www.discoverseaz.com/Wildlife/AgaveBlooms.html), some of which had produced those long stalks, which are sort of conical in shape. We got permission to cut one, and took the top 4 feet or so. All the blossoms had fallen off already, so it was just a naked branching skeleton. We girls scrounged around the yard looking for botanical stuff - seeds and pods and fruits - to decorate it with. The end result was a marvelous "Christmas tree", spare and elegant as a Calder mobile.

Time for bed over here, so I'll sign off.

/Penny not quite at the North Pole this evening

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Langman, beautiful work. My Grandma would embroidery all the time. I have some beautiful pieces madly her then more in my cedar chest that I have hoped my kids or grandkids would want them. So far my kids have told me pretty emphatically that that is not their style. So far it's just memories sitting in cedar chest. She had 4 kids and spent 3 months every year with each child. I don't know about Mom and Dad but us kids loved it.

One year I made 22 sweatshirts for Christmas. I did a counted cross stitch on each on each one. It burned me out so much it took a long time for me to pick it up again. Another year I did a counted cross stitch picture for ea h sibling and Mom. I haven't tried it since I had my cataracts removed and use reading glasses. I guess I would do fine. Then I
    Picked up quilting when I had an expert to hel me. She isn't here anymore and I don't have the confidence to pick it back up. Plus my sewing machine is eons old.

I slept like a baby last night. I still just took the one Narco but took it later. Also took my sleeping pill.

Joyce, Indiana
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ~ Joyce - that reminded me of this itch to pick up my crochet hook again...that's it, I'm going shopping tonight and make myself an afghan...I haven't done that in over 20yrs, so I'm overdue! Just have to decide the color(s) now! Thanks for the inspiration...I'm certain I'll end up like you and everyone will want one...my family members in FL (about 7 of them) all have afghans I made them over the years...go figure...in FL...LOL!! I haven't made them for my kids, so that's a project I see in the near future...

~ Penny - OMG that made my mouth water! LOVE this! Thank you for sharing!

Much love and respect from Vegas,
    Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn
    "If plan 'A' fails, remember there are 25 more letters!" --- Sam Q