crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'...and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? .

So you're for the promotion of things that don't work?

A placebo is something that doesn't work (an inactive or inert substance). When there's a placebo effect, it means there was a beneficial effect.

f5b1d3ad9e69058ddb506280e1b0b8ee.png

I'll remember this at my next FDA review panel.

You know, whenever we ask principle investigators to justify a placebo being used in a trial, I have no idea why they just don't say "because placebos work too"... They always have to think too hard and provide scientific rationale and stuff.

Oh duck, the FDA is here?!?!
    *scrambles to get notebooks in order*
    Ha, don't worry, I'm not FDA. Just work for an IRB at a local institution.

Ok. That's ok. Don't scare me like that man I'm just an RA!
  • krystleLD25
    krystleLD25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    not gonna lie... I take hydroxycut. I don't take the eveing doses though. it does help with my appetite control. I cant say that it really gives me energy or is the "reason" that I am losing weight, but over eating esa my biggest problem and it has helped a lot the last few days. I will prob come off them once my stomach gets smaller and I no longer feel like im starving.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    not gonna lie... I take hydroxycut. I don't take the eveing doses though. it does help with my appetite control. I cant say that it really gives me energy or is the "reason" that I am losing weight, but over eating esa my biggest problem and it has helped a lot the last few days. I will prob come off them once my stomach gets smaller and I no longer feel like im starving.

Is it the Hydroxycut, or is it the routine you're on and increased water intake?

• krystleLD25
    Options

Is it the Hydroxycut, or is it the routine you're on and increased water intake?

I was doin the routine and drinkin plenty of water well before I started taking hydroxycut. it was just hard to control my appetite still. I felt like I was starving within an hour of eating a good meal or I would get bored munchies. I don't really have the munchies anymore nor do I feel like im starving all the time. im also currently lookin into other appetite suppressants bc I don't really like all the *kitten* in hydroxycut. if you have any suggestions on natural and easy appetite suppressants then please let me know. and just so you know, I drink at least 64oz of water a day.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I was doin the routine and drinkin plenty of water well before I started taking hydroxycut. it was just hard to control my appetite still. I felt like I was starving within an hour of eating a good meal or I would get bored munchies. I don't really have the munchies anymore nor do I feel like im starving all the time. im also currently lookin into other appetite suppressants bc I don't really like all the *kitten* in hydroxycut. if you have any suggestions on natural and easy appetite suppressants then please let me know. and just so you know, I drink at least 64oz of water a day.

I tried Hydroxycut (received several free samples and used them for 180 days), noted no difference in my performance. Never noted any adverse events, but no positive ones either.

Have you tried metamucil or other fiber? My go to for filler is carrots/hummus and find this much more satisfying and long lasting. Have you tried timing your hunger pains and drinking 30 mins prior to them?
  • krystleLD25
    Options

I tried Hydroxycut (received several free samples and used them for 180 days), noted no difference in my performance. Never noted any adverse events, but no positive ones either.

Have you tried metamucil or other fiber? My go to for filler is carrots/hummus and find this much more satisfying and long lasting. Have you tried timing your hunger pains and drinking 30 mins prior to them?

I just want to verify that it doesn't really give me energy and all that. the only difference I have noticed is how much I eat. with hydroxycut, i didn't feel as hungry as i did before and i actually felt fuller when eating meals. i was binge eating A LOT so it was hard for me not to eat as much or feel satisfied. i drink at east 64oz a day but usually more. i also drink all day long. i have a 32oz Nalgene bottle that i constantly have on me when im at work and i usually drink 1.5-2 of those a day. when im at home. i keep a cold glass of water by me at all times. i refill my brita pitcher at least twice a day.

the fiber is a good idea. i eat a lot of veggies but i may not be eating a lot of fibrous veggies. ill look into that. i usually just look at calories and healthy fat and protein..... i rarely eat processed food so most of my meals are good wholesome meals. do you mind if we are friends?
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    did OP ever come back..?
    No, but her ticker is stuck on ZERO pounds lost.

Anybody have some good pills to recommend?

Yes i don't log my weight everyday. Stop the presses. Smh.
    My point is that you're playing expert when you should be listening and learning from those who accomplished weight loss goals and even maintained that result.
    We've seen the pill people come and go.
    Don't be that person who knows-it-all without the results which validate the fruit of your philosophy.
    Many here have seen too many fail seeking that magic pill that makes you lose fat, gain muscle and win the lotto.
    hslkzqzxuu64.png
    choppie70 wrote: »
    Lots of things about weight loss pills scare me. First of all they are not regulated by the FDA, so there are all sorts of ingredients in there! Some of these supplements contain a drug called sibutramine. This was an FDA approved drug, but it was removed from the market because it cased heart problems and strokes. They can also contain concoctions of other drugs for things like high blood pressure, and depression. These drugs can have serious side effects if you do not have the condition they are prescribed for. There is a reason they are prescribed drugs! The FDA has also found some of these drugs in so called natural products like Garcinia cambogia.

I cannot, with a clean conscience, let anyone take these supplements without making sure they really know about the supplement. Just because they are on the shelf does not mean they are safe. There were over 30 public notifications and 7 product recalls of such supplements in 2014 alone.

