WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Judging from the above post by sugaraddict4321, the notes "[edited by mods]" have had to do with removing links to off-site blogs.

Personally, I wouldn't want to turn this into a closed group. Part of the charm is that anybody can stumble across us and join simply by posting.

But some of you will be glad to hear this: Mike the reindeer is still hanging around with the sheep, and they're all wandering in and out of the farmer's yard. Mike has shed his right antler, but not yet lost his left one. That's perfectly normal at this time of year.

Agree about the charm of this thread. And THANK YOU for the happy Mike update. I’m so glad he’s able to stay with his adoptive family!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    So sorry if I've got the group into dutch with the moderators - won't post links again. Forums are just odd things... and every one of them has its gotchas. I know Pip was aware that it could be an issue, as she's been very careful not to post links, even for GoFundMe sites that we were all keen to give to. But, we do use "free" space on their site, all of which takes up room on their servers.

There are benefits to groups - but agree that I like the way the thread works, and the lack of formality. Also like starting over fresh and clean each month. I think groups can be intimidating, with that sense of wandering into a clique of sorts--but there are arguments to be made either way.

Anyway--message received, won't post links anymore.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Oops. I think the link to my son's video appearance was actually a Facebook page. Sorry everyone.

I don't want to be a group. New people won't find us.

Well, I screwed up on Sunday morning. I ate a Trader Joe's maple cream cookie. Definitely NOT gluten free. I'm still paying the price for it four days later. I hadn't done that in a long time, so maybe it was good to remind myself one of the reason's I don't eat gluten. My gut has been in pain. My intestines are complaining. My body is swelling. I've been shaking and have serious brain fog. So stupid of me.

I'm going to leave work early today, load up the car, and take my youngest up to my mother's. I'll spend the night there and then drive down to Portland for my flight. Which reminds me that I need to check in and print my boarding pass. I am a mass of nerves and the gluten on Sunday is just amplifying everything for me.

I will try to check in next week, but I don't know what to expect for internet service. I assume it will be fine, but we'll see.

Take care.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    I too like it as it is. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sorry here too, I didn't not post the link to my FB page of ornaments but did give the name of the page. Did not mean to upset any one.

Definitely want to keep the grou AS IS.

Janetr OKC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    :p
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Janetr I'm pretty sure you can give the name of a Facebook page. I think it's posting a link that's the problem. But I don't actually understand why.

Lisa in NC LOL! I really like the way your brain works. Well done.

Karen in Virginia
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Michele, I absolutely love the chameleon! Looks like something my DD would make. She love to draw cartoons and is quite good. What a cleaver vegetable tray. It looks so inviting.

Rye, the cats made me smile. I use melatonin occasionally and I like it because it is gentle and you don’t wake up in the morning feeling like you’ve been drugged. I’m lucky that I’m a good sleeper. The colors in your picture were so vivid. Loved it. What great gifts.

Katla, boats are so much care and the maintenance is so expensive. I never had any interest in one but I know people who have one and even they say they are a lot of work. I’m sure after all the wonderful times you’ve had on it, it will be hard to give up. It’s like giving up a memory.

Machka, YEAH they are out!! You must feel so much better.

Heather, what a nice idea to give your friend a meditation bracelet. You are such a good friend.

Andipat, Welcome. You are part of the group just by posting. Tell us something about yourself and the name you want to be called.

Kelley, thanks for the info on water. That was interesting to learn that we lose the ability to recognize when we are thirsty as we age.

Lanette, I agree, dunking Snickerdoodles in the hot chocolate would be good! I love Snickerdoodles although I’ve never made them. Probably a good thing.

Karen, what a smart woman your mother was to enjoy her art before donating it. I was confused by the moderators popping up. Seemed weird. I like it as it is.

Penny, glad you could find a little enjoyment out of a wasted trip for the electrician appointment. OH, so glad to hear Mike is still around.

Lisa, didn’t realize about the links. Thanks.

Felicia, have a safe trip.

Janet, can you give the name of the FB page again.

I’ve decided to take next Tuesday off. Can’t seem to get into the vet for Allie’s booster shot. I will get the snow tires on in the morning, take DH to work and then go get the cat. It didn’t snow last night like it was supposed to and it is warmer too. Still at the same weight. I will be shocked when I get on and it in under 200 like I’ve been waiting for. Knowing me, I’ll burst into tears of joy.

Well back to work. I hate having lunch at my desk as I keep getting interrupted with work. Finally called the foot dr and made another appt. Now it’s my ankle that is giving me issues. I’ve been wearing my support and that helps although still getting a little pain. Without it, it really is painful. Don’t know what I did. Certainly did happen from exercising. DD and I are going to exercise with the kettlebells this weekend. I think once I get started and it becomes a routine, I’ll be more likely to continue. It’s just the learning a routine that I hate.

