Culking Fall of 2017!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm done with cutting for now. I weighed in at only 129 lbs this morning. In addition, a couple weeks ago, my performance at the gym was taking a toll. After going back to what I think is my maintenance (I added 200-300 calories to my diet), things are getting better again. At this point, I think I might roll into a slow clean bulk in a few days. I think I should really focus on gaining muscle. What's odd is that I have visibility in my ribs but still have a bit of a belly. However, at 5' 7", I feel like I don't have much if anything more I could cut.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    @Steelpit202 that is pretty light for 5'7. I'd try the slow bulk route to build up more muscle and then try again to cut off the belly fat in mid to late spring.
  • edickson76
    Options
    @quiksylver296 that is awesome. I didn't see a post on how the meet went, though. Should I be asking?
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    @Steelpit202 that is pretty light for 5'7. I'd try the slow bulk route to build up more muscle and then try again to cut off the belly fat in mid to late spring.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but I was thinking more of a 20lb slow bulk. I'll see how things go. On the plus side, my stomach seems flat when I'm laying down. Maybe it could be related to underdeveloped abs and/or posture perhaps?

• edickson76
    Options
    Looked pretty awesome to me. :)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon
    Just a curiosity question since I read you were running PHAT too. How many mins are you in the gym on the hyper days? With the short rest breaks between lifts and sets it's cut down my time on those days to about 30-35 mins.

Power days are longer with the extended rest breaks, at least for me, still around 45-50mins.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @psuLemon
    Just a curiosity question since I read you were running PHAT too. How many mins are you in the gym on the hyper days? With the short rest breaks between lifts and sets it's cut down my time on those days to about 30-35 mins.

Power days are longer with the extended rest breaks, at least for me, still around 45-50mins.

I am around 45 mins since i workout with a friend. So mu breaks tend to be 90 seconds. And power days are 50 to 60. We also do a bit of ab work when we have time. Once we are fully accumulated to the volume, i might add a bit more volume.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    @psuLemon

I am around 45 mins since i workout with a friend. So mu breaks tend to be 90 seconds. And power days are 50 to 60. We also do a bit of ab work when we have time. Once we are fully accumulated to the volume, i might add a bit more volume.

Thanks!
    Quite a bit different than running 531 where I was pushing my lunch time workout to the max time.

• triviasue
    triviasue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to this forum (and to bulking), and I've been enjoying reading about your progress in this thread.

I'm 37F, mother of two, avid runner taking some time off of running this winter to hopefully put on muscle. I'm 5'2 105lb and frustratingly skinny fat. Been lifting consistently over the past six weeks, starting with SL 5x5 for the simplicity but adding in weighted hip thrusts & glute bridges for the booty.

Still trying to figure out the appropriate surplus for bulking. I maintain around 1300, so aiming for 1500 daily, but it's hard not to eat all the things right now. Could be my cycle affecting my appetite maybe? Hoping I'll adjust to the new limit soon.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Took a 6 week diet break/mini-bulk/purposeful surplus to try and undo any metabolic adaptations from dieting this summer and have seen my TDEE increase noticeably (from 3200-3500).

Undertaking a 6 week mini-cut before I start a 12 week dietary phase in the new year with the ultimate goal of being 220lbs with decent abs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    triviasue wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm new to this forum (and to bulking), and I've been enjoying reading about your progress in this thread.

I'm 37F, mother of two, avid runner taking some time off of running this winter to hopefully put on muscle. I'm 5'2 105lb and frustratingly skinny fat. Been lifting consistently over the past six weeks, starting with SL 5x5 for the simplicity but adding in weighted hip thrusts & glute bridges for the booty.

Still trying to figure out the appropriate surplus for bulking. I maintain around 1300, so aiming for 1500 daily, but it's hard not to eat all the things right now. Could be my cycle affecting my appetite maybe? Hoping I'll adjust to the new limit soon.

You can aim for a smaller surplus, so anywhere from 125-250cals per day (so 0.25-0.5lb gain per week).. however, you will gain some fat when bulking. As long as you are prepared and OK with that. If you are starting out a bulk with a higher bodyfat%, it can put you at a bit of a disadvantage, it's not impossible though. Alternatively, you can recomp - eat at maintenance and continue to lift. Progress can be slower though.. depends on your ultimate goals and timeline.
  • triviasue
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @sardelsa Thanks. I figured a bulk would be best since I do want to weigh more and have very little muscle. I am probably around 18-20% BF (will confirm with a DEXA soon). So I have been aiming for 200 a day surplus, it's just hard to stick to right now. I'm used to eating quite a bit more since I was burning 2-3k calories per week while marathon training. I'm not running right now, but my appetite hasn't quite got the memo!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa Thanks. I figured a bulk would be best since I do want to weigh more and have very little muscle. I am probably around 18-20% BF (will confirm with a DEXA soon). So I have been aiming for 200 a day surplus, it's just hard to stick to right now. I'm used to eating quite a bit more since I was burning 2-3k calories per week while marathon training. I'm not running right now, but my appetite hasn't quite got the memo!

If you are really 18-20% I wouldn't quite call that "skinny fat".. that is actually fairly lean and a great place to start a bulk. But if measured with a scale most likely inaccurate. However if you feel tiny and undermuscled, stick to the small surplus.
  • triviasue
    Options
    @sardelsa The BF estimate is based on caliper measurements. I definitely need the DEXA to figure out what I'm really working with. I am fairly lean - I can see the top of my abs - but have a slight pooch from multiple pregnancies. I think if myself as skinny fat because my friends would call me skinny but I'm far from toned due to lack of muscle.
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am running phul, wife and I lift together. Most days seems to take 1he 30min, with some hypertrophy days leaning closer to 1he 45min. Still not really gaining weight on this starting bulk, but my lifts started moving up again.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I've been 'meh' the last few months. I recently started the RP Female Physique program, and I'm planning to do a 12 week cut using their diet templates in January, then doing a maintenance phase after.
    Continuing to maintain and getting a feel for the Base phase of the diet until then. Nutrient timing around workouts, eating vegetables, all that jazz.
    The lifting program has been interesting as you adjust sets based on difficulty/soreness. My lower body responds on minimal sets, while most of my upper body takes many sets. (Basically aligns with which muscle groups are my 'stronger' ones, it just never occurred to me I didn't actually need to train my legs to the point that I couldn't function for 6 days, or that maybe I should have triceps DOMS sometimes. Ha.)
    Probably all basic stuff, but I've always been pretty sub par when it comes to most of that. Hoping to accomplish things in the next year with this new knowledge.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Since ending my C1 RFL cut in early August at 163, I'm back to 168. Five pounds in three and a half months, so not bad. Right on track for my aim, which is 181 by next fall.

I keep increasing my training aspects, so I'm currently stalled on weight gain, but that's expected. I'll see what happens on my JTM 5s realization week before deciding what to do with kcals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa The BF estimate is based on caliper measurements. I definitely need the DEXA to figure out what I'm really working with. I am fairly lean - I can see the top of my abs - but have a slight pooch from multiple pregnancies. I think if myself as skinny fat because my friends would call me skinny but I'm far from toned due to lack of muscle.

I would eat at least maintenance, but preferably a bit over, and keep lifting progressively. You can still run a little for some extra calories if you want to. I lift similarly to 5x5 with added glutes also.