All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Actually the only reason I didn't respond was because I have a job and a long commute, and my response would be too long. But I will respond more when I get home. But I was referring not just to diet pills specifically but to everything in the realm related to anything that goes in your mouth and is posted on MyFitnessPal. That includes vitamins and prescription medications. I was pointing out how a lot of people will respond and say it snake oil and there are no miracle pills without even reading the entire post or looking at the point or without knowing anything about the product That was my frustration. But I will respond more later.

Where did anyone say that prescriptions and vitamins are snake oil? The worst I've seen said about prescriptions (aside from the side effects) is that if you don't learn better habits while taking it, you won't have success when you eventually come off it, as they're only meant for short-term use. As for vitamins, if you aren't deficient in something, it doesn't do any good. Those things are both true.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Actually the only reason I didn't respond was because I have a job and a long commute, and my response would be too long. But I will respond more when I get home. But I was referring not just to diet pills specifically but to everything in the realm related to anything that goes in your mouth and is posted on MyFitnessPal. That includes vitamins and prescription medications. I was pointing out how a lot of people will respond and say it snake oil and there are no miracle pills without even reading the entire post or looking at the point or without knowing anything about the product That was my frustration. But I will respond more later.

Where did anyone say that prescriptions and vitamins are snake oil? The worst I've seen said about prescriptions (aside from the side effects) is that if you don't learn better habits while taking it, you won't have success when you eventually come off it, as they're only meant for short-term use. As for vitamins, if you aren't deficient in something, it doesn't do any good. Those things are both true.

Ugh i just said it. I've seen it plenty of times because people don't even read the topic fully they just have the same response to everything because they think anyone posting an inquiry wants to lose 50 pounds in three days.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    OP, please show me where people have told those on prescribed medications for medical conditions to stop taking their (not at all snake oil) snake oil supplements? I've never witnessed it. Nor have I seen people told not to take vitamin and mineral supplements if they are still working on getting all they need through diet (I take some supplements myself).

What I do see is a lot of people advising others not to spend their hard earned money on things that are proven not to work to aid weight loss, whether it's a cleanse, raspeberry ketones, teatox, green tea, whatever. Just because you're still clinging onto the false hope that you don't just have to get a grip on your calorie intake doesn't make these products any less snakey or oily.

Really? Now I personally don't have a grip on my calorie intake? Ok yet another example of somebody commenting on something they know nothing about. Smh

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Ugh i just said it. I've seen it plenty of times because people don't even read the topic fully they just have the same response to everything because they think anyone posting an inquiry wants to lose 50 pounds in three days.

Can you tell us by way of a quote where someone said that someone's medication prescribed by a doctor was snake oil? If that did happen, I'm sure the individual would have been corrected in the same thread, and there wouldn't be a need for this thread.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    With the exception of prescribed medication, yes, a majority of "weight loss" pills are "snake oil".
    YEP!
    Stop trying to rationalize an industry build upon consumer ignorance and gullibility.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    did OP ever come back..?
    No, but her ticker is stuck on ZERO pounds lost.

Anybody have some good pills to recommend?

• Jozzmenia
    Options
    did OP ever come back..?
    No, but her ticker is stuck on ZERO pounds lost.

Anybody have some good pills to recommend?

Yes i don't log my weight everyday. Stop the presses. Smh.
  • Jozzmenia
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Nope. Just because you don't like the response someone has does not mean they did not read the topic fully.

If the response is unrelated it does. Fortunately i know the difference between a researched response and a general one. Saying "there are no miracle pills" to a new poster with a laundry list of questions and statements about a product you've never tried is neither informed nor helpful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia have you tried any of these weight loss products, and have they made a dramatic difference to your weight loss?

Like I said, the only thing they did for me was make me poorer..
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Nope. Just because you don't like the response someone has does not mean they did not read the topic fully.

If the response is unrelated it does. Fortunately i know the difference between a researched response and a general one. Saying "there are no miracle pills" to a new poster with a laundry list of questions and statements about a product you've never tried is neither informed nor helpful.

So what would be helpful? Giving them false hope about a product that doesn't work and could actually be harmful?

• Jozzmenia
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Please try not to generalize. We actually could have a respectful conversation about this.

A lot of us here end up feeling protective of people because we DO see so many posts from those wanting to lose too much weight too fast, or wanting a solution for weight loss that simply doesn't exist.

It's really hard to see people insisting that there must be a good reason to spend a lot of money they don't need to spend and take miracle pills (some of which are straight-up dangerous; most of which are demonstrably useless) or buy wraps (also known to be useless) or whatever.

One big problem is that the supplement industry in the U.S. is not regulated. I could put, say, some ginger and some beetle wings and some cinnamon and some honey into capsules right now, sell it as 'Metabolism-Boosting Tiger Energy' supplement at $20 a bottle, and make any claim I want to about it as long as I don't make specific claims about being able to prevent or cure medical conditions. Wanna buy some? I have testimonials from 20 of my best friends about how well it works.

That's a problem. And pointing it out doesn't mean those doing so are being close-minded.

I could be respectful anyway. Some people resort to personal attacks... for attention i suppose. I must be morbidly obese if i have any difference of opinion. Smh.

And for those who bothered to read my initial post, i didn't say i support all pills or supplements or don't think people should provide information on them. But speaking of being general, the blanket and sarcastic statements don't help anyone. If someone said "does anyone know anything about metabolife" (old i know). I might say how i took it in college and it have massive energy to do more cardio and i lost about 15 pounds but one day woke up in the middle of the night with my heart racing. That would be need to know info. Saying there are no miracle pills, considering the person didn't ask if there were any miracle pills, is useless and condescending. And the term miracle pill implies someone is looking for a miracle. Thus the 50 pounds a day commenr. Asking if something curbs appetite or gives energy or curbs cravings, etc. Is not a miracle.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So what would be helpful? Giving them false hope about a product that doesn't work and could actually be harmful?

I tend to send them link to the NIH showing that they are bullpoop.
    https://nccih.nih.gov/health/weightloss

• Jozzmenia
    Options
    I can't really say I've ever seen you in the forums offering advice to people that need it. But you've got no problem judging those who do give advice. Be the change you wish to see.

no one's name stands out to me either that doesn't mean they haven't posted. smh. yeah i know everything is personal if I don't agree with you. I'm sure it's easy enough to see that I've posted. only it's often about actual personal experience with things not just what I've heard. though I realize it's okay to use google to find negatives not positives. smh
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP your head is going to fall off soon if you keep shaking it. Relax and don't take the interwebz so personally.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the pills work, but they're always yanked off the market because they're dangerous.

You never know, when you take these things, what they're going to do to you. Personally, I'm against swallowing pills and powders without knowing what the heck is in them! I think people who do it are being foolish.

Furthermore, I think it's really important to learn to eat without relying on crutches. I think that's the best way to go about it, but I admit that it's just a personal opinion.

If you want to swallow the stuff, I'll support your decision and wish you well. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.