Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    just have to share: For the first time ever during my period my weight did not fluctuate up the usual 2lbs....weird...but nice! :smile:
    I'm a few days out from bleeding and despite a lot of sodium yesterday, I'm at my lowest weight.

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    just have to share: For the first time ever during my period my weight did not fluctuate up the usual 2lbs....weird...but nice! :smile:

Has your diet been any different recently?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    hannydeee wrote: »
    Excellent thread! I have been beginning to notice how my weight changes throughout my cycle and it makes it a lot easier to cope with the stalls when you know there's a whoosh coming up soon!

To those who were asking about apps for tracking your cycle, I use Clue https://www.helloclue.com
    It has a beautiful interface and allows you to track anything and everything you need. There's even a section for inputting your weight.

I'll make a note of that one too. Maybe see which I like better. :)

• killielila
    killielila Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love the post bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Excellent post.
    I don't know if it's been addressed in later posts, but many women also see a scale increase of 2-4Lbs around ovulation. This is primarily water weight, of course.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm curious if any ladies have super regular periods.. Mine come every 25 days between the hours of 9:30-10:30am, without fail every month.

Yep. I can't count it to the hour, but I know it will likely pop up. Mine come about every 32 days.

:smile:

I've noticed many women have them between 28 and 30 days. Am I the outlier with a 25 day cycle?

Mine comes pretty regularly every 23 days and has so for about 20 years now.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Excellent post.
    I don't know if it's been addressed in later posts, but many women also see a scale increase of 2-4Lbs around ovulation. This is primarily water weight, of course.

I have water weight for around three weeks - from just before my period to just after ovulation :( The scale just doesn't shift at all for those weeks (although it did increase on just one occasion). When I was heavier, water weight wasn't a problem at all - I had weight loss every week - and my periods were all over the place. Now I've lost a considerable amount, my periods are bang on every 28 days and water weight really messes me about. So frustrating but you just have to believe in CICO and keep going with it.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if any ladies have super regular periods.. Mine come every 25 days between the hours of 9:30-10:30am, without fail every month.

Yep. I can't count it to the hour, but I know it will likely pop up. Mine come about every 32 days.

I've noticed many women have them between 28 and 30 days. Am I the outlier with a 25 day cycle?

I used to have mine every 21 days like clockwork. So annoying. But they were never extremely heavy and usually only lasted 4 days max.

Fast forward to perimenopause and endometriosis. Horrid.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »

I used to have mine every 21 days like clockwork. So annoying. But they were never extremely heavy and usually only lasted 4 days max.

lol so much more to look forward to :neutral:
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    After 20 years or so of irregularity and often going months between periods thanks to PCOS, my cycle settled in at about 35 days. Last month was 28 days though (surprise!). I've found a lot of utility in tracking them.

I've also found that exercise, and probably weight loss, have had positive effects. Even though the gyno told me there was nothing I could do to improve it because it was genetic and I wasn't overweight :| I was bumping up against an overweight BMI at the time and am in the middle of the normal weight range now, but more active and with more muscle mass.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you!

My period is like clock work. Yesterday I was crabby and became a crazy chocolate monster. Checked my period tracker and turns out I'm mid-cycle and not pre-menstrual! Haha just a crazy lady without the hormones then.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »

lol so much more to look forward to :neutral:

Well, hopefully you won't get endo. I never had female problems until several years ago, and I honestly think it had a lot to do with my weight gain (increased body fat and estrogen). I'd never been so heavy in my life, not even with my two pregnancies. Oh well.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This could use a bump since it didn't make into the stickies with the latest sticky update.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This could use a bump since it didn't make into the stickies with the latest sticky update.

You beat me to it.

Others can nominate this thread for a sticky here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    After 20 years or so of irregularity and often going months between periods thanks to PCOS, my cycle settled in at about 35 days. Last month was 28 days though (surprise!). I've found a lot of utility in tracking them.

I've also found that exercise, and probably weight loss, have had positive effects. Even though the gyno told me there was nothing I could do to improve it because it was genetic and I wasn't overweight :| I was bumping up against an overweight BMI at the time and am in the middle of the normal weight range now, but more active and with more muscle mass.

I found this as well -- weight loss, activity, and increased muscle mass all made a difference as far as cramps. And as a bonus, I am slightly more regular now, to the point where I can tell within a day or two when it will start. Not so many surprises! (I use the free "My Days" app to track.)

Not for nothing, but it wouldn't hurt MFP to include that kind of tracking in this app. We account for at least half their users!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Here is a podcast that features Lyle MacDonald talking more in depth about his research on this topic: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/icecream4prs-podcast/id905054765?mt=2&i=365683438

(For all you auditory learners out there, or those with a long commute like me ;) )

Thanks for posting this! Which podcast number is it, @kathrynjean_ ? I can't see the full name of the interviewee on their podcast list.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Bump, plus another app rec. I like the MyCycles app. I know it's available for iPhone. It's completely free and gives you all of the bells and whistles. I synced it to my Fitbit, and not it automatically syncs my weight to the app, so now I can see how my weight is affected by my cycle.

Question: has anyone noticed that their resting heart rate increases as they ovulate or the week before their period? I have a Fitbit HR, and I noticed that my RHR can increase upwards of 5-10 beats, and gradually decreases back to normal when my ovulation window closes or when my period is about to come.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Question: has anyone noticed that their resting heart rate increases as they ovulate or the week before their period? I have a Fitbit HR, and I noticed that my RHR can increase upwards of 5-10 beats, and gradually decreases back to normal when my ovulation window closes or when my period is about to come.

I have never noticed this but I will have to try to see if I can notice it in the future.

My problem right now is that every single time I cut calories, my period disappears. I am not using a big deficit now--200-250 calories. And yet, no period. It's normal for me to be abnormal in this way but it is annoying because I have no idea when it will show up. For the past year my indicator that its arrival is imminent is feeling completely grumpy/mad about absolutely everything ("I wish everybody would shut up and leave me alone") so now anytime I start to get annoyed about something I think "maybe my period is coming" but, alas, it has not.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

24 to 28 days for me currently.
    My period used to be consistantly 28 days then it was 25 days. I just turned 42 though and my period is less consistant, doing things like spotting for 3 days before starting or starting a few days later than expected with more pms. Fun.