All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen the original Alien. I saw Alien vs. Predator though. I guess I have a movie to thrown on my netflix queue

No life is complete without seeing this movie imho.

Apparently it isn't available on instant queue on Netflix. I'm sure I can find a torrent of it somewhere though.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Snake oil

Snake oil

Snake oil

To lose weight - eat at a calorie deficit
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen the original Alien. I saw Alien vs. Predator though. I guess I have a movie to thrown on my netflix queue

No life is complete without seeing this movie imho.

Apparently it isn't available on instant queue on Netflix. I'm sure I can find a torrent of it somewhere though.

The word t o r r e n t is censored. That is the wierdest thing I've ever seen.
    Yes I quoted you to see what naughty word you used that got blotted out.

That's so odd!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I'm surprised this thread has not gotten nuked

I bet if NDJ posts , it'll get nuked quickly. Lol !
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I just want say there are no magical weight loss pills, this is for you, OP. ;)
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I just want say there are no magical weight loss pills, this is for you, OP. ;)

Cosign!

PS snake oil
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills."

I have been here for years and I have never seen anyone say such a thing for legitimate medical issues.

Every other single supplement that is marketed for weight loss is a gimmick in my book though. Doesn't mean that they do not produce success, but only as a result of other changes in diet and exercise that ALL of them require. But if people want to spend money on what is essentially a placebo...and it works for them to get healthy. Fine. But don't push the magic fat isolating molecular enzymatic marketing science that passes the legal department off as anything more than it is...snake oil.

• Timshel_
    Options
    LOL. Op has 13 friends, all with no weight loss, no profile information, and probably stolen photos.

Beach Body coaching at its finest.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    LOL. Op has 13 friends, all with no weight loss, no profile information, and probably stolen photos.

Beach Body coaching at its finest.

It usually is mlm coaches that post the threads about "not everything on the market is snake oil " so I wouldn't be at all shocked if this was the same .. But clearly her attempt at marketing snake oil isn't going to be fruitful here ....
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills."

I have been here for years and I have never seen anyone say such a thing for legitimate medical issues.

Every other single supplement that is marketed for weight loss is a gimmick in my book though. Doesn't mean that they do not produce success, but only as a result of other changes in diet and exercise that ALL of them require. But if people want to spend money on what is essentially a placebo...and it works for them to get healthy. Fine. But don't push the magic fat isolating molecular enzymatic marketing science that passes the legal department off as anything more than it is...snake oil.

I've seen a few people say the above in bold in this thread. For sake of accuracy, I just wanted to point out that there are people who say that about legitimate medical issues, most often psychiatric issues (especially depression) - however, they usually get contradicted by many people right away.

Not that it really matters for the sake of this thread. And I think I am a bit sensitive about hearing "the depression medication doesn't do anything, just eat right and exercise and *bam* it goes away." Because I've heard that too many times (not just here on MFP).

At any rate, anything that promotes taking a little-regulated pill to lose weight is probably a snake-oil salesman.

Edited to reiterate: When someone does say such things about legitimate medical issues, they are usually corrected quickly and by many posters. So it seems that the community, in general, really does know the difference between snake oil and beneficial medication.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Funny when you read this thread

First of all almost all the people on here lost their weight with CICO

Second one or two people in this thread lost no weight or a bit and believing in the snake oils

And also does the snake oil companies dont have a site were you can discus the success of there products. And advice poor victims there?

This whole magic pill ( not talking about vitamins/minerals or supplements) business has been discussed hundreds of times here. I really dont see this thread as different as all the other useless garbage threads then this one.
    If OP thinks otherwise than i ask this...why join a calorie counting site..why dig up old threads. Why no weight loss of the OP when it is so good and successful to use the stuff.

And for MFP ( and moderators) why do you let this go on? Why open a closed thread? Thought you were all about a healthy way of managing weight? Is that not something that is written in the TOS?
    And sure everybody has his/her own opinion and right to express it.....but hasn't this gone far enough? I really wonder about this kinda things? Maybe big sponsors that need to be protected and not pissed off?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »

Second one or two people in this thread lost no weight or a bit and believing in the snake oils

And also does the snake oil companies dont have a site were you can discus the success of there products. And advice poor victims there?

This whole magic pill ( not talking about vitamins/minerals or supplements) business has been discussed hundreds of times here. I really dont see this thread as different as all the other useless garbage threads then this one.
    If OP thinks otherwise than i ask this...why join a calorie counting site..why dig up old threads. Why no weight loss of the OP when it is so good and successful to use the stuff.

And for MFP ( and moderators) why do you let this go on? Why open a closed thread? Thought you were all about a healthy way of managing weight? Is that not something that is written in the TOS?
    And sure everybody has his/her own opinion and right to express it.....but hasn't this gone far enough? I really wonder about this kinda things? Maybe big sponsors that need to be protected and not pissed off?

People can discuss opinions. If it's not violating TOS (taking a weight loss supplement to aid weight loss isn't against TOS unlike unsafe eating practices) discussion of how people choose to lose weight is fine. Our job is more to ensure that Community Guidelines are upheld in such discussions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Timshel_
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I've seen a few people say the above in bold in this thread. For sake of accuracy, I just wanted to point out that there are people who say that about legitimate medical issues, most often psychiatric issues (especially depression) - however, they usually get contradicted by many people right away.

I'll give you that. I participate in those kinds of discussions because I have past experience in depressions and anxiety, so I have seen a few people be insensitive at some level. I certainly advocate exercise and diet over pills all day long, though I know that does not always work.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    In all fairness. I have seen posts saying multi vitamins, vit B and C etc etc just result in expensive wee.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    In all fairness. I have seen posts saying multi vitamins, vit B and C etc etc just result in expensive wee.

That's because the body can only absorb so many nutrients at a time. Beyond that, it gets excreted. If the vitamins are water soluble, they are excreted through the urine.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Why is this thread back from the dead?

I don't know. I want to burn it with fire.
    Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dude you just quoted my favorite movie ever....ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you!

Because it's the greatest movie ever!!!

I waver back & forth between Alien & Aliens. I love both movies so hard and Ripley was such an inspiration to me!
    I like Alien better. Aliens was cool in that the xenomorphs had more intelligence than we thought. Alien was cool because the xenomorph seemed like much more of a badass. The ones in Aliens were too easy to kill and succeeded more from sheer numbers than pure awesomeness as in Alien.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Which is true, if you don't have a deficiency in those things. Fact is though, a lot of people do have a deficiency in one vitamin or another, so a multi can help.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »

Actually I've lost 31 pounds since February. I find weighing in with my trainer and doctor to be enough record i don't need to do it here also all the time. You don't know anything about me or my friends. Way to deflect though.
This discussion has been closed.