Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm curious if any ladies have super regular periods.. Mine come every 25 days between the hours of 9:30-10:30am, without fail every month.

If I'm in maintenance or a surplus, yeah. 28 days. I can feel ovulation around the standard 14 day mark. If I'm in a deficit and I'm relatively lean...who knows. I completely skipped last month. The month before I bled for 10 days.

I don't even know what regular periods versus irregular means. Like I have been dealing with so many medical issues and yet I keep being told I am mostly normal. But neither here nor there, my cycle in the last two years has ranged from as little 25 days to as many as 44 days in between, which never help me figure out what phase I am in, and I have never been lean. It would make it better to figure out what has to do with my cycle and what doesn't if it where clockwork like that.
    Still an awesome thread!

Yeah it would be hard to tell if yours are that irregular. Do you have PCOS or anything? The next time your period starts mark that as day 1 of your cycle. Start paying attention around day 13/14/15/16 to see if you can feel ovulation. I get a pain but obviously not everyone does. You can also look for a discharge and gauge your temper/mood (some people can get hormonal/cranky--I get batchit crazy). If you have a longer cycle you might not ovulate until much later.

I downloaded a period tracker app, which also tells you when you should be ovulating. Maybe pointless if she's irregular?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'll take this opportunity to generically recommend the 2010 "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Dr. Christiane Northrup, which is available in my library system so perhaps yours as well. I've found it very helpful with dealing with various female challenges over the years.

Also, the fertility section taught me how to successfully use fertility awareness for birth control.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if any ladies have super regular periods.. Mine come every 25 days between the hours of 9:30-10:30am, without fail every month.

If I'm in maintenance or a surplus, yeah. 28 days. I can feel ovulation around the standard 14 day mark. If I'm in a deficit and I'm relatively lean...who knows. I completely skipped last month. The month before I bled for 10 days.

I don't even know what regular periods versus irregular means. Like I have been dealing with so many medical issues and yet I keep being told I am mostly normal. But neither here nor there, my cycle in the last two years has ranged from as little 25 days to as many as 44 days in between, which never help me figure out what phase I am in, and I have never been lean. It would make it better to figure out what has to do with my cycle and what doesn't if it where clockwork like that.
    Still an awesome thread!

Yeah it would be hard to tell if yours are that irregular. Do you have PCOS or anything? The next time your period starts mark that as day 1 of your cycle. Start paying attention around day 13/14/15/16 to see if you can feel ovulation. I get a pain but obviously not everyone does. You can also look for a discharge and gauge your temper/mood (some people can get hormonal/cranky--I get batchit crazy). If you have a longer cycle you might not ovulate until much later.

I downloaded a period tracker app, which also tells you when you should be ovulating. Maybe pointless if she's irregular?

I have a tracker too. I mean they are close if you're regular but even so, not all women ovulate within that 14-16 day range. I'm regular and sometimes I'll feel myself ovulate late (mostly due to stress). If you're not regular yeah, the tracker won't help you much.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Still an awesome thread!

You can also get a basal body thermometer and track your cycles that way. I believe it is the most accurate at-home way of pinpointing ovulation and cycle tracking.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ever since I got my husband fixed (bwahahaha!) I kind of stopped paying a lot of attention to my menstrual patterns as much. But, this is crazy, after my doctor started having my track my blood pressure, I can tell when I'm ovulating because my blood pressure will be crazy high for about 20 hours. It drove me crazy the first time I noticed it, because I'd been having normal readings for about a month, then suddenly 127/90, 132/78, etc, throughout the day. I was like, what the heck? I haven't had any salt, I haven't done anything different! Am I having some kind of stroke or something? The next day, normal bp.
    Anyway, if you have blood pressure monitor at home, and have nothing better to do than track your BP three times a day, it might be a convenient way to track ovulation if you aren't regular enough for the tracker app. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options

Still an awesome thread!

Can you post a link to the tracker?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Still an awesome thread!

I use one on my Android phone called Period Tracker. It's little icon is a pink flowers on a white background.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Still an awesome thread!

I don't know how to post a link to the app. It's in the play store (Android), and it's called period tracker! I'll post a screenshot.
  • Christine_72
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! :) I'm not looking for a "fertile window" ... I'm hoping my "fertile window" will close entirely very soon ... but because everything has gone so wonky, and my Dr and obgyn always ask me to describe my last 6 months, I thought it might be helpful to track things.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mpy1bc5oc4h1.png

Yep, that's what I use too.

Didn't realize it's November in Australia but it makes sense since it's autumn for you all right now. :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    haha I pay no attention to the fertile window, my husband's had a vasectomy. I like the ovulation and tracker features. There's probably other stuff it does that I haven't checked out yet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mathiseasy wrote: »

Still an awesome thread!

You can also get a basal body thermometer and track your cycles that way. I believe it is the most accurate at-home way of pinpointing ovulation and cycle tracking.

Ah true. I've never needed to go that far to know but that would definitely be more accurate.

I use that same tracker but didn't log for a few months and now it tells me I have 114 days until my next period.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    mpy1bc5oc4h1.png

Yep, that's what I use too.

Didn't realize it's November in Australia but it makes sense since it's autumn for you all right now. :wink:

Hehe yes we're miles ahead of the US :wink: This was a screenshot of the app through the playstore, not my own personal downloaded one.
    eeewww winter starts in a few days, and you guys are coming up to the beautiful warm weather!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LOl @ it being Nov......but thank you @arditarose and @Christine_72 for the advice. I have used the same app for about a year, and even track in another, because I am silly and like the cute factor of the other period app tracker.

I am not sure about PCOS, or another menstrual issue, I asked the OBGYN about thyroid issues and completely forgot about PCOS or another menstrual issue >.< Agh, but one of my factors is horrible bloating, that worsens at night, plus sometime I do feel ovulation, sometimes, twice in a longer cycle. I may have to do the fertility approach when I get back into weights and more intense work outs, but for now, I am on easy going work outs till we figure out what is wrong, so I can wait till having to be that meticulous.

I will ask at my next appt with my doctor, but it is interesting to see how many days for each woman and what factors into their normal.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I use PeriodTracker as well. I bought the pro version because I *hate* all the cutesy pink stuff. I love the custom symptom tracker, I use it to track my lupus & allergies as well.

7ytolvv2h8ec.jpg
    pt.jpg 52.7K
  • hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread! I have been beginning to notice how my weight changes throughout my cycle and it makes it a lot easier to cope with the stalls when you know there's a whoosh coming up soon!

To those who were asking about apps for tracking your cycle, I use Clue https://www.helloclue.com
    It has a beautiful interface and allows you to track anything and everything you need. There's even a section for inputting your weight.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Still an awesome thread!

Lmao I have pcos and get batshit crazy for a few days too. I know the feeling g of ovulation and I swear u feel it but numbers at Dr's say I'm not ovulating. (Not trying to concieve)
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Still an awesome thread!

I use one on my Android phone called Period Tracker. It's little icon is a pink flowers on a white background.

I have used that for years it's great!! Even if you aren't regular if you track it helps to see patterns. I try to track moods as much as possible too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    just have to share: For the first time ever during my period my weight did not fluctuate up the usual 2lbs....weird...but nice! :smile: