Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not to resurrect an old post but....

I heard that it was actually the combination of aspartame with the citric acid that was the problem. I don't remember if it had to do with the heating process in production or not, though.

Thoughts?

For a thread like this, I think you need to bring more details to the table other than "I heard somewhere..."
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

I'm going to go on a limb here and suggest that your body is VERY well-equipped to deal with citric acid as a component in food given its concentrations.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    As a physical chemist whose graduate work was in the field of carbohydrate metabolism I thoroughly endorse this post. Thank you for taking the time not only to wrote a clear description of aspartame and its physiological destination, but also replying to people with questions.

Hey thanks tomteboda, I appreciate the support. I ended up in the softer squishier biological side of chemistry but I can definitely appreciate pchem as a science even if calculating entropic and enthalpic effects of reactions wasn't really for me (I only got the classroom experience so I'm probably misrepresenting it horribly). I'm a big fan of science not just as a job but as a philosophy and at the risk of sounding arrogant like to do outreach in terms of explaining why I think its so important to be able to recognize bias, both externally and internally. The lack of proper citation and general disregard for it in the news and public is just awful and has lead to these sorts of really unsupported claims riding high on waves of public support. I haven't been very active on this website recently though so nice to see others pitching in with their thoughts and experience on the matter.
  • TanManZilla
    TanManZilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas and such have literally zero side effects... It's the candy & syrups that have the sugar alcohols that can cause diarrhea! Also, if trying to keep insulin super low like I do while dieting, other fake sweeteners with ingredients like acesulfame-k has been known to raise insulin!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I take that some of you have not health related issues with consuming aspartame and other artificial sweeteners and that is fine.

Finally getting off sugar over a year ago I just will not use aspartame and the like since they are only emotional needs. Even celery taste sweet now. :)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I love the posts by those who clearly have not read the OP.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I love the posts by those who clearly have not read the OP.

People with agendas generally tend to ignore science.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and well explained (albeit in a uber-scientific way)

So then just out of curiosity, what is it - scientifically speaking - that was found in the studies some rely on to "prove" aspartame is harmful. Is it a super-duper concentration (un-scientifically speaking) of one of the specific compounds? That's my suspicion, but I'd be interested in an explanation from someone far smarter than myself just what it is the anti-aspartame folks are hanging their hat on (the ones who actually sort of know what they're talking about; not the ones whose totality of 'informed' opinion comes from forwarded emails and facebook posts)

Pretty sure it was the phylalanine from what I've read. People were thinking if they ate it they would end up with mental retardation or some other stuff that only happens with people who have phenylketonuria without realising that PKA is something we test for at birth :/
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Supersmart Science People,

What do you think of the recent studies that artificial sweeteners change our gut microbiome? I wasn't worried about them until I saw those.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways/
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    It's sure harmful if you're allergic to it! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Jan7locks wrote: »
    If it does not naturally exist here on this planet, It will not go into my body.
    I've always wondered why people say this. So if you need a drug to fight off an infection or save you from dying, you won't take it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Supersmart Science People,

What do you think of the recent studies that artificial sweeteners change our gut microbiome? I wasn't worried about them until I saw those.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways/
    Hardly conclusive. I'd need to see more research with SEVERAL more studies to make a better assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have never like the taste of artificial sweeteners. Any of them, I can always pick them out. And they leave a weird aftertaste. I prefer honey, maple syrup, and plain cane sugar. If you look at my diary there is one item I eat/drink that has sucralose I believe. My tassimo pumpkin spice latte. From the machine at work. The flavor seems more muted in this one and it seems to be the only product that I like that is sweetened like this. I usually get a headache from even a few sips of my husbands diet coke. Or grabbing a peice of gum. Since I make it a goal to mostly eat things that grow naturally, not made in a lab, those are not items I naturally choose. Yes, many of my foods have been in a lab, and GMOs and stuff. But I do my best. The animals we raise are raised organic and free range, the food I grow is mostly from heirloom seed when I can find it, etc. I am the crazy who believes that many of our diseases are coming from our food sources. So my stance on franken foods is not likely to change no matter how chemically similar we can argue they are.

Aaannnddd now I see how old this thread is.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Robingmurphy aspartame is literally a just a methyl ester of a dipeptide, whatever influence it has on your gut microbiome would be no different than the influence had by taking a bite of chicken followed by a bite of an apple.

My question to you would be, what food or drink doesn't influence your gut microbiome?
  • Aaron_K123
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am the crazy who believes that many of our diseases are coming from our food sources. So my stance on franken foods is not likely to change no matter how chemically similar we can argue they are.

Youngmomtaz whenever someone says that they believe X and they won't change that belief regardless of evidence I sort of have to just shrug and walk away at that point. I mean whats the point right?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123, you're right. When someone's position becomes a matter of religious belief, its no longer the realm of science.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Aspartame almost killed me I ended up with blood poisoning and it's because of this! I went into anaphylactic shock I don't care what anyone says it's dangerous

That just means it's dangerous to you.

Exactly. My daughter's friend has a peanut allergy. Consuming peanuts might result in anaphylactic shock for her.

So, I guess that means that peanuts are dangerous and should be avoided by everyone?

Of course! Much easier than expecting the allergic person to simply avoid their allergen or carry an Epi-Pen.

I'm allergic to wasps. Yes, deathly allergic. I carry an Epi-Pen, but I would happily have wasps eradicated off the planet because I've never found a good or irreplaceable need for them in nature's food chain anyway. :)

Eradicate wasps and say good bye to figs!
  • msheskajones
    msheskajones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seriously what do you work for MOnsanto????? Its bad for you...Are you one of their Scientists that just lies to people.It was Proven its harmful.Monsanto was called out for Lieing to Congress.Seriously!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Seriously what do you work for MOnsanto????? Its bad for you...Are you one of their Scientists that just lies to people.It was Proven its harmful.Monsanto was called out for Lieing to Congress.Seriously!!!

Please post peer-reviewed scientific studies to support your claim (there have already been plenty posted to refute it). We'll wait.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Strong first post

tin-foil-hat.jpg