Well lunch is over so I guess I should get back to work. Nice chatting with you. Terry
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NYKaren: I appreciate the article that you shared. I have been able to stay in charge of my weight by continuously counting calories in and out. I can eat sweets and stay in control, but alcohol is a devil. If I drink alcohol I gain weight even if I am diligent about calorie counting. I suspect my "diligence" is not as good as it should be. :ohwell:

Machka: I'm happy that you are healing from your surgery and got a good report from the dentist. :smiley:

KJLaMore: DH gets seasick on the boat. He went there and did what needed to be done, but hasn't actually been out of the slip in well over a year, closer to two. :sad:

Barbie & Karen in VA: I think you understand the boat situation we're in very well. I'm the one who wants to hang on to it in hopes things will improve for him, but I think I'm being unrealistic. :ohwell:

Karen: I'm in agreement with you about the moderator. I am not interested in changing something that is so positive. This group is miraculous. :heart:

I seem to be fighting off something and hope to be feeling better soon. I'm wearing layers of clothing and sitting beside an electric heater, and I'm cold anyway. I'm planning to stay inside today. I hope to go to yoga tomorrow, but not out to the stable until I get past this cold spot.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is International Day for Tolerance!

“The International Day for Tolerance supports the notion that education is a key factor in preventing intolerance across the human race. On this day, we are encouraged to educate and learn how to practice solidarity between ethnic, social and cultural groups.” Seems like people need this more than ever – we’re in this thing together, after all!

Karen – Now snickerdoodles are definitely old favorites for me. I make them almost every Christmas. From looking at the recipe I think maybe I’ve had something like a hermit cookie, but I don’t remember ever hearing them called that.

Patsy – Welcome back! You’re right, with the holidays ahead of us, we need all the encouragement we can get! Do you have some books published, or are these children’s books your first?

Marcelyn – Love your pottery. You’ve got some lovely shapes there, and the walls look so delicate.

Joyce – Oh, dear, sounds like your sleep schedule is all confused now! Hope you got a decent night’s rest.

Michele – That chameleon would look so adorable in someone’s garden!

Machka – So glad the stitch removal went well! I can imagine that sitting in that dentist’s chair for ANYTHING might give you pause for awhile!

Andipat – Welcome to the group! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Lanette – Here in Texas, the question of whether or not to put beans in chili is very nearly a religious choice, and tolerance for the other camp is low! (I don’t put them in my chili, but my mom always put them in hers. I’m happy to eat it either way.)

Penny – Give Mike the reindeer a hello wave for me! I wish MFP would change the link option to open the link in a new window/tab. That would make it easier to stay here and still share useful resources. The inability to do that is why I post URLs in text instead of creating hyperlinks.

Rye – I used Shutterfly to make keepsake books from our family trip to Norway a few years ago. I bought a whole bunch of copies and gave them to everyone for Christmas that year. It ended up being a really special way to remember our trip together.

Lisa – Perfect solution to the “group” question!

Rye – Woohoo! Congratulations on losing 20% of your starter weight!

My opinion about the group suggestion from Sugar is that our monthly thread works fine for me. Converting ourselves to a group might make it easier to go back and find posts, but I kind of like the open nature of the forum thread.

I guess the holiday rush has officially started. The foster greyhound went back to her owner yesterday so our little family is back to normal. Tomorrow we leave for College Station for a pre-Thanksgiving reunion with college friends. Then we’ll be back for three days before we head down to Houston for actual Thanksgiving with my family. I don’t know if Philip’s schedule will lend itself to Christmas travel, so I’m looking forward to spending some time with them. We’ll be camped out on sofas in my dad’s small condo, though, so it’ll be a pretty short visit. We have to swing by the river house afterwards to shut everything down for the winter. My brother was supposed to be there tomorrow so I didn’t winterize when I left last weekend. It’s pretty far out of our way, but I think it’ll be easier for us to take care of it than for anybody else.

Now I’ve got to figure out what I’m taking for the potluck dinner this weekend, so I’d better go finish my work day so I can get to cooking.

Wishing you all a lovely day!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about keeping the forum month to month—this is a touchstone for me. Hope my link to the nyt article didn’t awaken the sleeping moderator. :#

Well I saw the dermatologist and I have a staff infection where I’ve been scratching too much!! Gotta get that under control with antibiotic and the strongest steroid cream. Have to follow up in another 2 weeks!!!

DH and I are dreaming of travel and retirement, it’s all we talk about seems like. Gotta run, getting my hair colored!

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3