Options
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green coffee bean extract

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

and a few others I cant remember the names of..

Not one of them helped one single bit. The only thing that I have lost weight doing is counting my calories and exercise
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

Not one of them helped one single bit. The only thing that I have lost weight doing is counting my calories and exercise

And the side effects....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Prescribed pills by a doctor for a health issue............not snake oil.

Advertised pills for weight loss...............all snake oil.

Does placebo effect happen? Of course. But don't pay $49.99 for a 4 week supply for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

You probably lost wallet weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    did OP ever come back..?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

yes indeedy!

Merkavar wrote: »
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

And the side effects....

None, that i noticed. They could have been sugar pills for all I know..

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

yes indeedy!

I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

And the side effects....

OH DEAR GOD!!! NOT THE EVIL SUGAR PILLS!!!

hehehe
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

yes indeedy!

I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

And the side effects....

hehehe

They would have magically made me pack on the weight, no? :lol::wink:

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

yes indeedy!

I have tried:

Garcinia Cambogia

Green tea extract

CLA

Plexus

Fibre slim

And the side effects....

hehehe

Sugar?

n6ao2w7t0ioa.jpg
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    did OP ever come back..?

no
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight alright, by not having money budgeted for food because you spent too much on gimmicks. The only things that can make you lose weight from an OTC supplement standpoint is caffeine, and that is only because excessive amounts of caffeine jacks up your heart rate and causes you to burn more calories.

And instead of those 100-200 dollar caffeine pills with lord knows what else is in them you could use that extra money to purchase and eat fibrous vegetables to be in a calorie deficit without feeling like you're starving. If you feel that you need to spend xyz to help motivate you in keeping track of your calories, that's on you. You could just drink sugarfree redbull and take a nodoz for that.

Why not just spend the money on a nice food scale, or a pedometer, or exercise dvds, things that are proven to help.

IMHO all weight loss supplements are snake oil, the reason this echoes so loudly is because we were all young and naive once and probably tried the junk. Its a mistake you are just better off avoiding altogether. Not to mention the news stories where people had to be hospitalized from these.

" A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether."
    --Roy H. Williams
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    And we learned that @slideaway1 crawls on his belly like a reptile (bonus points if you know the Ray Stevens lyrics). Photo of actual snake oil salesman below included to facilitate easy recognition.
    swbtls80317h.gif

This is the first time I've ever wanted to hug a snake.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    On the topic of placebos
    You can be aware that something is inert and it still frackin works!
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

So don't waste your money of expensive and ultimately pointless diet pills. Go buy yourself a bottle of vitamin C tabs, write "weight loss" on the side and go at it!

Yes! This was a good one!

Make sure to spend a lot of money on it to convince yourself harder. (Interesting side bit about the spending more money bit: It plays into why it's so hard to admit a program sucks or an expensive purchase was disappointing after spending lots of time and/or money because it's difficult to admit to yourself that you've wasted it. So, instead, the justification machine gets going and suddenly it is not a waste of anything and is awesome!)

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote:
    You forgot kegels!
    senecar wrote:
    I'm still going to advocate barbell resistance training over static contraction for all muscles
    I'm probably going to regret asking this, but...
    how do you apply "barbell resistance training" to the muscles targeted by kegel exercises?
    Feel free to reply by PM if the result is not PG-rated, so this thread doesn't get locked.

kshama wrote:
    What about the bad things that happen from the regulated products like Phen/Fen?
    Aside from the tu quoque, this actually shows that regulation works.
    The dangerous part was taken off the market, and phentermine is still legal, still used.
    Thalidomide is another example.
    The original mixture caused horrid birth defects, flippers instead of arms/legs.
    Once they figured out which directional molecule caused the problem*, and eliminated it from the medicine, it was put back on the market and works just as it should, without the fetal defects.

*(Often, molecules can be made / found in mirror images, or right & left-handed forms. Usually only one is bioactive. For thalidomide, both were. The bad one was removed, the good one still controls nausea.)

Returning to the actual topic which is supposed to be under discussion...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24695007

Expectancy, Self-Efficacy, and Placebo Effect of a Sham Supplement for Weight Loss in Obese Adults.
    Journal of Evidence Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine
    2014 Apr 1;19(3):181-188. [Epub ahead of print]
    Tippens, Purnell, Gregory, Connelly, Hanes, Oken, Calabrese.

Abstract

This study examined the role of expectancy in the placebo effect of a sham dietary supplement for weight loss in 114 obese adults with metabolic syndrome.
    All participants received lifestyle education and were randomized to 1 of 3 conditions:
    (1) a daily placebo capsule and told that they were taking an active weight loss supplement,
    (2) daily placebo and told they had a 50% random chance of receiving either the active or placebo, or
    (3) no capsules.

At 12 weeks, weight loss and metabolic outcomes were similar among the 3 groups.
    Participants in both groups that took capsules showed decreased weight loss self-efficacy and increased expectations of benefit from dietary supplements.

Participants not taking capsules showed the opposite.
    Adverse events were more frequently reported in groups taking capsules than those who were not.
    These findings suggest that supplements without weight loss effects may have nocebo effects through diminished self-efficacy.

PMID: 24695007
    PMCID: PMC4182347 [Available on 2015-10-01]
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    did OP ever come back..?

Of course not. You know these threads are purely recreational.

At least we got to hear about how unregulated supplements must be OK because we don't spend enough time criticizing big pharma (I know it doesn't make sense. Don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger).

hwmvxw56gy98.gif

And we learned that @slideaway1 crawls on his belly like a reptile (bonus points if you know the Ray Stevens lyrics). Photo of actual snake oil salesman below included to facilitate easy recognition.
    swbtls80317h.gif

Actually the only reason I didn't respond was because I have a job and a long commute, and my response would be too long. But I will respond more when I get home. But I was referring not just to diet pills specifically but to everything in the realm related to anything that goes in your mouth and is posted on MyFitnessPal. That includes vitamins and prescription medications. I was pointing out how a lot of people will respond and say it snake oil and there are no miracle pills without even reading the entire post or looking at the point or without knowing anything about the product That was my frustration. But I will respond more later.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Kshamalama went to smoke weeds?

This discussion has been closed.