Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Azexas wrote: »
    Why is this thread back from the dead?

I don't know. I want to burn it with fire.
    Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dude you just quoted my favorite movie ever....ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you!

Because it's the greatest movie ever!!!

I waver back & forth between Alien & Aliens. I love both movies so hard and Ripley was such an inspiration to me!
    I like Alien better. Aliens was cool in that the xenomorphs had more intelligence than we thought. Alien was cool because the xenomorph seemed like much more of a badass. The ones in Aliens were too easy to kill and succeeded more from sheer numbers than pure awesomeness as in Alien.
    The xenos were deadlier in Aliens - the xeno in Alien was a drone, while there were warriors in Aliens. The difference was a Burke pointed out: "these marines are some real tough hombres." That set up did make Aliens more of an action than horror film.
    Aliens still is one of my favorite SCI-FI films. Hudson and his one sarcastic one liners were great. And Vasquez turned my eye right away toward "fit" women. The first 2 Alien movies are the best of the franchise. I saw Aliens in a movie theater when it first came out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Well, I've read the whole thread and now I'm all confused !!!!

1) I went to my local health store and they did not carry any kind of oil snake !
    2) I went to the pet store to inquire about the best snake to use and they kicked me out !
    3) I tried to catch a snake in my backyard but they're sneaky little *kitten* and it took me all day to find one !
    4) How do I make it myself ? I really want to go for the "organic extra virgin" snake oil !
    5) My wife is a vegan and is kind of mad at me for killing a snake now ! Is there a suitable vegan alternative ?

How can I get the benefit of those essential snake fatty acids while avoiding snake bites and saving my marriage at the same time ?

Any help would be appreciated !

;)

You've been doing this all wrong. But I'm a nice person who knows a sucker recognizes a fellow entrepeneur when I see one. So I'll offer you some advice to get you started.

Your first mistake was using a common backyard snake. And then you killed it. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

You have to use a live snake. And not just any snake. Only the rare albino snake yields really high-quality snake oil.

All snakes are tricksy, but albino snakes are tricksy and smart. They KNOW you want to catch them and wring that wonderful organic extra virgin snake oil right out of their little hides. You think they're going to stand still for that...oh wait. No. Snakes can't stand up. Let's try this again.

You think they're going to put up with that? NO. No, they are not. So they cleverly disguise themselves and hide amongst other creatures, hoping that you won't notice them. Here's an example of one of the sly little devils in disguise:

hep4ly01dmzc.jpg

Once you've captured your rare albino snake, let me know. And for a small, reasonable fee I can provide further instructions to aid you on your road to FAME and RICHES.

Thanks you so much for that precious information ! I will be trying to catch this elusive albino snake tonight !

I even bought a rabbit costume to fool the little F******ER !

d8rtvofvm3k9.jpg

By the way, would you able to provide me with some kind of bait or maybe a whistle to attract it ? I'm willing to pay ANYTHING of course !

I can already see the pounds of fat in my body melting away, dissolved by that great product !!!!

Thanks again !!!
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ^^ wheeze laugh. That's hilarious! Albino snake also reminds me of Whitesnake:
    20th_Century_Masters_Whitesnake.jpg

I'm not really sure I'd want to buy their "oil" :s
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The above few posts made me glad I came back to this thread :pensive:

Unfortunately I don't think OP is going to respond with which pills she has tried which helped her lose weight, which was kinda the point of this whole, crazy thread. Continue with memes.

Oh, and it is now Friday so the 'mean people' are sure to be coming out to play any second now.....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works".

Can you provide specific examples? "Only a calorie deficit works" when it comes to purely weight loss is a 100% true statement.
    Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets.

Again, we need a specific example. There are about 1,000,452,506,130 threads on here asking whether green bean coffee extract and raspberry ketones work. There is very little scientific evidence, if any, that show these specific supplements actually do anything. Most of the regulars here know it, so they give the advice that it is useless and just a scam. Are you saying they should just shut up?
    People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

And the broken record continues. Please give a specific example. I have never heard anyone on hear say that medication prescribed by a doctor is just a magic pill. I could be mistaken though. If someone did say this, it's probably someone on the fringe who has a mistrust of the medical industry as a whole.
    I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous.

