Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sometimes I get depressed; sometimes I get crabby. Either way, exercise helps. I'm drawn to cardio for depression and lifting weights for crabbiness.

Same here: cardio for depression, weights for crabbiness.

Great post OP!

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @jemhh Fantastic post!
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I read articles like that every month even though I know what's happening. Helps me get through it? I tend to gain about 3-5 pounds every month during my period. Not leading up to it, but during my period itself. And the crazy hunger hits me at the end of my period. Doesn't make sense scientifically, but it's pretty consistent so at least I can recognize what's happening.

I agree working out helps tremendously with PMS.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love this! Hopefully they will sticky it. We also need a sticky for bra references for ladies with larger breast.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Good information all packed into one post :) Thanks for sharing!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If y'all want to see this stickied, someone should add it to the nomination thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies#latest
  • eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I used to freak out because I get so bloated and gain 3 or 4 pounds during my period. Not to mention debilitating cramps and I want to eat everything under the sun. I just try to temper cravings with food swaps and eating at maintenance. Also ladies, raspberry leaf tea is great for cramps. :wink:
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I should have worked out more this week. I am about 1-2 weeks away from my period and have been crabby since Monday. Worst of all, have had mad cravings and been eating insane amounts of food over the past 2 days. I had fried chicken wings for lunch and promised myself I would stop after...even skipped dinner because I am still full. Then grumped at DH all night and finally got so worked up I ate a huge serving of brownies. UGH... Have. To. Get. A. Grip!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question but does your body recognize all these phases during the same time frame when on birth control?

Mine is starting any day now and between that and lifting today- I just can't eat enough! I like the idea of just maintaining during those days and maybe that would have prevented the bingeing I did today. I am going to move on from it and be better tomorrow!
  • brittyb727
    brittyb727 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!! I have to make sure to keep up the water during my lovely week, and hide the chocolate!
  • hearts77
    hearts77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I recommended this thread for a sticky.
  • jennnfdsjk13
    jennnfdsjk13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I used to have the Mirena IUD, and I noticed an INSANE amount of bloating and cravings the week before my period. I'm on a oral contraceptive now (Mirena was awful for me personally and contributed to ovarian cysts - not fun), and it'll be interesting to see how my cycle and my weight responds.

Recommending for a sticky! I always feel like a whacko for noticing changes in my weight/how I feel during my cycle, it's nice to see I'm not alone.
  • RWayne48
    RWayne48 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    great thread - but wait until perimenopause! :s and it all goes to heck in a handbag - never had problems now it's either MIA or a menstrual monsoon and the only warning are major cramps - With the better weather I'm hoping increased activity means decreased symptoms otherwise it could be another 3-6 years of this - my poor husband!!!!
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just recently gained 4 pounds due to probably water weight and this helped me and made me realize I need to chill. Thank you!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    brittyb727 wrote: »
    Awesome, thank you!! I have to make sure to keep up the water during my lovely week, and hide the chocolate!
    Watch out with the water intake. It's nuts how much I pee on my cycle. :s

• PhoenyxHellfyre
    PhoenyxHellfyre Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question but does your body recognize all these phases during the same time frame when on birth control?

Mine is starting any day now and between that and lifting today- I just can't eat enough! I like the idea of just maintaining during those days and maybe that would have prevented the bingeing I did today. I am going to move on from it and be better tomorrow!

For me, my body does recognize some of these phases. I get the bloating and temporary weight gain, even though I don't technically get my period anymore. (And then I add a pound from stress from the panic attack when the scale seems to zip up. *sighs*) Voracious hunger or specific cravings are more sporadic, and seem to be based more on what's going on in my life in the weeks leading up to the invisible ToM. But yeah, eating at maintenance when the body seems to demand all the foods is a good way of maneuvering through it.

• hrsj022
    hrsj022 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a 5lb upswing right before and the first few days last few days I dropped all 5 plus my normal goal..when I saw the upswing me and the scale took a few day break til I felt the bloat fade