What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ribs
    chicken wings
    chicken divan
    donuts
  • staplebug
    Options
    CHEESE! Just like when I moved out and started doing my own grocery shopping, I was so surprised how much cheese costs...now I'm shocked that one little slice is 110 calories. If it wasn't for cheese, this weight would come off so fast. But then I'd be miserable because cheese is so great, you know? :P
  • mariagood1
    Options
    Chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant!!
  • never124get
    Options
    Olive oil! I guess I shouldn't have been sooo shocked but I was....
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Low-fat granola. I was eating truckloads worth of that stuff. Probably 1000 calories worth of low-fat granola to start my day. And, of course, I had yogourt and fresh fruit with it. I figure a 1400 calorie breakfast was the norm for me. (Yikes.)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Baskin Robbins in high school, and I would go next door to Chipotle to pick up lunch. Burrito, chips and guac and a double scoop of ice cream for dessert was over 2500 calories (and that was one a three meals a day). I had this several times a week. How I have been underweight my whole life is beyond me.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Double Chocolate brownie. That is an ultimate brownie for me, taste, texture...everything. I knew it wasn't healthy but didn't realize it was that bad. I had it about twice per month until I checked the calories- 410 cals, 24 g fat, 30 g sugar. Now, I pass by it everyday and just drool but don't buy.
  • ThinWhiteDuchess
    ThinWhiteDuchess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely figs. One sly fruit has 47 calories. And don't get my started on the dried ones.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

its 50! where do you get your info?
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    pizza, i should've known, but like when you go to restaurants and you're served a whole pizza it made me think that a pizza wasn't too high calorie, fatty but not too high calorie, boy was i shocked and upset when i ate that and saw the calories
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Low-fat granola. I was eating truckloads worth of that stuff. Probably 1000 calories worth of low-fat granola to start my day. And, of course, I had yogourt and fresh fruit with it. I figure a 1400 calorie breakfast was the norm for me. (Yikes.)

same! i was eating probably 800 calories of it and believing i was being healthy
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The oriental salad at Applebee's!!! woo eeee!
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Salads....freaking salads are ridiculous at restaurants. I personally dont eat salad, but my husband does. We were looking at Nutritional info for some of our fav restaurants and the salads were at least 750 calories or MORE. Poor people go in thinking they're watching their calories and end up eating more with salad than they would have if they'd gotten what they really wanted. Shameful.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Nutella! Bummer.....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My own carbonara - it's around 1600 cals for a tiny portion!! Tried replacing the cream with creme fraiche - just disgusting :(
  • netski19
    Options
    One of those large vanilla flavored CRUMBS cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles have 880 CALORIES! They are soooo delicious, and I knew they had a lot of calories, but I didn't know that one of them would be more than 2/3 of my calorie limit for the whole day.:ohwell:
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

^^^this^^^ is honestly part of the reason why I am overweight. I work out, eat 90% good stuff and endulge rarely like everyone should. BUT, when I look at what i would eat at breakfast, it's insane. I knew granola, muesli wasn't on the light side of calories. The thing is when I actually got to weighing portion size I was shocked!! As she said, I was eating about 600-800 calories of muesli/granola. Either milk, yogurt and then apples. If the granola didnt have nuts already in it, I'd toss more nuts and/or dried cranberries!!! I was eating a 1000 calorie breakfast!!!!! Healthy, but making me fat!!!

Same thing with pasta- double,triple portions.

For me weight loss can be simple: change the breakfast and eat only one cup pasta. Bam. Over 1000 calories saved!!!!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

^^^this^^^ is honestly part of the reason why I am overweight. I work out, eat 90% good stuff and endulge rarely like everyone should. BUT, when I look at what i would eat at breakfast, it's insane. I knew granola, muesli wasn't on the light side of calories. The thing is when I actually got to weighing portion size I was shocked!! As she said, I was eating about 600-800 calories of muesli/granola. Either milk, yogurt and then apples. If the granola didnt have nuts already in it, I'd toss more nuts and/or dried cranberries!!! I was eating a 1000 calorie breakfast!!!!! Healthy, but making me fat!!!

For me weight loss can be simple: change the breakfast and eat only one cup pasta. Bam. Over 1000 calories saved!!!!
    Heh, I was at the grocery store and there was one of those natural cereals called "skinny" something. Looked at the calorie count - 2 teaspoons was 140 calories!
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Heh, I was at the grocery store and there was one of those natural cereals called "skinny" something. Looked at the calorie count - 2 teaspoons was 140 calories!