Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    did OP ever come back..?
    No, but her ticker is stuck on ZERO pounds lost.

Anybody have some good pills to recommend?

Yes i don't log my weight everyday. Stop the presses. Smh.
    My point is that you're playing expert when you should be listening and learning from those who accomplished weight loss goals and even maintained that result.
    We've seen the pill people come and go.
    Don't be that person who knows-it-all without the results which validate the fruit of your philosophy.
    Many here have seen too many fail seeking that magic pill that makes you lose fat, gain muscle and win the lotto.
    hslkzqzxuu64.png

In what post do i claim or play expert. Quite the opposite. Im saying other people claim to be experts but provide no information, just sarcastic commentary

some of them have to amuse themselves somehow.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    robspot wrote: »
    Um ok. If people were really so concerned about others and that's why they post these sarcastic comments in the name of helping people, then they would care about their approach and how well received it was.

People on this site are very helpful, but only when people are willing to be helped. IMO you've posted on a deliberately inflammatory subject and then refused to accept what every single person on this thread has told you. Why should people spend time constructing a caring approach when you're not interested?

As Boyzone once sang "No matter what they teach you, what you believe is true."

Because people are responding here to tell me why they don't like supplements which means they completely missed the point. For some reason regardless of what I say people are determined to believe I'm just here to be told that supplements are great or something.

Nah. I think most people did get the point of the thread. You made it to chastise people because you don't like that they jump on people who want to use supplements and DARE to call it snake oil. People have responded saying....so sorry, so sad...it is snake oil and I can call it like I see it. You don't get to dictate what people say on the interwebs, no matter the head shaking.

Additionally, a lot of people to prove that they don't just say "snake oil" and jump out of the thread...followed it by saying the reasons they don't like supplements and many shared their personal experiences. Then you jumped all over them saying they didn't understand your thread. Yeah, they did.

My advice, not that I think you care...if you don't like someone's response then come into the thread and share a different one. Stop thinking you own the internet and think you can tell people what they can and cannot say. But in reality, I don't think that's what you want....you just wanted to make a thread yelling at people and dictating the rules. Sorry, you're gonna have a hard time with that one.

Carry on y'all.

THIS

no, not because they jump on people who use supplements, I clearly referred to the people who say things like "it's snake oil" or "there are no magic pills" to anything even resembling talking about a diet pill or appetite suppressant or whatever, and provide no follow up information. and I CLEARLY quoted examples of responses that were actually USEFUL criticism, that provided INFORMATION and not just 3 word answers that help no one. which again, clearly you weren't reading and just skipped to the end and posted what you want.

and no I don't get to dictate what people post, but I do get to criticize and share my opinion of how people post and what they post just like you are doing right now. and yes if I don't like a response I DO share a different one.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Um ok. If people were really so concerned about others and that's why they post these sarcastic comments in the name of helping people, then they would care about their approach and how well received it was.

People on this site are very helpful, but only when people are willing to be helped. IMO you've posted on a deliberately inflammatory subject and then refused to accept what every single person on this thread has told you. Why should people spend time constructing a caring approach when you're not interested?

Because people are responding here to tell me why they don't like supplements which means they completely missed the point. For some reason regardless of what I say people are determined to believe I'm just here to be told that supplements are great or something.
    Couple of questions then: what's your assurance that the supplement you're taking actually contains any of the ingredients the seller is claiming? With no real regulation, do you analyze the ingredients yourself?
    How are you assured that the raw material being used to make the supplements are pure and not contaminated? There are lots of studies out there showing that supplements on the market aren't pure. So if they aren't pure, and you don't really know what's in them, then why would you take it? Based on reliability that it's in a bottle?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I don't think that can be assured by anything, including prescription drugs, which often cause there own problems and are often recalled. I don't take any diet pills at the moment, though I often have questions about them and post as such, but I do take vitamins, and don't have any assurance on those either. none of which has to do with my original point.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Nah. I think most people did get the point of the thread. You made it to chastise people because you don't like that they jump on people who want to use supplements and DARE to call it snake oil. People have responded saying....so sorry, so sad...it is snake oil and I can call it like I see it. You don't get to dictate what people say on the interwebs, no matter the head shaking.

Additionally, a lot of people to prove that they don't just say "snake oil" and jump out of the thread...followed it by saying the reasons they don't like supplements and many shared their personal experiences. Then you jumped all over them saying they didn't understand your thread. Yeah, they did.