Some supplements do work to curb appetite or give energy, etc. Caffeine and creatine to name a few. The benefits and side effects of the 2 specifics I mentioned are well documented and proven. I doubt any of the regulars here would call these snake oil. However, there are some reasonable and legitimate concerns on the efficacy and safety of these. If you need a placebo to motivate you then fine. However, I see no problem with someone suggesting that you can do it without the placebo and save some of your hard earned money too. In fact, I think it would be very good advice.
    I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Again, specifics are needed. Most people here do not call a supplement snake oil without knowing anything about it. A lot of people here are very knowledgeable. Also, if someone promotes a supplement that know one knows about, the burden of proof is on the promoter. For example, I can say that monkey spit will burn body fat. I am perfectly entitled to that opinion. Also, others are perfectly entitled to criticize my opinion if they don't agree. However, it is up to me to provide the scientific proof that it works. I can't make the claim and then say "well if you don't think it works, prove me wrong." That would be illogical.

But I didn't read your post obviously. I just read the title and assumed you were obese. So my opinion can be discounted.

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

It. Doesn't. Work. There is as much conversation to be had as there is about the tiger repelling prowess of skittles.

I have nothing constructive to add, which is sad considering I wasted precious minutes of my life reading this thing.

To make it productive I feel I must ask... If skittles repel tigers, what will repel bears? I am going camping in bear country in the coming weeks, and would like to know what I can safely take to protect myself. Would I eat the skittles as a preventive measure, or throw them at the creature during an attack?

Maybe I should just stay home with my shiny silver hat :frowning:
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I take natural beauty slimming products and swear by them they definitley have helped my loss, the caffiene helps with my energy and I dont eat as much, my cravings have gone right down. Though I have tried some suppliments from other companies and didnt lose a pound. Youve definitely got to try first before making your mind up
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

I've seen Alien several times, but never Aliens or any of the other sequels. Mostly because sequels are usually disappointing...however I think I need to watch Aliens.

Amazed at this just like some people who have never seen Star Wars.

You should watch Aliens on a big a screen as possible. Aliens is a must but uts a different type of film, it uses the Aliens universe but its action based not horror. Its one of the few seqiels that stands up very well. Classic.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I take natural beauty slimming products and swear by them they definitley have helped my loss, the caffiene helps with my energy and I dont eat as much, my cravings have gone right down. Though I have tried some suppliments from other companies and didnt lose a pound. Youve definitely got to try first before making your mind up

Can you prove they work other than your own annecdotal experience? Any studies that back up the effectiveness of the product you refer to? Its importnat becayse how do you know the cause of your loss was not due to soemthing else?

Caffeine is different, it does what it does and I dont think anyone here would deny it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Can you prove they work other than your own annecdotal experience? Any studies that back up the effectiveness of the product you refer to? Its importnat becayse how do you know the cause of your loss was not due to soemthing else?

Caffeine is different, it does what it does and I dont think anyone here would deny it.

Of coarse they always forget to leave out the exact name of the snake oil.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

Of coarse they always forget to leave out the exact name of the snake oil.

I don't remember the name of the supplement or "woo magic pill promiser" but there used to be commercials for it all the time a year or so ago. It made these lovely claims that you should only take it if you have more than 20 lbs to lose because it is SO powerful and that you can lose weight without any change to diet and exercise. I did some googling to find out exactly what was in this supplement since it was clearly woo. What is the powerful, magical supplement??? It had a bunch of vitamins in it (kind of like the magic vitamins in Shakeology that makes this peddlers say it is better) and fiber and caffeine. That's it. I laughed and closed google. SO POWERFUL. NO CHANGE IN DIET AND EXERCISE. People will believe anything for the promise of weight loss.

