60 Minutes per Month Plank Challenge - November 2017

Spliner1969
Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
This is a pretty simple challenge thread for those that want to have some accountability with their plank workouts. This plank challenge thread is meant to be flexible enough that people of various fitness levels should be able to successfully complete it as long as they are consistent with doing their planks regularly. If you find you cannot complete 60 minutes, you are welcome to set your own goals, many of us do.

Original Challenge Goal - 60 minutes of planks for the month. That's about 2 minutes of planks daily, or 3 minutes of planks for 20 days or 5 minutes of planks for 12 days...or...what ever you want to do to reach the challenge goal. I, personally, do mixed planks of up to 10 minutes per day. I split them up throughout my normal workouts.

>>If you are already a planking superstar or start to consistently hit the challenge goal, feel free to post your own goal at the beginning of the challenge that is higher than the one for the posted challenge. Or post an updated goal once you hit 60 minutes.
>>If you join us late in the month, feel free to post an alternate goal that is in the spirit of the original challenge (for example, joining around the 15th would be a 30 minute plank challenge to finish out the month).

How many sets? As many as you need. If you can do a 5 minute plank in one set, that is amazing!! If you want to do a few sets of 1 - 2 minute planks, that's cool! If you need to break up your planks into multiple sets of 15-30 seconds, that's okay too! I do a 4-minute set that goes something like this:

1 minute forearm, 30 seconds left side plank, 30 seconds right side plank, 30 seconds left side plank, 30 seconds right side plank, 30 seconds left side plank, and finally, yup, you guessed it.. 30 seconds right side plank. Mixing things up gives me a more rounded workout, and I generally never hold any one position longer than 1 minute. Feel free to create your own.

Types of planks? ALL planks and their variations count! Straight arm planks, forearm/elbow planks, side planks, reverse planks, etc. This allows you to vary your planks depending on your personal workout goals. (See next post for a variety of planking ideas.) I even add push ups during some of my planks as well as leg raises, etc. to push just a bit harder.

How to join / participate? Just post your intended goal, then the total minutes of the planks you did for the day and your running total for the month. No spreadsheets, no groups. Easy peasy.

Last month's 60 minute plank challenge thread:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10601846/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-october-2017

Welcome and get planking!!

I am continuing this challenge once again for @b3achy, the original author. All credit goes to her for starting this thing many many moons ago. All examples, quoted text, and ideas were, and still are, hers. I take no credit here, just keeping the torch lit in her absence. Stay tuned for some examples, and happy planking!

I'd like to add (as stated above in bold) that it has long since been a tradition that we accept any goal. If you don't feel you can do 60 minutes, or if you start late in the month, we want you here. So post your personal goal and start planking. You can come back each month and increase your times until you reach the challenge goal or go beyond it. Some of us go way beyond it and that's ok too. We have never been judgemental. Everyone needs a strong core, and we believe this is the path to that goal!

Some examples:

30 Day Beginner Plank Challenge - builds to a 2 minute plank (total is 26 minutes and 55 seconds for the month, so 33 minutes and 5 seconds short of 60 minutes. Recommend doing multiples earlier in the program when they are shorter to get more minutes for 60):
30-day-plank-workout6.jpg

30 Day Advanced Plank Workout - building to 5 minute planks (total is 53 minutes and 20 seconds for the month, so 6 minutes and 40 seconds short of 60 minutes unless you do multiples earlier in the program):
30-day-plank-challenge-chart.jpg

Here's an Alternate 30 Day Plank Workout (for beginners, intermediate, and advanced) that also builds to 5 minutes of Planks (by doing multiples of no more than 30 sec planks; also 53 minutes and 20 seconds for the month):
30-day-plank-challenge-10-1024.jpg?cb=1438051399
For details on the variations, here's the full slideshow: http://www.slideshare.net/TodaysFitnessTrainer/30-day-plank-challenge[/quote]
b3achy wrote: »
Intermediate Plank Workouts:
These are intermediate level workouts, good to try once you have a good foundation of standard planks and are looking for something more interesting or with more variety.

3 minute Bowflex Plank Workout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUw0YsrmSg

Rebecca Louise 5 minute Plank Workout (shows nearly proper form (butt's a little too far in the air, IMO), and modified forms):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Ge7uGpjFY

DareBee 5 minute Plank Workout:
five-minute-plank-workout.jpg

DareBee Killer Core Plank Workout:
killer-core-workout.jpg

Advanced Workouts:
Do not try these if you have never done a plank before. These are workouts to build up to once you successfully establish a good foundation of standard planks (and probably only once you've managed to do some of the intermediate workouts).