My advice, not that I think you care...if you don't like someone's response then come into the thread and share a different one. Stop thinking you own the internet and think you can tell people what they can and cannot say. But in reality, I don't think that's what you want....you just wanted to make a thread yelling at people and dictating the rules. Sorry, you're gonna have a hard time with that one.

Carry on y'all.

THIS

no, not because they jump on people who use supplements, I clearly referred to the people who say things like "it's snake oil" or "there are no magic pills" to anything even resembling talking about a diet pill or appetite suppressant or whatever, and provide no follow up information. and I CLEARLY quoted examples of responses that were actually USEFUL criticism, that provided INFORMATION and not just 3 word answers that help no one. which again, clearly you weren't reading and just skipped to the end and posted what you want.

and no I don't get to dictate what people post, but I do get to criticize and share my opinion of how people post and what they post just like you are doing right now. and yes if I don't like a response I DO share a different one.

Actually, what your post quoting from another thread showed, as you admit, is that MOST responses contain information to back up the snake oil opinion. One three word answer in a sea of considered responses isn't really worth commenting on. But you do you OP and whatever weird agenda you have going on here.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    There are no magic pills.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Carry on y'all.

THIS

And so, once again, the next time you see a thread about supplements or pills, or whatever you like-YOU go in there and give advice the way you think it should be presented. Stop trying to dictate how others post. Worry about yourself.
    Literally the only times I've ever see you post in threads is to call out others for how they respond. You made this whole thread to do that very thing. How do you really think that affects change?

Or did you just want to complain about something.

It took me 6 pages to figure out exactly what she was complaining about (I was confused whether she was defending supplements or just griping about people being mean). There doesn't seem to be much of a point to anything in this thread except the same old "You people are mean" - "No, we're helpful" back and forth. Yawn.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Couple of questions then: what's your assurance that the supplement you're taking actually contains any of the ingredients the seller is claiming? With no real regulation, do you analyze the ingredients yourself?
    How are you assured that the raw material being used to make the supplements are pure and not contaminated? There are lots of studies out there showing that supplements on the market aren't pure. So if they aren't pure, and you don't really know what's in them, then why would you take it? Based on reliability that it's in a bottle?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think that can be assured by anything, including prescription drugs, which often cause there own problems and are often recalled. I don't take any diet pills at the moment, though I often have questions about them and post as such, but I do take vitamins, and don't have any assurance on those either. none of which has to do with my original point.

Unlike prescription drugs, these supplements are NOT regulated or tested. When actually tested by a third party most supplements contain little to no active ingredients, inconsistent ingredients, ingredients that are harmful/contaminated.

My opinion is that there is really no need whatsoever to resort to taking one of these pills OTHER than as you said, the placebo effect. And in that case, you're wasting money on something and supporting a company that makes it's living by ripping people off and scamming.

Are ALL supplements harmful? Surely not. But the things they can legally include cannot be effective enough to make a significant difference anyway.

Let's not even get started on the fact that relying on a "pill" to lose weight doesn't incentivize people to eat right, exercise, and be willing to put in the dang WORK that is needed to lose weight. It breeds false hope of "Eat what you want without worrying! *Herbalife anyone?*

Edited to add:

In closing my opinion is that when someone who is ignorant on CICO comes into a public forum where all of the tools they need to lose weight and find success are FREE they should be discouraged from spending money on something completely unnecessary and potentially harmful. Of course that person has every right to go out and spend their money as they choose, however, many of us want others to see great results and success and STOP the yo-yo diet pill fad diet nonsense FOR GOOD. Once you have the knowledge, you gain the power.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Unlike prescription drugs, these supplements are NOT regulated or tested. When actually tested by a third party most supplements contain little to no active ingredients, inconsistent ingredients, ingredients that are harmful/contaminated.

My opinion is that there is really no need whatsoever to resort to taking one of these pills OTHER than as you said, the placebo effect. And in that case, you're wasting money on something and supporting a company that makes it's living by ripping people off and scamming.

Are ALL supplements harmful? Surely not. But the things they can legally include cannot be effective enough to make a significant difference anyway.

Let's not even get started on the fact that relying on a "pill" to lose weight doesn't incentivize people to eat right, exercise, and be willing to put in the dang WORK that is needed to lose weight. It breeds false hope of "Eat what you want without worrying! *Herbalife anyone?*

Edited to add:

In closing my opinion is that when someone who is ignorant on CICO comes into a public forum where all of the tools they need to lose weight and find success are FREE they should be discouraged from spending money on something completely unnecessary and potentially harmful. Of course that person has every right to go out and spend their money as they choose, however, many of us want others to see great results and success and STOP the yo-yo diet pill fad diet nonsense FOR GOOD. Once you have the knowledge, you gain the power.

