WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options
mcztncaoetv4.jpg

Welcome to a new month and new year. Whether you have been part of this community in the past or have just found us, I hope that you will find the support you need for 2018

The name of the thread is "Women Ages 50+" but all women are welcome.

For many people the beginning of a new month or a new year is a clean slate and an opportunity to begin new attitudes and behaviours.

The journey to ongoing health and fitness is best done with encouraging and supportive companions. I hope you will find them here.

December Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk an average of 15,000 steps a day (done)
*scan photos and documents so they can be discarded (worked on this almost every day)
*weight training three days a week (12 times in December)

January Resolutions
*sort, organize, and discard line dance step sheets
*weight training three days a week
*write an understandable version of the pattern for the hat and scarf I just knit
*average 15,000 steps a day

Be sure to bookmark the page so you can find it again. Also sign your post with a name and location to make it more personal (it can be a nickname or screen name and a general location if you want to be more private).

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Hi Sisters, just woke up to 2018. Looking pretty good outside. I have a few whines and worries but I am not going to dwell on them. I am just going to send blessings to everyone for a great year, better than last year in every way.

Kelly, we have around 400 hives this year and we are producing honey that is being exported to China, but we have been using a NZ buyer... This year we want to sell direct through our own export license and start getting paid better. Our goal is to eventually run 1500 hives. 400 is a lot of hives to run when you are already working a full-time job! We have got two girls that are working in the business part-time right now. This year we went into partnership with a wealthy investor who has built the honey factory on his property. As soon as the paperwork and certification come through, we will be extracting our honey there. This investor's daughter is one of the girls who is working part-time in the business. Some of our hives are on this investor's farm property, but a lot of our hives are put on "hive sites" that we lease on fairly short contracts. We really need to buy more land on which we can run our hives that will guarantee the sites as that is the one "weak link" in our business plan. Bee keepers are fighting fiercely for manuka sites and the rich companies are buying up land everywhere and offering land owners higher site fees to steal sites off the smaller beekeepers. We have also had to brand all our frames in an attempt to stop thieves. Hives are getting stolen by organized crime groups here. The other thing we are looking into is planting manuka bushes and having "manuka plantations" that will not only produce manuka honey but manuka oil. Lots of possibilities exist for expansion in various areas, including propolis and pollen, venom and royal jelly. Bee products are endless. So much to learn and try out... The future is looking bright and exciting. The present is a real struggle to meet endless bills and fix endless problems...LOL. Thank God for my faith and sense of humour!
    <3 Wendy

I hope it all works out for you!

I think some of the Tasmanian beekeepers experience similar things. I'm not sure what the situation is with the leatherwood here. Leatherwood is Tasmania's signature honey, and I know that some years it is harder to come by than others.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Happy New Year in Australia! !! We're counting down the last few hours of 2017 here in South Africa. We'll probably spend the countdown in oyr swimming pool - it's so hot! Lots of love to our English and American friends. See you next year.

Bianca

It's warm here too, but only about 20C. Not really warm enough for a pool ... although, that said, there were a few in swimming at the beach when I was down there jogging.

BTW - We've got several (at least 3) different protea bushes in our yard. Two are quite large. I understand that protea are a South African plant. Right now, one is not blooming, one is just finishing, and the third is starting.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Goals for 2018 ... quite similar to last year's goals. :)

Cycle more than 2017. 2017's total was 6365 km. I want to cycle as much or more than that in 2018.

Complete Petite Year Round Randonneur. This is a challenge where we have to do a 50 km ride each month for a total of 600 km. Yeah, they reduced it from last year, so we might do the reduced amount or aim for what we did last year. The challenge started in November (that's when the Audax/Randonneuring year starts), so we've done 2 already.

We've done several CAM challenges (Century A Month, where we ride a 100 mile ride each month of the year), and, since we did it last year, we would like to do that again. Go for 24 months in a row! [edited by mods]

Complete Super Randonneur. A Super Randonneur is Audax/Randonneuring's standard series and the series which is required to qualify for longer rides in most cases.  It consists of one ride each of 200 km, 300 km 400 km, and 600 km, each of which has to be completed within a certain time limit.

Complete a 1000 km randonnee. This might be a long-shot. However, if the 600 km event goes well, maybe …
    One 1000 km month.

Cycle up Mt Wellington again.

Cycletouring.

Run a 10K event. If that goes well, maybe even try for a half marathon later in the year.

Walk a minimum of 1000 km, but hopefully beat last year's total of 1302.5 km.

Hike up a mountain or two.

Include some extra stuff like rowing, canoeing, weightlifting and maybe a bit of yoga. Improving my core strength and flexibility would probably be a good thing.

Complete at least 2 more courses at university.

Figure out what I want to do with my website ... and do it!

Travel ... of course. That's always on the list.

Machka in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Thank you, I'm very glad they enjoyed the ornaments. Makes it that much more special <3

Janetr OKC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to one and all!
    Thank you Barbie for moving us forward into the new year!
    Hugs for all!
    Cheri
    in very chilly TX
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)