Fat Free vs Farm Fresh

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I go by "if I can't pronounce it don't eat it", I wouldn't be able to eat anything!! Have you seen the "chemicals" in the apples, ohh my!!! O.o :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.

It is the peanuts that are natural in most of the B vitamins and protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that the ingredients you don't know are the B vitamin names? There is nothing scary on that label.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the ingredients are vegetables or added vitamins. Personally, I'd rather not have added vitamins, but I certainly wouldn't call them "unhealthy".
  • loeylovesyou
    loeylovesyou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    People. I'm not talking about just dairy... That was just an example.. I'm talking about all the low fat and fat free crap like pasta, chips, ice cream, those healthy eating frozen lunches, etc. all the foods that say in big letters 'fat free' low calorie...

Ok, but the "farm fresh" is what turned it into a discussion about dairy. There's no such thing as a farm fresh bowl of pasta. Well, maybe. But not day to day.

Okay maybe farm fresh isn't the right word.. I wasn't looking for people to go all crazy saying low fat is good for you. I never said it wasn't.. What I AM trying to get across is that a lot of the fad diet fat free options that parade around as diet food aren't good for your body. If they are natural and not full of processed junk then by all means it's probably good for you...
    The main point here is read the label. I know too many people trying to lose weight and get healthy, but they are eating foods based on the big label in the front stating its low in this and free of that.. Those people ask me how I've stayed so fit and healthy over the years and my answer is I don't buy into the gimmicks. I eat as natural as possible in smart portions and I exercise.

No offense, but you are also here with weight to lose just like a lot of other people. I've made it 20 years past your age and I've never been unhealthy. I do eat a lot of fresh food, but I also eat a bit of junk and premade food. I believe it's all about balance and luck. People can eat healthy and exercise and still get disease.

I'm actually not on here to lose weight.. I'm at my goal and have been for years.. I'm on here to maintain while I go through the stress of school and planning my wedding. I know when I stress I tend to not eat enough, so I thought tracking my food intake would help remind me to stop and eat enough.
    I also understand there is a balance and it's not easy or convenient to eat clean all the time.. But it's worth it if you can. And I don't know why your saying anything about disease? Nobody ever said eating healthy will save you from that! That's just nature and genetics. I do however believe that some foods can naturally help to boost your immune system to help fight some disease, but no you can't just eat healthy and expect to be disease free..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I feel like the dialogue has gone in the opposite direction, where now most people slam any food that might be considered diet-y and say that cleaner foods are per se healthier. It's not that I don't think clean, or organic, or unprocessed, etc. food is healthy, but many of us are also trying to find a manageable way to reduce calories. Sometimes that means I eat lower fat versions of foods. I love avocados, or real butter, or peanut butter, or full fat cheese, but moderation is difficult af sometimes, so I've learned to make sacrifices here and there.

valid point. if I'm cutting- I pick lower fat options if they don't taste like *kitten*- cheese- does not fall into this category LOL
    I'm actually not on here to lose weight.. I'm at my goal and have been for years..
    Then how is this a question? Clearly what you're doing is working- soooooo keep doing what you're doing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    People. I'm not talking about just dairy... That was just an example.. I'm talking about all the low fat and fat free crap like pasta, chips, ice cream, those healthy eating frozen lunches, etc. all the foods that say in big letters 'fat free' low calorie...

Ok, but the "farm fresh" is what turned it into a discussion about dairy. There's no such thing as a farm fresh bowl of pasta. Well, maybe. But not day to day.

Okay maybe farm fresh isn't the right word.. I wasn't looking for people to go all crazy saying low fat is good for you. I never said it wasn't.. What I AM trying to get across is that a lot of the fad diet fat free options that parade around as diet food aren't good for your body. If they are natural and not full of processed junk then by all means it's probably good for you...
    The main point here is read the label. I know too many people trying to lose weight and get healthy, but they are eating foods based on the big label in the front stating its low in this and free of that.. Those people ask me how I've stayed so fit and healthy over the years and my answer is I don't buy into the gimmicks. I eat as natural as possible in smart portions and I exercise.

No offense, but you are also here with weight to lose just like a lot of other people. I've made it 20 years past your age and I've never been unhealthy. I do eat a lot of fresh food, but I also eat a bit of junk and premade food. I believe it's all about balance and luck. People can eat healthy and exercise and still get disease.

I'm actually not on here to lose weight.. I'm at my goal and have been for years.. I'm on here to maintain while I go through the stress of school and planning my wedding. I know when I stress I tend to not eat enough, so I thought tracking my food intake would help remind me to stop and eat enough.
    I also understand there is a balance and it's not easy or convenient to eat clean all the time.. But it's worth it if you can. And I don't know why your saying anything about disease? Nobody ever said eating healthy will save you from that! That's just nature and genetics. I do however believe that some foods can naturally help to boost your immune system to help fight some disease, but no you can't just eat healthy and expect to be disease free..

