What are you supposed to call...

Options
CJisinShape
CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
Fat?

Since when did the word fat become a cuss word?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's not a cuss word. it's something that's inflammatory and provokes emotion. For pity's sake.

You're pretty thick, lady.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Your poor children. They don't stand a chance.

*sigh*
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can't say I entirely understand OP's post, nor do I understand the comments thus far. Think i'll go back to lurking on this one.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I can't say I entirely understand OP's post, nor do I understand the comments thus far. Think i'll go back to lurking on this one.

She has another post on food rules for your child. That's where this is stemming from.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE SO FAT!!!!!!

now how do you feel?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/705137-food-rules-for-your-kids
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Call it by it's medical name: Adipose Tissue.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Call it by it's medical name: Adipose Tissue.

I have a glandular problem ok?
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It isn't about the word you used - it's about how used it and the relationship you're helping your child form with food. If you connect your 3 year old's desire to eat with the fear of getting fat, rather than striving to be healthy, you're creating a negative association with food that will take a lot of time to undo.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    When kids began using it as a derogatory term to hurt other kids. There are NUMEROUS synonyms you could use that are less harmful....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In response to this, and your other post, teach your kids about being healthy. Leave weight and looks out of it completely.

When my kids either don't want to eat what I've cooked or are asking for snacks more than they should, I bring up being healthy. When they don't want to eat, I ask them if they want to grow up to be big and strong, and if they want to be able to do the various activities they enjoy. When they are asking for cookies, candy, marshmallows, chips, etc. I tell them that they are foods we can only eat sometimes because they aren't healthy for us. They are treats.

As far as your little one wanting peanut butter out of the jar goes, simply tell her that isn't the way we/you eat peanut butter. Tell her that it only goes in sandwiches. Don't make her feel bad about wanting foods, and don't make her feel like eating is a bad thing. As others have said, that will almost certainly guarantee that she will have issues with food later on.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Fluffy
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Juicy
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    silly.

fat is connective tissue composed of adipocytes.

to talk to a 3 year old about becoming fat is promoting an eating disorder.

to talk to your family and friends about living a healthy lifestyle that includes being active and eating a balanced diet is stability.

You don't teach a 3 year old about weight, and you don't call your kids fat, and you don't get your kids paranoid about becoming fat . . . unless you want them to end up here.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :angry:

youre NOT supposed to warn your 3 year old they will get FAT if they eat too much PB

WE MUST ALL BE WRONG. you win.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I will say this and this only. It is important to teach your children what a healthy relationship with food is. I was a fat kid, due to the diet my parents were providing, not getting enough exercise and medications to treat anxiety and depression that were started at a young age. If you read anything I say let it be this:

Your child is young now, chances are what you said will have no consequence. However My mom told me that I was fat a lot growing up. She told me that if I ate certain things I would get fat or fatter. She never meant to hurt me but it did. Making food the enemy is only going to cause trouble and low self esteem. how do i know this? I battled it for years. Until I reached adulthood that was all i could think about when I was eating is that what if it made me fatter. What if no one would love me as much if i got fatter?

My mum, who is a wonderful person just didn't know any better. Because of it i had a really negative relationship with food. What it boiled down to was my mom was very overweight for many years, and she had a really negative relationship with food. Maybe you need to check out for a second and think if you are putting your negative emotions towards food, and putting those on you daughter. Kids have enough pressure to be thin in this world, They need moms and dads to teach them that food isn't the enemy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why do people always do this? - Post a topic that gets a lot of negative feeback and then post another topic complaining about the negative feedback. Do people think that it really makes the responses to the first post invalid?
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I gotta agree with some of the others. You should focus on her achieving a goal of being healthy, not avoiding a punishment of "being fat". While I understand you want your child to know the consequences, you're setting up a perfect stage for a child that views overweight people as "bad". How is she going to react later on when she has an overweight classmate? How is it going to sound to other parents/kids/teachers when your daughter goes up to the overweight child at lunch and tells them to stop eating because they're fat? Or that her mommy said it's bad to be fat? Did you actually say that? No. But you've got to remember that a child's mind can take what you say a little differently.

My parents told me all the time that me wanting to go with my friends or do this or that was selfish because there were chores to be done (I lived on a farm). Now I have a really hard time saying no to people or doing anything for myself (including things important to my well being) because thinking of myself and doing things for me is selfish and that's bad. Did they ever actually say that? No. But my young mind interpreted it that way and it stuck.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 3, and I would never tell her that.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You might just want to admit defeat on this one.
This discussion has been closed.