All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is many of them are dangerous and people don't always realize it as they are not regulated by the Fda. Why do they have jaundice warnings?? A healthy diet is much safer. And does work. People can do suppliments but they should be adequately informed. And why take the risk if you don't need to
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    This turned into my favorite thread. It's been awhile.

You just gave it the kiss of death.

53200814.jpg

I suspect it will disappear now.

:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Azexas wrote: »
    Why is this thread back from the dead?

I don't know. I want to burn it with fire.
    Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dude you just quoted my favorite movie ever....ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you!

Because it's the greatest movie ever!!!

I waver back & forth between Alien & Aliens. I love both movies so hard and Ripley was such an inspiration to me!
    I like Alien better. Aliens was cool in that the xenomorphs had more intelligence than we thought. Alien was cool because the xenomorph seemed like much more of a badass. The ones in Aliens were too easy to kill and succeeded more from sheer numbers than pure awesomeness as in Alien.
    The xenos were deadlier in Aliens - the xeno in Alien was a drone, while there were warriors in Aliens. The difference was a Burke pointed out: "these marines are some real tough hombres." That set up did make Aliens more of an action than horror film.
    Aliens still is one of my favorite SCI-FI films. Hudson and his one sarcastic one liners were great. And Vasquez turned my eye right away toward "fit" women. The first 2 Alien movies are the best of the franchise. I saw Aliens in a movie theater when it first came out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

We're definitely on the same page.

Hudson - "Have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
    Vasquez - "No, have you?"

Classic!
    Another classic line exchange:

Hudson: Oh man game over, game over. What the F are we gonna do now?

Burke: How about building a campfire and singing some songs? Let's try that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

I waver back & forth between Alien & Aliens. I love both movies so hard and Ripley was such an inspiration to me!
    I like Alien better. Aliens was cool in that the xenomorphs had more intelligence than we thought. Alien was cool because the xenomorph seemed like much more of a badass. The ones in Aliens were too easy to kill and succeeded more from sheer numbers than pure awesomeness as in Alien.
    The xenos were deadlier in Aliens - the xeno in Alien was a drone, while there were warriors in Aliens. The difference was a Burke pointed out: "these marines are some real tough hombres." That set up did make Aliens more of an action than horror film.
    Aliens still is one of my favorite SCI-FI films. Hudson and his one sarcastic one liners were great. And Vasquez turned my eye right away toward "fit" women. The first 2 Alien movies are the best of the franchise. I saw Aliens in a movie theater when it first came out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Classic!
    Fun Fact: The joke about Vasquez showing up because she thought they were talking about illegal aliens was actually taken from the casting call. Apparently the Jenette Goldstein (the actress playing Vasquez) actually showed up thinking the movie was about immigrants at first.
    Lol, didn't know that. It's so funny that we can change technology and times, but people never change. Having the Marines in the movie was what made it classic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Classic!
    Another classic line exchange:

Hudson: Oh man game over, game over. What the F are we gonna do now?

Burke: How about building a campfire and singing some songs? Let's try that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sad but true I encountered nearly the same exchange in on mission between our Marines and one of the contractors. Both of them were too young and had not seen the movie. First time I felt old.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    All this talk about Alien and its successors, but no love for John Carpenter's The Thing?

You are all dead to me.

That is my other favorite. 70s sci-fi/horror at it's best.

And I HATED that stupid azzed remake they did a few years ago.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I've seen Alien several times, but never Aliens or any of the other sequels. Mostly because sequels are usually disappointing...however I think I need to watch Aliens.

Amazed at this just like some people who have never seen Star Wars.

You should watch Aliens on a big a screen as possible. Aliens is a must but uts a different type of film, it uses the Aliens universe but its action based not horror. Its one of the few seqiels that stands up very well. Classic.

I only saw Star Wars for the first time about 10 years ago. Haha. Not going to lie I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was good not but great. Great story, but overall poorly acted and far far too many side minor characters.
    That's to say nothing of the prequels...which I hated. However the more times I watch Star Wars the more it grows on me so maybe that's what it does to people.
    The prequels were crap. Plus, they left out the best bit: when Anakin goes from a sniveling, whiny *kitten* to someone feared throughout the star system.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I've seen Alien several times, but never Aliens or any of the other sequels. Mostly because sequels are usually disappointing...however I think I need to watch Aliens.

Amazed at this just like some people who have never seen Star Wars.

You should watch Aliens on a big a screen as possible. Aliens is a must but uts a different type of film, it uses the Aliens universe but its action based not horror. Its one of the few seqiels that stands up very well. Classic.

I only saw Star Wars for the first time about 10 years ago. Haha. Not going to lie I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was good not but great. Great story, but overall poorly acted and far far too many side minor characters.
    That's to say nothing of the prequels...which I hated. However the more times I watch Star Wars the more it grows on me so maybe that's what it does to people.
    The prequels were crap. Plus, they left out the best bit: when Anakin goes from a sniveling, whiny *kitten* to someone feared throughout the star system.
    lukes-lightsaber.jpg

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    squirrel.jpg?resize=300%2C300
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    This turned into my favorite thread. It's been awhile.

There's one way to make it better ....
    ds04m1ex2yat.jpg

funny-seal-meme-seally-pun.jpg

fishpuns.com+template+1.png
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

How is saying "abc doesn't work, save your money", condescending?

