All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Sometimes the pills work, but they're always yanked off the market because they're dangerous.

You never know, when you take these things, what they're going to do to you. Personally, I'm against swallowing pills and powders without knowing what the heck is in them! I think people who do it are being foolish.

Furthermore, I think it's really important to learn to eat without relying on crutches. I think that's the best way to go about it, but I admit that it's just a personal opinion.

If you want to swallow the stuff, I'll support your decision and wish you well. Good luck.

I'm glad you support the swallowers. o:)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Sometimes the pills work, but they're always yanked off the market because they're dangerous.

You never know, when you take these things, what they're going to do to you. Personally, I'm against swallowing pills and powders without knowing what the heck is in them! I think people who do it are being foolish.

Furthermore, I think it's really important to learn to eat without relying on crutches. I think that's the best way to go about it, but I admit that it's just a personal opinion.

If you want to swallow the stuff, I'll support your decision and wish you well. Good luck.

I just did a spit take.

Not trying to continue the gag with that comment.

Imma stop now before I get myself into trouble.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Congratulations! You win the thread!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Op - here is the short answer , you don't need pills and supplements to lose weight , barring being prescribed something for a medical condition.

End thread/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My issue with pills, whether they work or have a placebo effect, is that it smack of a temporary solution which generally lends itself to the idea that weight loss is a stage to go through before you can go back to "normal" - normal ebing what got you to the stage of needing to lose weight in the first place.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So your saying it's dangerous to take them but you will support said dangerous decision??

That's like saying it's not safe to jump off the Brooklyn bridge, but I'll support your decision to do it.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OP your head is going to fall off soon if you keep shaking it. Relax and don't take the interwebz so personally.

LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP your head is going to fall off soon if you keep shaking it. Relax and don't take the interwebz so personally.

I thought smh was "smacking my head" like hitting yourself on the head because you can't believe what you're reading. I've been doing a lot of it in this thread.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    OP is it your contention that no one should comment about the possible outcomes of an individual's idea if he or she doesn't have firsthand experience with that idea?

For example, I've never jumped out of an airplane without a parachute but I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome would be if someone wanted to try. Should I not tell them, and instead think, "nah, they will figure it out, why would they bother listening to me, I've never tried it"?

Direct experience is only one method of validating an outcome. The vast majority of researchers don't conduct the experiment on themselves, that would invalidate the data. Should they not comment on the efficacy of supplements or other pills since they've never tried them first hand?
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    smh

Yes i knew it was pointless when i posted but it was r
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP is it your contention that no one should comment about the possible outcomes of an individual's idea if he or she doesn't have firsthand experience with that idea?

For example, I've never jumped out of an airplane without a parachute but I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome would be if someone wanted to try. Should I not tell them, and instead think, "nah, they will figure it out, why would they bother listening to me, I've never tried it"?

Direct experience is only one method of validating an outcome. The vast majority of researchers don't conduct the experiment on themselves, that would invalidate the data. Should they not comment on the efficacy of supplements or other pills since they've never tried them first hand?

It was a compound point regarding not commenting if you don't know about a product and not commenting just to be cute or sarcastic without any useful points. And many have no basis for comments on a specific supplement other than their general disdain for all supplements. It would be different if they said something about that specific supplement, which i said
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia have you tried any of these weight loss products, and have they made a dramatic difference to your weight loss?

Like I said, the only thing they did for me was make me poorer..

I've taken alot in my 35 years on earth the only ones to havr a significant memorable effect were metabolife and adipex in terms of pills. Finding a protein i liked was also a godsend for my weight loss. Had a trainer recommend lipo 6 black but told me to drink extra water because it's bad for the liver. Smh. I've done medical weight loss, weight watchers, and different shakes.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    smh

It was a compound point regarding not commenting if you don't know about a product and not commenting just to be cute or sarcastic without any useful points. And many have no basis for comments on a specific supplement other than their general disdain for all supplements. It would be different if they said something about that specific supplement, which i said

Did you have examples of supplements and pills which are in fact, effective for the vast majority of users and have a direct causal relationship to weight loss based on peer reviewed scientific studies? I saw a lot of comments about things you saw in threads that you thought were too sarcastic and generalistic but I'm struggling to understand why "it's snake oil, there are no miracle pills, save your money" is invalid advice?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    OP, as much as you don't like to hear that, but those things at best have barely any effect.

The only things that can have strong effects are illegal or prescription, and rightfully so, because of the dangerousness of changing your metabolism that much. Some of those illegal ones can straight up kill you if you have even a little too much.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works". Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets. People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous. I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

I completely agree with you OP.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    did OP ever come back..?
    No, but her ticker is stuck on ZERO pounds lost.

Anybody have some good pills to recommend?

Yes i don't log my weight everyday. Stop the presses. Smh.
    My point is that you're playing expert when you should be listening and learning from those who accomplished weight loss goals and even maintained that result.
    We've seen the pill people come and go.
    Don't be that person who knows-it-all without the results which validate the fruit of your philosophy.
    Many here have seen too many fail seeking that magic pill that makes you lose fat, gain muscle and win the lotto.
    hslkzqzxuu64.png
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    smh

But all the supplements pretty much claim the same BS and none work. I don't have to try them, I can just read the NIH scientific consensus, BECAUSE THATS WHAT SCIENCE IS FOR
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Limiting my comments specifically to weight loss supplements.....

British sports supplement researcher Dr. Ron Maughan was quoted as saying ' If it works it's banned. If it's not banned it probably doesn't work'

Case in point Ephedra.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cqsspe8gjpfv.gif

Hey folks, this thread has been cleaned up a little (and I'm stressing a LITTLE) to remove some posts that were off topic. Community guidelines can be found here if anyone wants to take a look, but posts that are designed to cause drama or reference earlier drama in the community are against community guidelines. Please keep posts ON TOPIC (i.e. relevant to the OP) and polite (no attacking/insulting/flamebaiting or any of that other fun stuff). If you see a post you believe to be violating community guidelines, please report it so that the moderation team can take a look.

Happy posting,
    davis_em
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Some might say the OP was flamebaiting?
This discussion has been closed.