This and this and this.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Well, so far from what I've seen you are minimally active on these boards with the exception of complaining in this thread about how people don't tell you what you want to hear in the way you want to hear it, then cherry-picking generalized examples of phrases and wording that you personally take exception to.

I'd suggest spending more time on sharing responses you feel are useful with some of the many, many people who come to these boards seeking help. There are numerous threads like that just from today, and you haven't posted in any of them.

I'd also suggest putting less time into dissecting others' responses to see if they meet your standards of what's acceptable. Different people hear/read information in different ways. What's 'sarcastic' and 'useless' to you is 'straightforward' to someone else. Accept that like an adult who understands that good communication occurs in many different ways. Since you have very specific ideas about what is and isn't helpful, then focus on how you can be helpful and genuinely supportive to those who need it, spend less time in finger-pointing and accusing, and you'll help make these boards a better place.

Or just keep complaining about how awful everyone else is. That's always easier than becoming the change you seek.

Why it's ok for people to criticize my posts but not ok for me to criticize anyone is beyond me. But false. You can click on my name or search and find plenty of posts, though i don't find the need to post every day like some.

If you'd open your mind to criticism yourself, you'd notice that there are actually alot of people on here who come and are new and get completely turned off by certain approaches and comments that people keep claiming they want to help. But people are so fiercely offended by criticism they'd rather personally attack the critic than even think about changing their approach.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I like how you have yet to address a single point
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Well, so far from what I've seen you are minimally active on these boards with the exception of complaining in this thread about how people don't tell you what you want to hear in the way you want to hear it, then cherry-picking generalized examples of phrases and wording that you personally take exception to.

I'd suggest spending more time on sharing responses you feel are useful with some of the many, many people who come to these boards seeking help. There are numerous threads like that just from today, and you haven't posted in any of them.

I'd also suggest putting less time into dissecting others' responses to see if they meet your standards of what's acceptable. Different people hear/read information in different ways. What's 'sarcastic' and 'useless' to you is 'straightforward' to someone else. Accept that like an adult who understands that good communication occurs in many different ways. Since you have very specific ideas about what is and isn't helpful, then focus on how you can be helpful and genuinely supportive to those who need it, spend less time in finger-pointing and accusing, and you'll help make these boards a better place.

Or just keep complaining about how awful everyone else is. That's always easier than becoming the change you seek.

Why it's ok for people to criticize my posts but not ok for me to criticize anyone is beyond me.

You really don't see? Look what you just wrote - other people criticize your *posts* - you want to criticize *people*.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Woo. Lots of it.

I understand OPs point of changing approach. Why don't we stay on topic of it instead of battling over who's criticizing who/what...lol.

Also, why isn't there differing terms for the prescribed or proven supplements that are needed vs the snake oil stuff?
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Also, why isn't there differing terms for the prescribed or proven supplements that are needed vs the snake oil stuff?

There are. They're called "prescribed or proven supplements that are needed" and "the snake oil stuff"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There's a difference in regulation of drugs versus supplements. Drugs can invariably be recalled or pulled from shelves with immediacy, whereas supplements don't have that happen often.
    I'll just leave it at this: NO DIET PILL works without calorie deficit. That's why they are snake oil. Go to any fitness/health magazine and you'll find lots of ads for weight loss products all with the same disclaimer: results not typical. If they were so good, then why aren't they typical?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Why it's ok for people to criticize my posts but not ok for me to criticize anyone is beyond me. But false. You can click on my name or search and find plenty of posts, though i don't find the need to post every day like some.

If you'd open your mind to criticism yourself, you'd notice that there are actually alot of people on here who come and are new and get completely turned off by certain approaches and comments that people keep claiming they want to help. But people are so fiercely offended by criticism they'd rather personally attack the critic than even think about changing their approach.

Do you honestly think you are putting forward a rational argument? It is incoherent and vague. Plenty of people have given you the opportunity to clarify your OP, provide examples of the claimed about behaviour, but backing up your argument seems too much for you to do.

Why not run through your posts and list each point you are making and where you are at with it so people can see what you are going on about? So far your claims and your ability to support those claims has been dismal.

Give us all a recap on what your points are so newcomers and people who have lost the will to go on can just read a single post of your and what you believe you are saying.
This discussion has been closed.