Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have a background and education in pharmacy. I've seen some bad things happen from some supposedly harmless supplements. Also read some even scarier things about the shocking lack of real regulation in the supplement industry. I should try to dig up some stuff later when I'm not super busy and avoiding work :|

What about the bad things that happen from the regulated products like Phen/Fen? Please include a comparison!

See also http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/CL12.pdf

What? Nowhere did I say that Rx drugs were risk free.
    Wait, a comparison of what?
    And Phen/Fen was taken off the market...because it killed people. So...

I hear more news stories about dangerous regulated pharmaceuticals than dangerous unregulated supplements but am allowing for the possibility of a confirmation bias. I just don't think it's fair to dump on the supplement industry without a comparison of the pharmaceutical industry.
    Cant the supplement industry be bad regardless of the status of the pharmaceutical industry? "I know you are, but what am I" isn't very persuasive.

(Or we can go back to @senecarr 's Latin version.)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

OK. Talk about a supplement that will "effectively curb your appetite or give you the energy to work out" that we should be more open-minded about here.

It's called caffeine

This. Are you claiming caffeine doesnt have an effect?[/quote]

Not at all. Just pointing out that most of the supplements that claim to suppress appetite have caffeine. You would get the same effect from a cup of coffee for a fraction of the price

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    With the exception of prescribed medication, yes, a majority of "weight loss" pills are "snake oil".

+1

Is this because you bumped a necro thread about garcinia cambogia and people said they didn't work?

QFT!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    We all wouldn't be arguing here if the johnson enhancing supplements worked. Be too busy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In to hear which supplements work. Please cite sources.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I think you have to buy them from a Nigerian prince.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I think you have to buy them from a Nigerian prince.

Is there a supplement that will have Obama fix my mortgage?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'...and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? .

So you're for the promotion of things that don't work?

A placebo is something that doesn't work (an inactive or inert substance). When there's a placebo effect, it means there was a beneficial effect.

f5b1d3ad9e69058ddb506280e1b0b8ee.png
    So are you arguing for keeping people ignorant in the hopes they can get a placebo effect or are you just arguing?

That post was meant to correct the erroneous characterization of the term "placebo effect."

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have a background and education in pharmacy. I've seen some bad things happen from some supposedly harmless supplements. Also read some even scarier things about the shocking lack of real regulation in the supplement industry. I should try to dig up some stuff later when I'm not super busy and avoiding work :|

What about the bad things that happen from the regulated products like Phen/Fen? Please include a comparison!

I hear more news stories about dangerous regulated pharmaceuticals than dangerous unregulated supplements but am allowing for the possibility of a confirmation bias. I just don't think it's fair to dump on the supplement industry without a comparison of the pharmaceutical industry.

Supplements... as in vitamins or fat burners/appetite suppressants? What exactly are you defending here?

I doubt most people here would call a multivitamin or supplemental minerals snake oil.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I'...and even if it is a placebo effect on some of them, so what? .

So you're for the promotion of things that don't work?

A placebo is something that doesn't work (an inactive or inert substance). When there's a placebo effect, it means there was a beneficial effect.

f5b1d3ad9e69058ddb506280e1b0b8ee.png
    There was a beneficial effect, but it came from the belief. The actual substance did nothing. So promoting things for the chance of getting the placebo effect is promoting things that don't work - just in hopes that you'll believe they work.

Not only that, people should really increase the prices of these supplements because it placebos harder...

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-expensive-placebos-work-better-20150127-story.html
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Can we clairfy what we mean by supplement, we are talking about something that is claimed to have a direct effect on weight loss rather than a beneficiary secondary effect? If the Op was more precise and gave examples to back her up then maybe we could discuss. I havent see any of that.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Cant the supplement industry be bad regardless of the status of the pharmaceutical industry? "I know you are, but what am I" isn't very persuasive.

Dissing an unregulated industry while failing to enumerate the failings of the regulated industry is rather incomplete.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Supplements... as in vitamins or fat burners/appetite suppressants? What exactly are you defending here?

I doubt most people here would call a multivitamin or supplemental minerals snake oil.

I responded to this post, which refers to supplements and supplement industry rather than fat burners/appetite suppressants.
    I have a background and education in pharmacy. I've seen some bad things happen from some supposedly harmless supplements. Also read some even scarier things about the shocking lack of real regulation in the supplement industry. I should try to dig up some stuff later when I'm not super busy and avoiding work
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Dissing an unregulated industry while failing to enumerate the failings of the regulated industry is rather incomplete.
    So if I wanted to say strength training builds muscle, am I obligated to compare it to other exercises for completeness, like compared to sprint, or yoga?
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not when the regulated industry isn't the topic. Then, it's just irrelevancy to shift the focus away from what is the topic.

If someone disses sugar, is it germane to ask about all the people dying from organic lettuce tainted with E. coli?

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    We all wouldn't be arguing here if the johnson enhancing supplements worked. Be too busy.

LMAO.
This discussion has been closed.