If they followed your method, they'd be upset by being told abc doesn't work, you can lose weight for free just by eating at a deficit.

Plus, we have had these conversations so, so many times. Would it also be condescending to tell the OP to just use the search function? Can guarantee that none of our opinions on the several hundred threads about it would have changed!

I don't think there's in conversation in here that hasn't been had. But you're dammed if you do damned if you don't unless you're posting a "how hot is the person above you" thread apparently. If you post on an old topic they're like "we had this conversation already look it up" but if you do that and comment they're like "why are you reopening this old thread" smh apparently the boards have to go only the exact way certain people say.

I take solace in all the private messages from people, which I just discovered you can get today, who agree with me and have been put off by the bullying and negative attitudes. "Cico cult" as someone called it, that's a new one but made me laugh. But wouldn't encourage them to post their concerns publicly they know they'll just be called obese snake oil salesman or made up friends. It's okay though. People are more comfortable around like minded people and it's easier to push away people who disagree than to be accepting of differences so i can't expect better from such a large group.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    I think the problem is many of them are dangerous and people don't always realize it as they are not regulated by the Fda. Why do they have jaundice warnings?? A healthy diet is much safer. And does work. People can do suppliments but they should be adequately informed. And why take the risk if you don't need to

Most if the drugs you see class actions for were sold to, i mean regulated by, the fda at one point. Frankly I'd be less bothered by a loved one taking green tea extract than adipex, xanax, ambien, methadone, dilaudid, etc. They push prescription pills like mad with horrible side effects.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I take natural beauty slimming products and swear by them they definitley have helped my loss, the caffiene helps with my energy and I dont eat as much, my cravings have gone right down. Though I have tried some suppliments from other companies and didnt lose a pound. Youve definitely got to try first before making your mind up

Can you prove they work other than your own annecdotal experience? Any studies that back up the effectiveness of the product you refer to? Its importnat becayse how do you know the cause of your loss was not due to soemthing else?

Caffeine is different, it does what it does and I dont think anyone here would deny it.

Of coarse they always forget to leave out the exact name of the snake oil.

I don't remember the name of the supplement or "woo magic pill promiser" but there used to be commercials for it all the time a year or so ago. It made these lovely claims that you should only take it if you have more than 20 lbs to lose because it is SO powerful and that you can lose weight without any change to diet and exercise. I did some googling to find out exactly what was in this supplement since it was clearly woo. What is the powerful, magical supplement??? It had a bunch of vitamins in it (kind of like the magic vitamins in Shakeology that makes this peddlers say it is better) and fiber and caffeine. That's it. I laughed and closed google. SO POWERFUL. NO CHANGE IN DIET AND EXERCISE. People will believe anything for the promise of weight loss.

That was the world's most annoying infomercial, and that's saying a lot. There was one woman I really just wanted to punch in the face.

It was. I pretty consistently fall asleep with the tv on (I like noise...well my noise, not your noise). I woke up to that informecial on a heck of a lot.

My contempt for it....and playing on the desperation and fear of those trying to lose weight with blatant lies and false claims....is almost being replaced with my contempt for seeing infomercials for that damn 21 Day Fix every morning when I wake up.

I used to fall to it all the time too; they always played it on trutv. Yes, my fiance is slightly concerned that I go to sleep watching real life crime shows...

I love TruTV. There was a great online site called The Crime Library a few years back and TruTV bought it and killed it with mismanagement. My only complaint about them.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    robspot wrote: »
    ^^ wheeze laugh. That's hilarious! Albino snake also reminds me of Whitesnake:
    20th_Century_Masters_Whitesnake.jpg

I'm not really sure I'd want to buy their "oil" :s

They mostly used it in their hair I think.

Here I go again on my own....down to the store for more hairspray.

I'm bitter that they don't make Stiff Stuff anymore. One of the "go to" hairsprays in the 80's right after Aquanet.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    The above few posts made me glad I came back to this thread :pensive:

Unfortunately I don't think OP is going to respond with which pills she has tried which helped her lose weight, which was kinda the point of this whole, crazy thread. Continue with memes.

Oh, and it is now Friday so the 'mean people' are sure to be coming out to play any second now.....
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I take natural beauty slimming products and swear by them they definitley have helped my loss, the caffiene helps with my energy and I dont eat as much, my cravings have gone right down. Though I have tried some suppliments from other companies and didnt lose a pound. Youve definitely got to try first before making your mind up

Can you prove they work other than your own annecdotal experience? Any studies that back up the effectiveness of the product you refer to? Its importnat becayse how do you know the cause of your loss was not due to soemthing else?

Caffeine is different, it does what it does and I dont think anyone here would deny it.

Of coarse they always forget to leave out the exact name of the snake oil.
    The above few posts made me glad I came back to this thread :pensive:

Unfortunately I don't think OP is going to respond with which pills she has tried which helped her lose weight, which was kinda the point of this whole, crazy thread. Continue with memes.

Oh, and it is now Friday so the 'mean people' are sure to be coming out to play any second now.....

Actually i did reply and that wasn't the point of this thread. I said adipex and metabolife made me lose alot of weight but i don't recommend those or any other supplements. I basically said many peoples current approach is off putting and u can't lump all supplements into the same category and people sat around criticizing my weight and wondering what supplements i was trying to sell. Smh
This discussion has been closed.