What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The stuff from fast food restaurants. I don't eat Whoppers at BK or those burgers topped with eggs at Red Robin, but no wonder we have an obesity epidemic!

Two days ago I had an Einstein's bagel and it turned out to be 290 calories, even without a topping. I wont' be eating those very often.
  • katiess1128
    katiess1128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

If you get Natural peanut butter, it's so much better for you! It may be a little higher in calories/fat, but if you stick with just a tablespoon or so, it isn't bad at all- it actually has good fat in it! :)
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Weirdly flour! I used to think my homemade pizzas were really good cause they were, well, homemade! Then I logged it on mfp and found the base alone to be nearly 400 cals. Then add topping. I used to have two!!

same here for the homemade pizzas! grrr tip use small tortillas instead! works just as well and 1/8 of the cals! :bigsmile:

and bloody nuts of allsorts i love nuts :huh: yes yes in all ways! :wink:

I recommend a paleo pizza. You use cauliflower for the crust instead of dough. Works like a charm. Unless you do it wrong...then it's soggy.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sushi - even sashimi (no rice). It was like 150-200 per piece, I think. Nuts I was surprised by. And also apples!

I added cinnamon the other day and it was 6 calories per teaspoon. I know that's nothing, but most spices don't have calories, so I was surprised.

Re: the chicken, I live off the stuff. I weigh it and eat between 6-8 oz each time, and don't find it too excessive calorie-wise.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    nuts,cereals, feta cheese,ribs and vodka.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Movie theater popcorn - large has 1,000, so opt for small you say? That is only 600 calories, in popcorn!
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Pei Wei Spicy Chicken. I knew it was bad for me but 1400 calories for a meal?! NOT including the rice! Holy cow, no wonder I'm fat, I was eating that at least once a week for a good 5 months.
  • amyoliver85
    Options
    I definitely agree with the lean meat notion. Even grilled chicken has more calories than I thought. I've definitely learned to pay attention to portion sizes when it comes to my protein. About the strawberries... 200 cal for a cup??? I feel like someone had to have made a mistake when entering it to the database!!! :flowerforyou:

On the strawberries. That's exactly what I said. I always tell everyone I know to always weigh their strawberries, hull them, and only use the MFP entries ending in USDA for fresh foods. It's good to also check the USDA. People make up the strangest entries sometimes. I find "mistakes" all the time. But I think they're less mistakes as people guessing or lying their way to a healthy lifestyle.

On the lean meat, I think it's interesting that you and some other people think it's a lot of calories. I actually find 110-120 for 4 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breast to be rather reasonable. And it's not much more for a lean steak of the same size. When paired appropriately with plenty of veggies, I find that to be just about right.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yea. the smoothies I make on occasion.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    cranberry juice has the same calories pretty much as coca cola

Good call.

I also hate the myth that cranberry juice can help with cystitis/kidney infections - it is so loaded with sugar to make it palatable that it is just about the worst thing you can use and it will actually aggravate it.
  • amyoliver85
    Options
    nuts,cereals, feta cheese,ribs and vodka.

I think all cheese are really caloric. And it's depressing. But I've found feta to be more reasonable than others, especially for the nutritious content and flavor aspect. Have you looked for Athenos Reduced Fat feta cheese? It takes down the calories quite a bit. And there's always coupons for it on the internet or in the stores.