I remember that !! I just had my son and was desperate. I was naive and saw that lovely commercial. I woke my husband up and said I needed his credit card right away because a product claimed it was for very over weight people only and would make me thin ! ( he said Eat less and move more ! And went back to bed ! Lol)
    But yes, they market the snake oil to desperate people and I was truly desperate. Luckily I realized it all came down to cico and now I'm thin without having to buy any snake oil !
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    robspot wrote: »
    ^^ wheeze laugh. That's hilarious! Albino snake also reminds me of Whitesnake:
    20th_Century_Masters_Whitesnake.jpg

I'm not really sure I'd want to buy their "oil" :s

They mostly used it in their hair I think.

• WinoGelato
    Options

Actually I think doing some research, learning that supplements provide no direct weight loss, are expensive, and can in fact have harmful side effects, is probably better than just trying something before making up your mind..,.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Actually people don't have to try before making up their mind. What people choose to spend or IMO waste their money on is their business, but I don't need to try it to know that it isn't for me and that I believe it is snake oil.

It would be pretty bad if everyone had to first try eating hemlock to decide if it's bad for you.
  • WinoGelato
    edited August 2015
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works".

Can you provide specific examples? "Only a calorie deficit works" when it comes to purely weight loss is a 100% true statement.
    Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets.

Again, we need a specific example. There are about 1,000,452,506,130 threads on here asking whether green bean coffee extract and raspberry ketones work. There is very little scientific evidence, if any, that show these specific supplements actually do anything. Most of the regulars here know it, so they give the advice that it is useless and just a scam. Are you saying they should just shut up?
    People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

And the broken record continues. Please give a specific example. I have never heard anyone on hear say that medication prescribed by a doctor is just a magic pill. I could be mistaken though. If someone did say this, it's probably someone on the fringe who has a mistrust of the medical industry as a whole.
    I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous.

Some supplements do work to curb appetite or give energy, etc. Caffeine and creatine to name a few. The benefits and side effects of the 2 specifics I mentioned are well documented and proven. I doubt any of the regulars here would call these snake oil. However, there are some reasonable and legitimate concerns on the efficacy and safety of these. If you need a placebo to motivate you then fine. However, I see no problem with someone suggesting that you can do it without the placebo and save some of your hard earned money too. In fact, I think it would be very good advice.
    I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

Again, specifics are needed. Most people here do not call a supplement snake oil without knowing anything about it. A lot of people here are very knowledgeable. Also, if someone promotes a supplement that know one knows about, the burden of proof is on the promoter. For example, I can say that monkey spit will burn body fat. I am perfectly entitled to that opinion. Also, others are perfectly entitled to criticize my opinion if they don't agree. However, it is up to me to provide the scientific proof that it works. I can't make the claim and then say "well if you don't think it works, prove me wrong." That would be illogical.

But I didn't read your post obviously. I just read the title and assumed you were obese. So my opinion can be discounted.

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

It. Doesn't. Work. There is as much conversation to be had as there is about the tiger repelling prowess of skittles.

I have nothing constructive to add, which is sad considering I wasted precious minutes of my life reading this thing.

To make it productive I feel I must ask... If skittles repel tigers, what will repel bears? I am going camping in bear country in the coming weeks, and would like to know what I can safely take to protect myself. Would I eat the skittles as a preventive measure, or throw them at the creature during an attack?

Maybe I should just stay home with my shiny silver hat :smile:

I don't know what repels bears but I know it's not beets. Fact. Bears eat beets.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Maybe I should just stay home with my shiny silver hat :frowning:

I think skittles could make a decent tiger and bear repellent. Bengal tigers attack their prey by sneaking up from behind, which is why people working in the areas where tigers live will wear masks on the backs of their heads to repel tigers. So you should be able to construct a decent tiger repellent "mask" by gluing skittles to the back of your head in the shape of a face. Maybe you could use snake oil as the glue? To repel bears, I recommend you construct a noisemaker out of your skittles so the bears hear you coming and you don't accidentally sneak up on a bear and surprise them.
    92jeb0wfbrfx.jpg
This discussion has been closed.