WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    "lhscapil wrote: »
    Regarding handspinning - I did it for years! Ended up with nasty thumb tendonitis and surgery like carpal tunnel. So I sold my wheels and gave it up for good. It was a lot like patting the head and rubbing the tummy at the same time, but at the same time kind of therapeutic to hear the whirr of the wheel and feel the fiber in my hands.

Funny thing was, as I was attempting it for the first time, I was wondering about the ergonomics of it all!

M in Oz

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Machka- sorry to hear that! I would not ever want anyone to experience what I did. I hope yours clears up when you're through with peri menopause! Thanks for the information on ginger tablets.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka- sorry to hear that! I would not ever want anyone to experience what I did. I hope yours clears up when you're through with peri menopause! Thanks for the information on ginger tablets.

<3

Mary from Arizona

Thankfully, it has eased up quite a bit in the last year or so ... about the time I started skipping the occasional period. So I'm hoping that as my periods stop, it will go away completely.

M in Oz

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Mary, my father in law had it. Could not get out of bed for months without head whirling and risk of falling. Eventually he had surgery which made him deaf in one ear in order to be able to function normally otherwise. Not nice and very debilitating. He is way better now with his hearing aid. <3 Wendy
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes with my vertigo! Still waiting for it to go go go… Not as bad today though. I was able to get up and do a couple of things. I don't think I have an ear infection because that is generally associated with pain. I'm going to go sit in the hot tub and see if that can help with my sinuses. It may still be but I am a little stuffed up from the flu and bronchitis.

Lanette- you have such a great sense of humor!

<3

Mary from Arizona

Google vertigo exercise. I did it and darn, if it worked. If you can't find it, click on me!
    Becca
    Someone that has been there! So has Heather's husband!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Rori - congratulations on your retirement!

Heather - congratulations on your home! It's beautiful!

Sorry I have not been around. I have been battling vertigo for the last three days. I tried the maneuver that everyone talks about but it made it 100 times worse. I thought my head was going to explode. Just taking it easy and fighting what feels like carsickness because of the dizziness.

<3

Mary from Arizona
    I recd some meds like Dramamine from the doctor, and got on cold medicine. The exercises aren't fun, but its putting the crystals back where they belong. It involves looking a certain place, then moving your body, holding that until the swirling stops then timing 30 seconds. Follow the test exactly, it really does work. Also having medicine after you are through helps. This is twice a day. Hope you feel better!
    Becca
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.35min, 145mhr, 11.7amph. 1.4mi= 85c
    apple watch- 69c
    *new* HELIX Machine- 15min, 60ar, 120ahr, 139mhr, lvl3and5, 1.40mi= 120c
    apple watch-
    *new* STAIRSTEPPER- 15min, 50floors, lvl4-7, 131mhr, 121ahr= 122c
    apple watch- 128c
    floor exercises- 11.56min, 2sets of 10ea- bounce single leg toe touches, planks elbows to hands, planks, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, crunches, sit-ups, on butt-knees to chest, 136mhr= 74c
    apple watch- 78c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.38min, 15.7amph, 134mhr, 1.4mi= 56c
    apple watch- 50c
    Bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.41min, 11.6amph, 150mhr, 3mi= 154c
    apple watch- 117c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.42min, 11.05min mi, 150mhr .5mi= 68c
    apple watch- 56c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.57min, 132ahr, 151mhr, 9.37min mi, .5mi= 65c
    apple watch- 56c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 20.24min, 7.6amph, 144mhr, 2.5mi= 198c
    apple watch- 147c

total cal 942
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif It is bedtime for me and tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand so it must be time for the new thread for March.

Here is the link:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10647066/women-ages-50-for-march-2018#latest
  • knjiuv
    knjiuv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow, we were wordy since yesterday.

I think it was Katla that said she hoped Medicare helped me with my expenses. The bill I was speaking of was from my orthopedic appointment I had back when I was seeing him. I have been discharged from him for quite a while. So those expenses won't be coming up again. I was just saying that it's terrible what they charge in that quick 10 minute time when they come in the exam room that you have been in for quite a while,M look at your X-rays and give their opinion. Wish I could have made that much an hour when I was working,

And speaking of working, congrats Rori! Now you can go around and recruite people like Lisa all the time to fill open positions. When Charlie retired, his first days were kind of like 'what do I do'.

Sharon, here in the states the road to disability is a bit different. You file your paperwork with Social Security and sit and wait. I was just like the majority of people and got a rejection letter. So you reapply. After 3 rejections, you go before a judge. It's before a judge that you really can plead your case. There was this one person there that told the judge that with the disabilities I had that I would be calling in sick X amount of days a month. I was happy yet sad the day I got my papers in the mail, it said I was approved yet it said I was permaenetly disabled. Those words just hit me and went through me like a knife. But that check each month is so nice and you know that both you and your budget can have a relief.

Heather, that hous is so cute. I love the front yard. I'm with the others, I want pictures!

Wendy, I think you can get tv series also. Have you seen This is us?

