Do you ever wish someone had "called you out" over your weight?

Options
vegaslounge
vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I was a fat kid, I will make no bones about it. It seems to have started when I was 8-9 – previous photos showed a normal, even kinda-skinny little girl. There is no trauma in my background, I was never molested, my parents were more-than-less happily married. But, I liked to eat and I just got fat.

I only recall one instance where my weight was an issue with peers, when, in 5th grade, we were illustrating poems we had written about our recent field trip to a water park. I drew myself going down a slide and a desk mate remarked, “you didn’t look like that, you’re bigger”. So…I redrew myself to reflect a bigger size. But, I didn’t feel any shame over it, it was almost constructive criticism.

Middle school was miserable for me, and I was bullied, but not for my weight– which was rapidly escalating out of control. I distinctly remember being weighed in gym class and the scale reading 160. I was 11 years old. But again– I was not bullied because of my weight. It was more due to my shyness, awful, AWFUL haircut, 1970s librarian glasses, and general bookishness.

High school was amazing. Loved every minute aside from math and chem classes (hey, I’m into history, art and English lit). Had great friends, made decent grades, got along with everyone– jocks, cheerleaders, nerds and stoners and Goths. And all the while, I was creeping further and further up the scale. I have no idea how much I weighed at this time because I never checked, but I had to have been around 180 at 5’6".

I did not take my weight seriously until I passed out on the stoop of my NYC apt and woke up on the sidewalk with a cluster of strangers surrounding me telling me it’s okay, they’ve called an ambulance, just hold still. Hospital weighs me at 202. Blood pressure is crazy, cholesterol is worrying, I’m 24 years old and they’re discussing long-term medication.

I’m 32 now. In those intervening years I’d gotten down to 157, am currently at 170 (I lost my mother recently and stress-ate like an SOB) and I’ll be damned if I get to 202, or even over 170 again.

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if someone had brought my weight to my attention earlier. As I spent my tween/adolescence in LA– the most image-conscious city in the world– it seems almost crazy this WASN’T something I was picked on for. But, it was never mentioned. While obviously bullying and fat-shaming for the sake of being a prick is wrong…nobody– not parents, teachers, etc ever brought it up to me that I was overweight.

What I wish is that I had been aware of my weight at an earlier age so I could have fixed it sooner. I knew I couldn’t keep up with the other kids at PE, I wheezed after a short jog, but I didn’t know WHY. I had no concept of calories or portion sizes and my weight wasn’t made a big deal of either with family or peers. In many ways I’m glad– there are so many horror stories of kids being bullied for their weight. But at the same time…I wish someone would have told me, because I honestly never knew.

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Definitely a question worth pondering. I watched my mother yo-yo diet my whole childhood and that trend continues to this day (she's now 79). I remember one time when she got very thin by joining TOPS and half-starving herself. She was about 5'6" and 115 lbs at her lowest. TOPS is Take Off Pounds Sensibly, which it really wasn't - at least not for her. My (likely) good-intentioned father mentioned that I was now bigger than mom and my butt was getting a little wide "honey". Thus began the repeating pattern of yo-yo'ing for myself. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. However, in retrospect - would I have just continued to gain had he said nothing?