15 Minute Advanced Plank Workout:
wh-15-min-plank-workout_0.jpeg
See details in this article ~ http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/plank-abs-workout

FitnessBlender 10 minute Advanced Plank Workout (this looks brutal):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN9a5pU2A

An added note.. make your planks count! What I mean by that is don't just hold the position. We're here to work on our core, so as you do your plank, watch your form, contract your abdominal muscles and hold them, and remember to breathe!

Here are a couple of videos about proper form and technique:

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    I'm back from trying this a few months ago! (Literally stalking the challenge section waiting for this one to go up too haha!)

60 minutes and ready to rock it :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,979 Member
    I'm back! Going to just shoot for the 60 minutes as I really need to get my core back in shape! My paddling has been suffering from not enough planks... :/ Time do get back at it... B)
  • Spliner1969
    I'm back! Going to just shoot for the 60 minutes as I really need to get my core back in shape! My paddling has been suffering from not enough planks... :/ Time do get back at it... B)

Woohoo!
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    I'm shooting to get back in it as well. Trying for 60 minutes.
  • ujjawala_ag
    ujjawala_ag Posts: 3 Member
    I am in too. 60 mins of Plank!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    I'm back! Wrecked my knee mid last month but all better now.
    :)
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    I’m in... will start with 60 minutes for November
  • Spliner1969
    Glad to see some familiar and new faces this month! Hoping a few more join as well! Starting tomorrow trying to plank away some of the Halloween candy I'll be consuming tonight. ;)
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    I'm in and a beginner planker so 60 minutes is my goal.
  • Spliner1969
    Starting out November with a rest day. Actually I may still do my planks before dinner tonight. We shall see... ;)
  • b3achy
    LOL... was going to say I took a page out of the @Spliner1969 book and got mine in early today, but then you took a rest day!! Too funny!! :D
    Well, it's a slow start for me, but it's a start. Attempting the DareBee Active Plank workout (a little more oblique work for my paddling needs), but only got one set done (with three rest breaks (not counted in overall time)). :/ Eventually, I'll get myself built back up to the recommended three sets, but I've got to re-start somewhere. I'll still be feeling it tomorrow, I'm sure. :|

1 Nov: DareBee Active Plank Workout (1 set) - 2:30 minutes

Total: 2:30 minutes out of 60 minutes
    Left to Goal: 57:30 minutes

DareBee Active Plank Workout: https://darebee.com/workouts/active-plank-workout.html
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Ohhhhh, I'm in! I am not a fan of planks but know how great they are for me, and do them anyways, but need to push for more than a minute a few times per week! I can commit to 60 minutes for November.
  • Spliner1969
    LOL... was going to say I took a page out of the @Spliner1969 book and got mine in early today, but then you took a rest day!! Too funny!!

Yesterday morning I was in a management meeting and pushed a conference room chair to its position on the wall after the meeting (10 feet max) and managed to tweak my lower back. It's still a little sore today so I took the day off of my normal workout routine. I think I worked my core so hard yesterday morning my muscles were tired, and when they are tired it allows my spine to shift around too much. Sometimes it takes so little to cause problems with my back it's just silly. Yesterday morning I did 30 minutes of circuit training, 15 minutes of HIIT on my machine, another 15 minutes of circuit training, then another 14 minute HIIT session on my machine before hitting the floor for 60 crunches, 120 side crunches, 10 minutes of mixed planks, and an additional 30 pushups. No issues with all that, then I get up after sitting in an hour long meeting and push a stupid chair and bam. /shrug

Years ago when I herniated my L4/L5 disc and they had to send me to emergency surgery (lost feeling below my waist) they did a laminectomy to solve the issue. It worked, but I never realized it would leave my lower spine weaker for the rest of my life. It's part of why I work my core so hard most days to keep it strong. I just need to take things easy when I'm worn out, sometimes it catches me off guard. ;P

Anyway, feeling a little better this morning, will probably go back at it in the morning. Usually Mondays and Thursdays are my rest days, but shifted it a bit for that reason. Good for you for getting up early though! I will be with you starting tomorrow unless the soreness persists. ;)

• quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,803 Member
    I was hesitant to join this challenge because I am currently dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck BUT because I also have rods in my back, I REALLY need to strengthen my core. I don’t know that I will make 60 minutes in the month but anything is better than nothing!

I started this morning with a forearm plank and the cat helping by rubbing my hip and head. :/

Day 1 1:20
  • b3achy
    edited November 2017
    Yikes @Spliner1969! When I know since I have back issues, the dumbest little things can tweak it again. Glad you are feeling better though!

