All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works". Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets. People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous. I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

I'm interested, which supplements work and for which people?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bghere1 wrote: »
    Agree with Jozz. All things are not snakeoil. Everyones circumstances and life are different and require differing approaches. I am 48 and i work at night. 12-14 hours at night and a goodly portion of the next day is spent sleeping. Hey, guess what i am vit. D deficient what a surprise. Oh you say i should eat better, guess again i eat great. Oh get more sun. Guess again again, i have to sleep. Is that not important to my health? So sue me i take a vit. D supplement and has helped enormously. I also use protein as well as creatine and supplement my B12 via... Wait for it. INJECTIONS. Oh my heavens.
    Heads out of the sand people and sometimes outside the box also.
    My 2 cents

I don't think those are the supplements people are talking about. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a thread about diet pills.

Edited because 6 people already beat me to it. Here is something about diet pills that has not been mentioned, though: It's one of L7's best songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtuM0VcjEG8
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Azexas wrote: »
    Bghere1 wrote: »
    Agree with Jozz. All things are not snakeoil. Everyones circumstances and life are different and require differing approaches. I am 48 and i work at night. 12-14 hours at night and a goodly portion of the next day is spent sleeping. Hey, guess what i am vit. D deficient what a surprise. Oh you say i should eat better, guess again i eat great. Oh get more sun. Guess again again, i have to sleep. Is that not important to my health? So sue me i take a vit. D supplement and has helped enormously. I also use protein as well as creatine and supplement my B12 via... Wait for it. INJECTIONS. Oh my heavens.
    Heads out of the sand people and sometimes outside the box also.
    My 2 cents

Except that OP is stating about weight loss supplements (or at least that's how I read it).

Taking things that you are deficient in is fine. There is a difference between taking a Vit D supplement and taking lets say Hydroxycut to lose weight.

There's also a big difference between getting an injection prescribed by your doctor and taking whatever you read about on the Internet and bought over the counter.

Agreed 100%
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    Is this because you bumped a necro thread about garcinia cambogia and people said they didn't work?

I was just going to ask what supplement the OP was fond of that she maybe got a reality check on. ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just get annoyed that I've read so many questions about supplements, and people just cut and paste "only a calorie deficit works". Or instantly post the thing doesn't work and is snake oil and will only lean your pockets. People have posted about medical issues and that's the response without reading, i.e. "my doctor prescribed such and such for my bad liver. will it make me gain weight"? response: "there are no magic pills." smh.

I realize there are no pills that you eat whatever you want and live on the couch and lose 50 pounds a day. But some supplements might effectively curb your appetite, or give you the energy to work out, etc. and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? If you're eating better and working out more and blame the pill, what's the harm unless it's actually dangerous. I think posting that a supplement is snake oil without knowing anything about it is just as reckless as promoting something you know nothing about. Supplements obviously work for some people. I think it makes more sense to talk about specific research and what the pros and cons and potential dangers are rather than just jumping on people whenever they mention any sort of pill. If you don't know, you don't have to answer.

1. Only a calorie deficit will work because thats science, if you can link reasonable peer reviewed research to show otherwise then please do.
    2. Most things are a waste of money again please post evidence of things that are not. Again please link this liver quite so we can see for ourselves what the responses were and whether theysaid what you say they did. Your comment on this makes little sense.
    3.Again please post wher you claim people are saying theres no such thing as an appetitie suppressant or a supplement that will assist your workout. I often see in the exercise section many threads asking about pre workouts and other posters recommending them. I dont see the derision you say just some people saying they dont need them. As a supplement something like creatine is well researched and i dont see people dissing that in the way you claim.
    4. Most pills are indeed a waste of money though and I think other posters are correct in pointing this out. If you hang around long enough then you will see the threads asking what supplements people are taking and you will see its the same ones that crop up all the time.

It would be nice if you could link where your claims are from or cut and paste so people can see where you are coming from.
  • musthavescentscanada
    Options
    Lol...as a nurse and a science nerd...please please bring forth any studies (scientific, peer reviewed REAL studies) that show the efficacy of ANY "Diet Supplement", and I'll give you a hundred bucks. Seriously.
    Even Dr.Oz had to recant all his "miracle-weight loss" pill statements recently, (like when he was pimping green coffee bean, raspberry ketones, etc.)and admittedly said 'no, there is no actual miracle pill' so he didn't lose his medical licence and probably go to jail.
    Please please just read and think critically. These supplement companies have deceptive marketing for a reason...because it works to get people believing!
    Hugs Rach
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

OK. Talk about a supplement that will "effectively curb your appetite or give you the energy to work out" that we should be more open-minded about here.

It's called caffeine
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have a background and education in pharmacy. I've seen some bad things happen from some supposedly harmless supplements. Also read some even scarier things about the shocking lack of real regulation in the supplement industry. I should try to dig up some stuff later when I'm not super busy and avoiding work :|

What about the bad things that happen from the regulated products like Phen/Fen? Please include a comparison!

See also http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/CL12.pdf
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

OK. Talk about a supplement that will "effectively curb your appetite or give you the energy to work out" that we should be more open-minded about here.

It's called caffeine
    Hasn't it already been acknowledged in this thread that caffeine can provide some benefit?

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

It's called caffeine
    [/quote]

This. Are you claiming caffeine doesnt have an effect?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have a background and education in pharmacy. I've seen some bad things happen from some supposedly harmless supplements. Also read some even scarier things about the shocking lack of real regulation in the supplement industry. I should try to dig up some stuff later when I'm not super busy and avoiding work :|

What about the bad things that happen from the regulated products like Phen/Fen? Please include a comparison!

Your fallacy is tu quoque.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'...and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? .

So you're for the promotion of things that don't work?

A placebo is something that doesn't work (an inactive or inert substance). When there's a placebo effect, it means there was a beneficial effect.

f5b1d3ad9e69058ddb506280e1b0b8ee.png

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

A placebo is something that doesn't work (an inactive or inert substance). When there's a placebo effect, it means there was a beneficial effect.

So are you arguing for keeping people ignorant in the hopes they can get a placebo effect or are you just arguing?

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You, OP, are part of the problem.

Throw away your diet pills and become your own solution.

• kshama2001
    Options

What? Nowhere did I say that Rx drugs were risk free.
    Wait, a comparison of what?
    And Phen/Fen was taken off the market...because it killed people. So...

I hear more news stories about dangerous regulated pharmaceuticals than dangerous unregulated supplements but am allowing for the possibility of a confirmation bias. I just don't think it's fair to dump on the supplement industry without a comparison of the pharmaceutical industry.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

There was a beneficial effect, but it came from the belief. The actual substance did nothing. So promoting things for the chance of getting the placebo effect is promoting things that don't work - just in hopes that you'll believe they work.
This discussion has been closed.