My bad, your profile says you need to lose weight, so I assumed it was correct. As for disease, what else is meant by "healthy" other than free of disease or disease risk factors?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce.. .

ingredients you cannot pronounce is simple a result of a lack of education on the subject matter- not an inferior quality product.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm with you and Michael Pollan on the gimmicky claims.

Unhappy Meals

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

That, more or less, is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy. I hate to give away the game right here at the beginning of a long essay, and I confess that I’m tempted to complicate matters in the interest of keeping things going for a few thousand more words. I’ll try to resist but will go ahead and add a couple more details to flesh out the advice. Like: A little meat won’t kill you, though it’s better approached as a side dish than as a main. And you’re much better off eating whole fresh foods than processed food products. That’s what I mean by the recommendation to eat ”food.” Once, food was all you could eat, but today there are lots of other edible foodlike substances in the supermarket. These novel products of food science often come in packages festooned with health claims, which brings me to a related rule of thumb: if you’re concerned about your health, you should probably avoid food products that make health claims. Why? Because a health claim on a food product is a good indication that it’s not really food, and food is what you want to eat.

Read more: http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/unhappy-meals/

Six Rules For Eating Wisely

...Pay no heed to nutritional science or the health claims on packages. It was science that told us margarine made from trans fats is better for us than butter made from cow’s milk. The more I learn about the science of nutrition, the less certain I am that we’ve learned anything important about food that our ancestors didn’t know. Consider that the healthiest foods in the supermarket–the fresh produce–are the ones that don’t make FDA-approved health claims, which typically festoon the packages of the most highly processed foods. When Whole Grain Lucky Charms show up in the cereal aisle, it’s time to stop paying attention to health claims.

Read more: http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/six-rules-for-eating-wisely/
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    anchovy? Huh, do you all think its to sub as the fish sauce that's usually in thai?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that the ingredients you don't know are the B vitamin names? There is nothing scary on that label.

I bet my Thai noodle soup kicks that Thai noodle soup's butt.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    anchovy? Huh, do you all think its to sub as the fish sauce that's usually in thai?

I was thinking as a sodium base?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you asking opinion or giving us a lecture on processed foods? I'm confused :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I bet my Thai noodle soup kicks that Thai noodle soup's butt.

You would have to send me your Thai noodle soup recipe for me to comment ;)
  • loeylovesyou
    loeylovesyou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce.. .

ingredients you cannot pronounce is simple a result of a lack of education on the subject matter- not an inferior quality product.

Wow. And this is the last time I ever post on here again.
    I didn't come on here to be attacked or called uneducated. I thought this was a forum to help each other out, not name call and disrespect.
    Shame on me for thinking people would comment with suggestions and their experiences as I asked..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the ingredients are vegetables or added vitamins. Personally, I'd rather not have added vitamins, but I certainly wouldn't call them "unhealthy".

Seriously. I've heard the "I won't eat it if I can't pronounce it" for years, but how long did it take me to figure out how to pronounce quinoa?

As to the soup, that looked pretty good to me (although I'd need more calories to feel full at lunch). 480mg sodium is actually low for soup.

Yes! Quinoa. I pronounced like "kwin-o-ah" for quite some time before seeing it written phonetically. :o
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1728070/2?print=true for PB2, no vitamins listed.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4366/2 for smooth peanut butter, great source for Niacin, Folate, and Vitamin E.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I think your title should have been "processed diet vs farm fresh".
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Wow. And this is the last time I ever post on here again.
    I didn't come on here to be attacked or called uneducated. I thought this was a forum to help each other out, not name call and disrespect.
    Shame on me for thinking people would comment with suggestions and their experiences as I asked..

it wasn't a dig. It's merely a fact. There are many things I cannot pronounce, I work with a guy who does toxicity reports- I am not a chemist- I can't pronounce names in reports I handle because I lack the education- it's not what I went to school for...But I know what Young's' Modulus of Elasticity is.

It doesn't make you uneducated- it just means you haven't learned what those things are- or how to pronounce them. If you were studying it- then you would know.

Don't take it personally it has nothing to do with you personally.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Seriously. I've heard the "I won't eat it if I can't pronounce it" for years, but how long did it take me to figure out how to pronounce quinoa?

As to the soup, that looked pretty good to me (although I'd need more calories to feel full at lunch). 480mg sodium is actually low for soup.

Yes! Quinoa. I pronounced like "kwin-o-ah" for quite some time before seeing it written phonetically. :o

me to. for like a year at least after it became super popular. I do it a lot with arabic words- it's really frustrating- I get laughed at a lot for trying to say things properly- but if no one has ever taught you- then how are you supposed to know?
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    A dialogue or discussion is one thing, but you basically started a thread about why what some people do is wrong and why your eating methods are ideal. I understand your general point that low-fat isn't always healthier and people should be somewhat cognizant of what they eat, but you sort of came in swinging here. Everyone goes about weight loss in different ways and achieves their goals at different times.

If your biggest weight/eating struggle is not being able to eat enough, we're probably not coming from the same place. I respect your struggle, but what works for you will likely not work for everyone.