Goal weight for women who are 5'1-5'2

Options
Title pretty much says it all... I am 5'1 1/2 and I started out at 157lbs and am currently down to 143 but still feel like I have a way to go before I will be happy with my weight. I am the mom of 3 small children, age 4 and twins that will be two next month. After I gave birth to my twins I lost weight really quickly and got down to my smallest adult weight of 136. I felt good at that weight but was still not toned like i wanted to be. I eventually stopped watching my weight when I went back to work. With the stress of working full time (12 hour night shifts) and have 3 small children and never getting any sleep the last thing on my mind was eating healthy. So here I am trying again to lose weight and become healthy. I have always been overweight and my highest non pregnancy weight was 190. I never want to get back to that point again so I'm hoping I can lose the weight this time and work on becoming more tone and stay healthy for myself and my family. Sorry for making this so long but wanted to tell you all a little about me.
If anyone has any before and after pictures they want to share I would love to see them:) if anyone would like to add me as a friend I could definately use support during this journey! :)

Replies

• Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Don't remember where i read it....But, I once read that at 5ft one should weight 100lbs, every inch after that is another 5 lbs. So me, for example at 5'3 1/2, I should weigh 117 1/2 ish pounds. I don't really like weighing that low tho, I feel I look best at about 121-125 :) So really it's all what YOU like yourself at!!!
    Good luck on your journey!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and my goal is 115lbs, at my smallest I was 120lbs and felt great! Good Luck!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am 5.2 and gained over 10lbs in a year last year. I had been struggling to stay at my pre pregnancy weight since i had my son 5 years ago. my comfort zone is 125 and i was 130 when i got pregnant. so all i wanted to do was get back to 130 at least. i couldn't believe how i gained over 10 lbs in less then a year ( actually 6 months) and was over 140 now. so i started to get healthier and start exercising end of October when my son was turning 5. my goal was to loose 10 lbs in 2 months by the end of the year. and then work on the other 5 in the beginning of the year. all in all i wasted 15 lbs off by march 20th. well almost 4 months later and i have only taken 6-7 lbs off, it's been so hard! i have stalled at 133 for a month now! i did 30ds in dec and i don't loose any weight from it, actually gained 3lbs.... when it was over i dropped those 3lbs in a few days though, i only lost 2 inches off my hips and belly and 1 off my waist. i got bummed about it all in jan as well as i had some personal issues going on and i stopped exercising, and i figured i could do it only with diet. Well i guess not, couldn't lose 1 lb, so i started exercising again last week, 30 min cardio and i have re started my 30ds dvd the other day. I hope i can get at least 5 lbs of fmy by march 20th goal...
  • elliek968
    Options
    I am about 5'1. I don't think I have ever weighed 100 lb except as a teenager. My goal is around 135 lbs. That's about as slim as I got when I was around 35-40 yrs old and doing WW at the time. I am 53 now and Tried WW last year and a total flop. With MFP, I have been successful on my weight loss journey. You need to do what feels comfortable for you. Good luck on your journey

13810850.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well I'm five foot one and I think that 100lbs is a ridiculously low weight for somebody of my height!! In fact I think that'd be a bmi of 19 or so, so it'd be officially underweight.

I was 124lbs when I started my health kick at the beginning of the year. I wanted to lose a few pounds. I had a thirty inch waist. Well, it turns out I've put ON weight and i'm now 126lbs but I look better, my clothes are looser, i'm feeling fit and strong and my waist is getting smaller (slowly but gradually).

I don't feel 'fat', I feel that I am not fashion-slim. But I'd wonder at the wisdom of somebody my height trying to weigh less than 118lbs. Obviously depends on your metabolism and your build, but .......... there are limits.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi
    First welcome to your healthier lifestyle.
    I'm 5'1 and went from 173lbs to 119lbs(as of this week)
    Just trying to tone out the last few bits but otherwise very happy with myself now.
    For the record I can't recall ever being this weight in my adult life, only in high school.
    So that feels great.
    If you want it, you can achieve it and making good food choices (all in moderation) is a huge part of getting there. Exercise and toning works the jiggly bits.
    Good LUCK !!
  • MaggiePuccini
    Options
    Don't remember where i read it....But, I once read that at 5ft one should weight 100lbs, every inch after that is another 5 lbs. So me, for example at 5'3 1/2, I should weigh 117 1/2 ish pounds. I don't really like weighing that low tho, I feel I look best at about 121-125 :) So really it's all what YOU like yourself at!!!

Who wrote that!? hugh heffernan? Anna Wintour! ;-)
  • synchorswim
    synchorswim Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    O right, like I will ever see that weight!!!
    I am 5'1" and weigh 180.

I am solid though, except in my thighs and belly... I carry my weight well, but would love love love to be back under 150....
  • mariiarocci
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' and look best 96-100. Already there, maintaining now.
    It really all depends on frame/muscle too :)
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options

LMAO, like i said don't remember, but have read it more than once. And I DO NOT FOLLOW that for myself :)
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and I weighed 115lbs as a teenager and I loved the body! Actually, had I gotten my dream body from that point...I would of weighed more because of the muscle! LOL It really depends a lot on your structure and things like that. I don't have an exact goal weight...I have mini goal weights and I'm going from there. BUT I'm going more for the way my body look rather than what the scale says. If I can have my dream body and the scale says 130...I'll take it! hehe
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This is pretty standard

For a guy it is 106 at 5' and add 6lbs/inch. Now this and the one above for women is for medium frame, if you have a large frame or carry a lot of muscle the "ideal" would be 10% higher. so for a 5'1" female would be 105 for medium frame and 115.5 for larger frame or if you carry a lot of muscle.

This works quite well for most people I know, my mother who is 59 is 5'1" 115 and has a little more fat than ideal, my wife is 5'4" and 119 and looks quite normal not skinny at all (thin, not skinny)

As for men I am 2 lbs under what the equation would have me as "ideal".
  • bcleckner
    Options
    I am 5' and I think 100 lbs is too thin for my age (54). I will be thrilled if I can reach 120 and stay there. :tongue:
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well I'm five foot one and I think that 100lbs is a ridiculously low weight for somebody of my height!! In fact I think that'd be a bmi of 19 or so, so it'd be officially underweight.

I was 124lbs when I started my health kick at the beginning of the year. I wanted to lose a few pounds. I had a thirty inch waist. Well, it turns out I've put ON weight and i'm now 126lbs but I look better, my clothes are looser, i'm feeling fit and strong and my waist is getting smaller (slowly but gradually).

I don't feel 'fat', I feel that I am not fashion-slim. But I'd wonder at the wisdom of somebody my height trying to weigh less than 118lbs. Obviously depends on your metabolism and your build, but .......... there are limits.

A BMI of 19 is still within the "normal" range.
  • i'm 5'2" and my goal is between 110-115. I am at 134 and I still really thick in the middle and I was at 125 in high school playing volleyball and wasn't then either.
  • bcleckner
    Options
    Congrats Sweets! Great job. Just getting started at being serious about this.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    I am 5'1.5" and I am about 120lbs. Any smaller and I look too gross and boney. I was 163 when I started and never thought even this would be atainable. You need to pick a "SIZE" not a weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, and many other factors play into weight. Do not focus on the scale, focus on how you look!!!! 120 on me may be a totally diff 120 on someone else.....

Keep in mind nobody sees the scale, they see you...so how you look is WAY more important!!!
  • MaggiePuccini
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' and look best 96-100. Already there, maintaining now.
    It really all depends on frame/muscle too :)

can i see your diary?
  • Sabdavis
    Sabdavis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, but I have a lot of muscle (under all this fat!). I would think 130-135 would be ideal. I set my goal as 140 and I can reassess when I get there.

9753027.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MaggiePuccini
    Options

A BMI of 19 is still within the "normal" range.

No it isn't ! Under 20 is underweight, 20-25 is 'normal'. 26-30 is overweight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!