Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Got 2/3 of the way through Lyle McDonald: Fat Loss For Females on youtube last night. Very interesting!

Topics that are covered:

1. Female physiology and why it is more difficult for females to lose fat compared to males.

2. Menstrual cycle and birth control and how they effect fat loss.

3. Hormonal profiles (PCOS) and how this effects fat loss.

4. Metabolic adaptations and practical recommendations
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hey ladies!

We get a lot of threads with titles like “TOM--gained a pound!” or “PMS and can’t stop eating!” This is my attempt to create a reference thread about those issues. Please add any info (especially good websites/resources/articles) that you may have about this subject.

Thank you for doing this ... this is a much-needed resource on this forum. :)

• PocketDonna
    PocketDonna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post, thank you!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Extremely well written! Thank you!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for posting OP xx
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    question. I'm losing about 1 pound per week and eating an average of 1300 calories per day. My period is delayed by 2 weeks. i've taken 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative. I have been regular for a few years, so it is unusual. Is it a sign that I should slow down my weight loss or is it a normal byproduct of weight loss?
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    question. I'm losing about 1 pound per week and eating an average of 1300 calories per day. My period is delayed by 2 weeks. i've taken 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative. I have been regular for a few years, so it is unusual. Is it a sign that I should slow down my weight loss or is it a normal byproduct of weight loss?

You're not losing weight excessively fast, but stress or sickness can make your period late or cause you to skip a cycle.

So it could be a product of your body adjusting to the lower intake of calories, or perhaps you're working out more?

In either case, it should sort itself out, but if it's persists for more than a few months, I would see a doctor.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, and I freaked out too until I did some research on it. Never felt completely at ease until it finally came, lol.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Thanks so much for putting all this down!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've listened to Lyle speak on this on two different podcasts. Can't wait for the book. I've always known about water retention during ovulation and TOM but hearing him break it down and also relate it to training was great.

I don't mean to post TMI but I wanted to give a little example of just how much craziness your cycle can cause on the scale. During my last ovulation I am 99% sure I had a large cyst that burst and it was late. I was just trying to get into a deficit. I was bloated, in pain, and not losing. Now, just because I ovulated late doesn't mean I got my period late, so only a few days later I got my period. For some reason I bled for 10 days. Now here I am thinking this is a good week to get an accurate weigh in, period is over, right? But the scale was up 4 lbs this morning. Then I remembered that I bled for 10 days, so here we are back at ovulation and retaining water again. Can you imagine how frustrating this would be for someone who is new to calorie counting?! It's still frustrating for me!

And also how frustrating it is for those women who have 10 day periods all the time :(

Are you ok? A cyst sounds terrible!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »

You're not losing weight excessively fast, but stress or sickness can make your period late or cause you to skip a cycle.

So it could be a product of your body adjusting to the lower intake of calories, or perhaps you're working out more?

In either case, it should sort itself out, but if it's persists for more than a few months, I would see a doctor.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, and I freaked out too until I did some research on it. Never felt completely at ease until it finally came, lol.

Great advice.

My period disappears for awhile every time I started cutting my calories . I usually end up with a 60-70 day cycle and then it goes back to normal. I'd probably wait another week or two and then see a doctor just in case since this is the first you've had it happen.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've listened to Lyle speak on this on two different podcasts. Can't wait for the book. I've always known about water retention during ovulation and TOM but hearing him break it down and also relate it to training was great.

I don't mean to post TMI but I wanted to give a little example of just how much craziness your cycle can cause on the scale. During my last ovulation I am 99% sure I had a large cyst that burst and it was late. I was just trying to get into a deficit. I was bloated, in pain, and not losing. Now, just because I ovulated late doesn't mean I got my period late, so only a few days later I got my period. For some reason I bled for 10 days. Now here I am thinking this is a good week to get an accurate weigh in, period is over, right? But the scale was up 4 lbs this morning. Then I remembered that I bled for 10 days, so here we are back at ovulation and retaining water again. Can you imagine how frustrating this would be for someone who is new to calorie counting?! It's still frustrating for me!

And also how frustrating it is for those women who have 10 day periods all the time :(

Are you ok? A cyst sounds terrible!

Aw I'm all good. Cysts are fairly common. Thanks for asking!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    needs a bump :smile:
  • lovebirb
    lovebirb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nice info! This should be stickied since this matter disrupts 1/4th or more of a woman's workout/weight loss routine.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'm curious if any ladies have super regular periods.. Mine come every 25 days between the hours of 9:30-10:30am, without fail every month.

Not any more!

Mine were quite regular (not to the minute, but I could name the day and it was usually in the morning) up till late 2013. And then ... well, basically, all hell broke loose.

• NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if any ladies have super regular periods.. Mine come every 25 days between the hours of 9:30-10:30am, without fail every month.
    Yup, every 28 days, almost always around 3:00am. .... And then on and on and on for about 10 days... Thinking about it this way, if I add ovulation and PMS, I may have 10 good days per month..... Sigh.... Bloating around both and the twinges start 2-3 days before period and then get cramps for 3-4 days... Hahaha... The miracle of life giving! :P
    I used to freak out every time the scale was up 2-3 pounds, now I analyze it better, sometimes it still gets to me and drags me down!

Great Post, OP,
  • Machka9
    Options
    Nudging to the top again.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    nice post :)