And by saying "there are no miracle pills" and nothing else do you feel like you've made sure they really know about the supplement?
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    Jozzmenia have you tried any of these weight loss products, and have they made a dramatic difference to your weight loss?

Like I said, the only thing they did for me was make me poorer..

I've taken alot in my 35 years on earth the only ones to havr a significant memorable effect were metabolife and adipex in terms of pills. Finding a protein i liked was also a godsend for my weight loss. Had a trainer recommend lipo 6 black but told me to drink extra water because it's bad for the liver. Smh. I've done medical weight loss, weight watchers, and different shakes.

.....So if they worked, why are you here?

OK, some pills may 'dull' your appetite, but are they encouraging good eating habits? Most likely not-the minute you stop relying on the pills and go back to your usual eating habits, you will gain all that weight back, and maybe more. I really don't see how they can help in the long term, unless you are actively changing your habits, ad you can do that without the pills.

I don't think those are good options i was answering question.

I didn't come here to defend specific supplements if you thought that you obviously didn't read any of my posts
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    did OP ever come back..?
    No, but her ticker is stuck on ZERO pounds lost.

Anybody have some good pills to recommend?

Yes i don't log my weight everyday. Stop the presses. Smh.
    My point is that you're playing expert when you should be listening and learning from those who accomplished weight loss goals and even maintained that result.
    We've seen the pill people come and go.
    Don't be that person who knows-it-all without the results which validate the fruit of your philosophy.
    Many here have seen too many fail seeking that magic pill that makes you lose fat, gain muscle and win the lotto.
    hslkzqzxuu64.png

In what post do i claim or play expert. Quite the opposite. Im saying other people claim to be experts but provide no information, just sarcastic commentary
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    robspot wrote: »
    Some might say the OP was flamebaiting?

Some might. I honestly don't think that is in the intention. I think she is of the ilk that it is completely acceptable and appropriate to not only think people have to post and only give the advice she wants, but that it is also okay to come and command that people only post that way. That's not how the internet works, but what can you do.

For effect. Smh.

Um ok. If people were really so concerned about others and that's why they post these sarcastic comments in the name of helping people, then they would care about their approach and how well received it was.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    So this is just a thinly veiled "mean people" thread. Got it
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Then do that. Be the change you want to see on the boards. But scolding the boards for not doing what you want probably isn't going to get the effect you're looking for.

^I'm coming back to my advice from page one. There are a ton of products and supplements mentioned here every day and not enough knowledgeable posters here to answer those questions. If you feel that the advice being given is insufficient, then jump in and provide the details as often as you can. Because arguing with people in the hopes that they'll do it for you has proven not to be effective around here.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You quoted me , so I will reply ;) I most likely would start out with that there are no miracle pills. If the person wanted further information, I would indeed reply with what I said in my quoted post. If you do not like someone's answer than you ask for clarification. I am sure the people who started posts and got the answers you are referring to either decided they were ok with the answer or they got clarification. If the answer posted does not work for you ask a clarifying question, don't complain about it.

I could care less about a placebo effect. So what! If someone asks me about a diet supplement that may contain chemicals that can potentially harm them I will let them know. To me that is more important than them thinking the pill is helping them lose weight.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Great let's do that. Find me peer reviewed, placebo controlled studies with statistically relevant sample sizes that show me that a supplement has a better than placebo effect and we can talk. A blog or a study done without those things listed above doesn't count. Anecdata is not data that supports a claim.

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

It seems like a fair point except most of the time it is someone promoting a "miracle" supplement without providing empirical evidence that it works. The people "jumping all over" said promoter is usually challenging the claim because of lack of evidence. You can't make a claim without evidence and then say "prove me wrong." It goes against logic. The burden of proof is on the promoter. For me, if I don't know, I'm going to ask the promoter for an answer.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Um ok. If people were really so concerned about others and that's why they post these sarcastic comments in the name of helping people, then they would care about their approach and how well received it was.

People on this site are very helpful, but only when people are willing to be helped. IMO you've posted on a deliberately inflammatory subject and then refused to accept what every single person on this thread has told you. Why should people spend time constructing a caring approach when you're not interested?

As Boyzone once sang "No matter what they teach you, what you believe is true."
  • Jozzmenia
    Options

People on this site are very helpful, but only when people are willing to be helped. IMO you've posted on a deliberately inflammatory subject and then refused to accept what every single person on this thread has told you. Why should people spend time constructing a caring approach when you're not interested?

Because people are responding here to tell me why they don't like supplements which means they completely missed the point. For some reason regardless of what I say people are determined to believe I'm just here to be told that supplements are great or something.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    If your expecting supplements to do something for you that eating properly will not, then you will be disappointed.

I think that statement is accurate every time, without getting into the discussion of do they, or do they not 'work'
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Because people are responding here to tell me why they don't like supplements which means they completely missed the point. For some reason regardless of what I say people are determined to believe I'm just here to be told that supplements are great or something.
    Couple of questions then: what's your assurance that the supplement you're taking actually contains any of the ingredients the seller is claiming? With no real regulation, do you analyze the ingredients yourself?
    How are you assured that the raw material being used to make the supplements are pure and not contaminated? There are lots of studies out there showing that supplements on the market aren't pure. So if they aren't pure, and you don't really know what's in them, then why would you take it? Based on reliability that it's in a bottle?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
This discussion has been closed.