I'm trying to type during the first episode of Survivor. Gotta go

Joyce, Indiana
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island,
    But my son is 28 now!!! Lol! I shall be patient! Plus when we live with him, I will get him business cards and secretly hand them out!!! Too strong.... OK OK..
    Becca
  • sdjm62
    sdjm62 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Kelly, congrats on the awesome inspection! (as if it would go any other way!)
    Allie, so happy to hear that your brother is stepping up and dealing with some of your dad's stuff! The outdoor zen den sounds lovely!
    Pip, burpees are misnamed, in my opinion! The real name is barfies!!! Hate them!
    Rori, congrats on your retirement! The zen den sounds wonderful!
    Heather, congrats on your new home! So happy for you! We moved just 8 mos ago, it's so wonderful to be somewhere you really want to be! And it looks lovely!
    Sharon, so glad you took your daughter with you, to speak for you. Also glad that you are off for March and hopefully you will win your challenge and get disability. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! And you should absolutely ask for gas money! You're not a taxi service, after all. I'm sure you love helping out your granddaughter, but I kinda get the feeling you don't care for her mother, so I can understand your reluctance to want to help her!
    Katla, I hope your headache takes a hike and soon!
    Rye, that kinda sucks about your fridge.... wish I had some words of wisdom, but I got nothin'. Hope you can find a solution.
    Mary, oh dear! I do hope your vertigo takes the same hike as Katla's headache! Update: glad to hear that you are feeling better, but yes, you should give it a day or two before restarting vigorous exercise!
    Becca, those are 3 of my fave movies too! Also Dirty Dancing, anything with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts and, strangely enough, Heartbreak Ridge with Clint Eastwood! Congrats on the bead! I don't know how old your son is, but don't stress about a girlfriend. My oldest was 28 before he met his fiancee (wedding in May) and I was despairing that he would ever find someone, and then one day...POOF! Into his life she came! And she is a wonderful young lady! Now my younger son....... sigh. Nothing permanent for him yet and he's 29 now!
    Kerri, HUGS to you, my dear! Hoping you can kick that fatty liver right on outta there! Well, not the whole liver, you understand, just the fatty part.... Sounds like a reasonable amount of time to lose 15 lbs, and the foods list seems reasonable, except for the no salt..... Although with no bread or white rice and I assume no white potatoes, that would cut out a lot of salt and sugar right there.
    Yvonne, good luck with the taxes and probate and everything! And you're right, since when is a will not a legal document??? That was all I needed, well, that and a death certificate, to get my dad's banking and other stuff taken care of. Different country (I'm in Canada), different laws, I guess.
    Wendy, there's a LOT of stuff of Netflix! Some fave series for me Grace and Frankie (Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda), Father Brown Mysteries, Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries, and my brain has gone blank..... You can scroll thru tho and find all kinds of stuff! I scrolled and wrote down a bunch that I want to see, will get to them eventually! lol
    Well, another month is pretty much done. I did not do so great this month, only down 1.4 lbs when my goal is 6. sigh. Oh well, I did have some back issues that prevented me from exercising for a couple of weeks. I am feeling much better now, just need to stay on track. If I can lose 10 lbs over March and April and then maybe a few more in May, I will be looking pretty good in the dress for the wedding! Today has been a good day, so far anyway. Still have dinner and after dinner to go! Will have to remember to brush my teeth right after dinner. I was feeling kind of munchie this afternoon so instead of sitting in the living room (very close to kitchen) I decided to come upstairs where my computer is. Much better for my waistline! lol
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

☺️ burpees are misnamed, in my opinion! The real name is barfies!!! Lol
    Sue in Troutdale, OR
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Becca- thanks for the information. I tried a maneuver but that made it feel like my head was going to explode. It wasn't at all like the one you described. If you have a link would you message it to me or put it on here since we're not trying to make money on it LOL I definitely am going to get Dramamine to have on hand.

Wendy - i'm just wondering if something like this isn't genetic. I know that my sister and nephew have issues with their ears. I would go for the operation if this continues as well. Three days of it was agony.

Dana- i'm sorry to hear about the stress you are going through. Better to just let it go and have a fantastic life with your husband!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif It is bedtime for me and tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand so it must be time for the new thread for March.

Here is the link:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10647066/women-ages-50-for-march-2018#latest

See Barbie's quote above - we've begun the March thread, a chance to wipe February off the board and start fresh. See you there!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    webmd.com has the Epley manoeuvre for vertigo. I watched it on Utube, done by two doctors. You can't do it for yourself, you need someone very firm and determined to do it to you as it is extremely frightening and does feel like your head is exploding. My DH was screaming in panic. But it totally worked, in one session.
    Find a strong, reassuring and determined person to help you. We did it on the foot of the double bed.

Best thing ever!
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather - thanks! I watched the video and will have DH assist me if this is still here or comes back. I still don't feel normal. Not dizzy anymore though. I still feel like something is not quite right with my right ear. That's why I'm still up!

<3

Mary