But...it's Quorn
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I blame Mo Farah.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have never thought it was meat. Maybe this is a comprehension problem. It's also in the veggie food section in UK supermarkets, I assume it's not kept with the beef in the US either...............
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    50iktlh3f4sa.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I hate the calorie thing though ...real chicken isn't much more ...and it's moist and ...well chicken

Quorn chicken pieces must be the only foodstuff in the world that doesn't taste like chicken
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »
    Oh come on. If people eat things without reading the labels, especially people who have allergies, then that's on them. Its pretty dumb in my opinion to eat anything without knowing what is in it. Doubly so if you have such bad allergies to things that you can go into anaphylactic shock. Isn't that allergy 101: know what's in your food/in your environment/etc (dependent of course on your allergies). I know I am allergic to cats. So if I am going to someones house I've never been to before, I take allergy pills and an inhaler with me, just to be safe (same for outdoor allergens during bad allergy seasons). If we start banning things someone might be allergic to, then we are going to not have very much to eat at all (you can find someone allergic to pretty much everything out there).

This. The first ingredient on the label is mycoprotein...I double checked. If you are allergic to fungi, you would probably be fully aware that it's a fungus.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I like Cauldron sausages, I eat those as a non-veggie. And the mince is reasonable. But yeah, the chicken isn't that great.
  • msf74
    Options
    I think that an out of court settlement is likely as the Quorn packaging does seem somewhat ambiguous.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Field roast is awesome - all of their products, particularly the sausages.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I think that an out of court settlement is likely as the Quorn packaging does seem somewhat ambiguous.

It's quorn
    Meatless
    Meat free

Wtf?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I hate the calorie thing though ...real chicken isn't much more ...and it's moist and ...well chicken

Quorn chicken pieces must be the only foodstuff in the world that doesn't taste like chicken

LMAO!!!
  • msf74
    Options

It's quorn
    Meatless
    Meat free

Wtf?

The point from the court documents linked in the OP is that the labeling is misleading or deliberately omitted the nature of the product in that it contains mould - a substance which was lethal to the poor kid who died as a result of eating the Quorn product.

It is alleged that the producers of Quorn may have deliberately concealed this fact as it could have a negative impact on profits.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It's quorn
    Meatless
    Meat free

Wtf?

The point from the court documents linked in the OP is that the labeling is misleading or deliberately omitted the nature of the product in that it contains mould - a substance which was lethal to the poor kid who died as a result of eating the Quorn product.

It is alleged that the producers of Quorn may have deliberately concealed this fact as it could have a negative impact on profits.

Well the marketing spend on creating a vegetarian brand identity must be massive internationally

I didn't realise someone had died ..that's a shame
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I get not knowing what Quorn is made of and the case is very sad but I really didn't think anyone was unaware it's not meat.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

It's quorn
    Meatless
    Meat free

Wtf?

I guess no one wants to eat food that says "Enjoy your fungus" on the label. :laugh:
  • msf74
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

It's quorn
    Meatless
    Meat free

Wtf?

I guess no one wants to eat food that says "Enjoy your fungus" on the label. :laugh:

I dunno.

Have fun frying with fungus has a certain ring to it...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    "The Food Standards Agency estimates that intolerance to Quorn is extremely low (between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in 200,000)"
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    People who have severely anaphylactic children simply don't take chances with unknown ingredients IME

I find it odd that they didn't look into it
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    People who have severely anaphylactic children simply don't take chances with unknown ingredients IME

I find it odd that they didn't look into it

I agree.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    That's really interesting. I've been eating Quorn for years here in the UK and knew what it was made from but not that it had caused problems. I love Quorn though, as a veggie it's great source of protein!

It causes problems for people who are allergic to mushrooms / fungus

Cos it's fungus :bigsmile:

..it can't just be me, can it?

It's not just you. As a person who has severe reactions to mushrooms (uncooked only, but by cooked, I mean BURNT TO A CRISP I can eat safely and that's it, so I simply avoid) I knew quorn had allergens in it. I mean for real, it's in the ingredients listing. I just googled Mycoprotein and that did it for me in like 10 seconds. (Sister in law is vegan, this was available at the restaurant we went to, which has full nutritional data on the menu because vegans love them some food data)

It can't just be me that actually reads the ingredients list, can it?

ETA: I ended up going with the seitan "chicken wings", no fungi, totally delicious. For fake chicken