Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't get holiday pay where I work, but I volunteered to cover the other auditor's shift on Christmas Eve anyway. I figure the extra shift is still extra $, and working overnight, I'm not exactly missing out on any festivities...though my family assures me I better be ready to open presents as soon as I get home...I think I can handle that....

I don't get extra holiday pay either. It's the same rate regardless if it's a holiday or not. I volunteer every year to work Xmas though since I am the only one out of my working crew that does not have kids. I don't mind either, it's really nice and quiet with little to do.

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Sooo...looks like I'm more or less obligated to go to the company Christmas party. It's Monday and I have to take something. What should I make?

Hmmm, cookies maybe? If it were me and it was last minute, i.e. no time to plan, I'd cheat and bring store bought cookies. XD
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs!

Last week was our work's Christmas dinner. Aaaand since it is my night time, I missed out. Didn't even get a gift card for a meal on them. Same thing last year...oh well...life of a thirdshifter...always looked over...

• Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Oh, and here is a tmi tidbit courtesy of me. Several years ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. Docs checked it out, no biggie, it will go away on its own most likely. I could FEEL it, kinda like gas or or baby kicks or a balloon being inflated slightly and deflated. Eventually, went away. The other day, I felt it again. On Friday, it felt like baby kicks! Not painful but intense. And I can feel it (weird sensations) down in my hip. I know I'm not pregnant, fyi. So I google it. Apparently when ovarian cysts get big (like a mothertruckin' grapefruit big) they can present this symptom. Ga-rate. Great. So I called the doc and was like "Uh, my kiddo's birthday party is tonight...do I need to go to the ER or can this wait?" They said as long as I wasn't in any pain, I could wait. So for the last two days, it feels like a baby is in my left hip/lower abdomen kicking around off and on. Soooo...I have a feeling I'll be needing surgery to get that sucker removed...assuming there is something actually there. My luck, they're will be nothing...just phantom baby kicks...

I had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit that I had to have surgery for about 3 years ago...it wasn't much fun. But what made it really bad is I developed a hip-to-ankle blood clot the day after. The thing that no one tells you about those is that they're incredibly painful. When I 1st got home from the hospital (I was in 8 days), I couldn't even stand for anyone to sit on the end of my bed because even that much movement was excruciating.

Eek. I'm always worried about blood clots. My grandma's sister died from the result of one and everytime I get a twinge of pain in my leg I think it is gonna take me out! Scary.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs!

Last week was our work's Christmas dinner. Aaaand since it is my night time, I missed out. Didn't even get a gift card for a meal on them. Same thing last year...oh well...life of a thirdshifter...always looked over...

Truth. The only way I even found out about the party was because one of my coworkers (who goes to cosmetology school and was cutting my hair on my day off) asked me if I was going.

• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No bakes are yummy and pretty quick to make. But I love deviled eggs too, I need to make some myself. I skipped our dept's Christmas party.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    TBH, I would have skipped ours even if I would have been able to go...not my jam...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options
    No holiday pay here for the doctors but the staff gets holiday pay. Not required for emergency facilities but I felt like it was the right thing to do.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yeah!!! They opened my favorite XC ski course and I'm healing fast so I should be out tomorrow skiing again. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Sounds like I have a cat in. See you guys tonight. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I'm thinking mini pizzas with biscuit dough, but transporting them might be a pain.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Holy frak I'm tired tonight, y'all.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Holy frak I'm tired tonight, y'all.

Me too.... :weary:

So I'll be letting SSP's dogs out in the morning and then I'm DONE caring for his dogs after that. He can spend the rest of Monday and Tuesday not hearing a peep from me and I'll give him his key back on Friday when we work together.
    My coffee tastes smurfy tonight. I don't really like it but I need the CAFFEINE!

I went to the department's Holiday party and then the Bastrop Campus wide Holiday party. The campus wide holiday party was fun because it was warm enough for me to wear leggings and a tunic top with some high heels and a lot of the (male) staff was wondering who I was. :blush:

Mr. David Ward from housekeeping made a BIG freaking deal about how much weight I had lost as soon as I walked through the door. He is super loud and a little nuts I think. Like, maybe he should be on medication, nuts.