My lower back pain originally is from an old car accident injury, and paddleboarding is hard on the shoulders and my back for me too, but it's been worse the past week or so (not sure what I did). One of my problems that aggravates my back issues is my poor posture when I'm sitting (aka slumping in my chair while working)

(Note: Neither of these are Planking videos, so a little off topic, but since so many of us have back issues here...they might help someone.)

I just found this PT guy online who has stretches and exercises that seemed to help me (though I also did 30 minutes of stretching at the gym on Monday too, so that may have also contributed to the relief, but I was still in some pain leaving the gym). I like how he explains how the muscles work. Be warned though, in some of his videos he has a bit of a potty mouth (sometimes quite a few f-bombs) and can be a bit bawdy with his humor. This one was pretty tame compared to others...

Lower back pain fixes - Going to try to do these regularly as I was barely walking on Monday (after being in pain most of the weekend). After doing two of the exercises on Monday, I felt some instant relief, and then just a lot better on Tuesday once my body had time to rest/recover.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI

If this doesn't help, he probably has some other videos on his channel that addresses your specific back issue. He's worth checking out as his workout/exercise/physical therapy advice seems pretty decent (I have some minor differences of opinion on some of his nutrition advice at this point).

BTW, just found this video on lower back strengthening without weights. Know you like your body weight exercises. The first two look pretty easy...the second two...yikes. But I think I'm going to try to add them to my routine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT74SAts7M
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    I'm in.
  • Spliner1969
    I was hesitant to join this challenge because I am currently dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck BUT because I also have rods in my back, I REALLY need to strengthen my core. I don’t know that I will make 60 minutes in the month but anything is better than nothing!

I started this morning with a forearm plank and the cat helping by rubbing my hip and head. :/

Day 1 1:20

I also get pinched nerves in my neck quite often. I do yoga for both my neck and my lower back. Matter of fact, as I do my 10 minute plank workout it goes something like this:

Start with some yoga for lower back, then core work (wipers, crunches, side crunches) then start a 4 minute mixed plank (1 minute forearm then 30 second side planks each side until I hit 4 minutes), once that is finished sit up, stretch my neck and do some yoga and end that with some chin tucks (this helped with the pinched nerves). Hit the floor again for another 4 minute mixed plank session. Then I stop, do the same starting core work again, and finish with a 2 minute mixed plank session. Since I incorporated the stretches for my neck mid-way through my planking it gets done at least 5 days a week that way and my arm pain from the pinched nerves is pretty much gone and stays gone.
  • Spliner1969
    Yikes @Spliner1969! When I know since I have back issues, the dumbest little things can tweak it again. Glad you are feeling better though!

My lower back pain originally is from an old car accident injury, and paddleboarding is hard on the shoulders and my back for me too, but it's been worse the past week or so (not sure what I did). One of my problems that aggravates my back issues is my poor posture when I'm sitting (aka slumping in my chair while working)

(Note: Neither of these are Planking videos, so a little off topic, but since so many of us have back issues here...they might help someone.)

I just found this PT guy online who has stretches and exercises that seemed to help me (though I also did 30 minutes of stretching at the gym on Monday too, so that may have also contributed to the relief, but I was still in some pain leaving the gym). I like how he explains how the muscles work. Be warned though, in some of his videos he has a bit of a potty mouth (sometimes quite a few f-bombs) and can be a bit bawdy with his humor. This one was pretty tame compared to others...

Lower back pain fixes - Going to try to do these regularly as I was barely walking on Monday (after being in pain most of the weekend). After doing two of the exercises on Monday, I felt some instant relief, and then just a lot better on Tuesday once my body had time to rest/recover.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI

If this doesn't help, he probably has some other videos on his channel that addresses your specific back issue. He's worth checking out as his workout/exercise/physical therapy advice seems pretty decent (I have some minor differences of opinion on some of his nutrition advice at this point).

BTW, just found this video on lower back strengthening without weights. Know you like your body weight exercises. The first two look pretty easy...the second two...yikes. But I think I'm going to try to add them to my routine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT74SAts7M

I will check these out, I'll also have to dig (and post them) to find the ones I do for my lower back that help the most later. I also have degenerative disc disease. Docs tell me the only thing I can do about it is build a strong core, and build strong back muscles and keep them strong as long as possible. Core is coming along very well, back.. well it's a work in progress.
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    11/1 - 5 minutes mixed planks

Total For Month - 5
    Left to Goal - 55