I was about halfway through a plate of WAY too salty turkey, yucky stuffing, and delicious green beans with some bland mashed potatoes when I stopped eating. I was like. "Why should I waste my precious "delicious points"(calories) on THIS crap?!" I pushed the plate away and watched Jeanette(magic thyroid pill) eat everything on hers and then say "That really didn't taste very good"
    I said, "Then why did you eat it?"
    "Well it was free and it's here. Aren't you going to eat the rest of yours?"
    "Nope. I have way better things to eat when I get back home."
    Queue her eating the rest of my food, plus all the candy and cookies in her MD Anderson cups that we got. I reckon if she could have eaten the hot cocoa powder without looking like a freak, she might have.
    I left well enough alone. She could still be in denial. Not my problem.
    I worked with Officer Whitehead last night who kept insisting that I eat these Andes chocolate mint things. I ate three to accommodate her but after she left I read an interesting article. I don't think the article relates to her intent. I think she just didn't want to eat all of the chocolates by herself, but it brought to light some interesting thoughts.

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/action-offends-the-inactive#.VnZJ3_-jqm4.facebook

"You're not imagining it. When you decide to better yourself, you'll be immediately surrounded by people trying to stop you. Action, it seems, offends the inactive.

They'll usually be subtle about it. Offering you foods that work against your nutrition plan, often presented as gifts or treats. Expressing false worry about your supplement usage, your food choices, and the number of days you go to the gym. They'll find plausible reasons for you to cheat on your diet or skip a workout. They'll encourage you to be discouraged. They'll even get mad at you for how your positive choices are affecting their lives."

I realized after reading it that SSP, my parents, my MFP friends, and my real life friend Alycia, have never done that. They've been encouraging and have asked questions but have never been condescending or suggested I do anything to set back my progress.
    I want ya'll to know that I really appreciate that. :heart:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I actually decided not to go. I'm just too tired.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    OMG, that shizz about the hot cocoa powder just about made me spit my tea out. I was lol'ing for realz.

I used to be that person that finished food even if it wasn't "good". Once in awhile I'll catch myself doing it but more often than not, if I'm not loving it, I'm not eating it. I only finish foods that I really dig, but if I'm feeling meh about it...it isn't worth those calories! (I'm still entirely guilty of eating way too much of things that are my favorites...that stuff I'll eat until I'm uncomfortably full!) Eating stuff out of the vending machine at work was a tough lesson to learn! Stuff looks tasty but tastes like Play-Doh and runs high enough on calories to be considered a meal!

My fiance isn't a saboteur but if I am eating well/dieting/whatever and I'm like "Let's get a pizza", he will never be like "Are you sure?", he just goes along with it. I used to tell him to "check" me on stuff like that but he wouldn't. He says he feels like he is policing me and it makes him feel bad. I used to make him hide things around the house (cookies/chocolates) and if was having a bad day I'd call him and be like "Where are one of the cookies?", and he reveals one of the spots. He has hidden stuff in the doorbell chime in the hallway, vents, his closet etc. I've got no self-control...
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird I hope that made you feel awesome, that you were unrecognizable. Kudos on the self-discipline too, I'm just now starting to get to that point where I don't want to waste calories on crappy food.

All I can say is yay!!!!!! And that was a good article, thanks for sharing
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius Funnily enough, I went home and had a half a slice of pizza after the holiday party! :lol:
    WAY better than wasting delicious points on yucky food.
    If I love something, I tend to overindulge, so if I can limit the 'meh' stuff, it balances out okay.

@bethanie0825 Well, one coworker blamed it on the fact that I work nights but I know I met a lot of those people when I first started. Particularly the animal techs. Matt didn't know me and we played ping pong during lunch my second, third and fifth day on the job!

It definitely made me feel good. I think with the outfit and the sunglasses on my head, I looked a bit like a celebrity. :grin: Yet, at the same time it was disappointing that so few people actually approached me. :disappointed:
    I dunno, maybe I'm too sexy for this place. :wink: :smirk:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Man that was a busy day! Now I have a stack of records that's 2" thick! I'm going to be doing records until Tuesday. If I don't pop back in here at some point, you'll know why.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Man that was a busy day! Now I have a stack of records that's 2" thick! I'm going to be doing records until Tuesday. If I don't pop back in here at some point, you'll know why.

Wow....and I was all smurfy about having to do the stupid phone test....Have fun with your paperwork @sufferlandrian!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    That's a few NSVs you're looking at there, @lilaclovebird! Nice work.
    @sufferlandrian -that sucks...good luck!