Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Not talking about calories while WE were in school is one of the main reasons we're here. People will not understand the energy balance if they don't know about it. I'd rather see them discussing calories and energy requirements than the "no smarties" notes I used to get in the kids' lunches.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Not talking about calories while WE were in school is one of the main reasons we're here. People will not understand the energy balance if they don't know about it. I'd rather see them discussing calories and energy requirements than the "no smarties" notes I used to get in the kids' lunches.

This! ACTUAL nutrition classes would be awesome. There should be more of a focus on practical nutrition information in their health classes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I tend to agree with this. A lot of people seem to think that talking about overeating or calories or food choices or getting fat with children automatically dooms them to an eating disorder. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and talking about these things was completely normal. And there were very few overweight children back then. It's sad that we seem to have forgotten how to teach children to eat normally.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Seeing as far more people are affected by obesity rather than anorexia/bulimia, this is good education to prevent future problems with diet.

So, yes, kids should learn to count calories, so they aren't completely lost on why they put on the Freshman 15...

I think there's a difference between "kids" who are between the ages of say, 7-14, and "kids" who are in high school who should start to know more about what kind of food they require to fuel their bodies. Teenagers in high school have a better chance of understanding more information like this and how to apply it to their lives than younger children who will just get confused and who understand more basic concepts like how fruit is good for you and that exercise is also good for you.

If my child in elementary came home and told me that their teacher was talking to them about how many calories they should eat I would be mad. I want children to be children. I don't want them to worry about how many calories they're taking in during the day - that's my job as the parent.

According to Michelle Obama, you and your fellow parents receive an F- en-masse, in doing your job. We can't trust you as a group.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Seeing as far more people are affected by obesity rather than anorexia/bulimia, this is good education to prevent future problems with diet.

So, yes, kids should learn to count calories, so they aren't completely lost on why they put on the Freshman 15...

I think there's a difference between "kids" who are between the ages of say, 7-14, and "kids" who are in high school who should start to know more about what kind of food they require to fuel their bodies. Teenagers in high school have a better chance of understanding more information like this and how to apply it to their lives than younger children who will just get confused and who understand more basic concepts like how fruit is good for you and that exercise is also good for you.

If my child in elementary came home and told me that their teacher was talking to them about how many calories they should eat I would be mad. I want children to be children. I don't want them to worry about how many calories they're taking in during the day - that's my job as the parent.

According to Michelle Obama, you and your fellow parents receive an F- en-masse, in doing your job. We can't trust you as a group.

She's not the first lady anymore so her opinion doesn't matter.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

I tend to agree with this. A lot of people seem to think that talking about overeating or calories or food choices or getting fat with children automatically dooms them to an eating disorder. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and talking about these things was completely normal. And there were very few overweight children back then. It's sad that we seem to have forgotten how to teach children to eat normally.

Totally agree. I don't know why talking about it is so taboo. It's like saying educating kids about drugs and sex is going to turn them into crack kittens.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't think talking about it is the issue being raised. Its how its being talked about that seems to be the problem. I know nothing about the OP's kid or gym teacher but from the description I'm picturing that person we all know who is always going on about what they eat and how many calories and then projecting it on to others by counting the calories in THEIR foods. I could be totally wrong, but that's what came to mind. I remember them talking about the 4 food groups in school so it's hardly a new thing. Maybe nutrition education just needs to be tailored to the current student population.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

Unfortunately the activity for.most kids is walking to and from the school bus that stops in front of theit house because we can't have them walk a half block down the street to a common stop. Then walking to the video game once home from school.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think talking about it is the issue being raised. Its how its being talked about that seems to be the problem. I know nothing about the OP's kid or gym teacher but from the description I'm picturing that person we all know who is always going on about what they eat and how many calories and then projecting it on to others by counting the calories in THEIR foods. I could be totally wrong, but that's what came to mind. I remember them talking about the 4 food groups in school so it's hardly a new things. Maybe nutrition education just needs to be tailored to the current student population.

This would be my issue. The people in my kids' school who are "in charge" of lunch inspections are nothing more than stay-at-home moms with zero nutritional training. Most are overweight themselves and are spewing out whatever that happened to read on Facebook that morning. Education in actual science-based nutrition would be great! What they have going on now is FAR from that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I don't think talking about it is the issue being raised. Its how its being talked about that seems to be the problem. I know nothing about the OP's kid or gym teacher but from the description I'm picturing that person we all know who is always going on about what they eat and how many calories and then projecting it on to others by counting the calories in THEIR foods. I could be totally wrong, but that's what came to mind. I remember them talking about the 4 food groups in school so it's hardly a new thing. Maybe nutrition education just needs to be tailored to the current student population.

This is true. I just doubt that what was described is really going to cause any harm to the children.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

This is true. I just doubt that what was described is really going to cause any harm to the children.

In most cases I would agree. If I were the OP, though, I would be speaking to the teacher to get a clearer picture of what is being taught and go from there. I don't think we have enough information for a true opinion but I do think the parents should be proactive as something does seem to be going on and is effecting the child in question and possibly some of his/her classmates. Its possible the kids are misunderstanding, but its not impossible that the teacher is going overboard.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

In most cases I would agree. If I were the OP, though, I would be speaking to the teacher to get a clearer picture of what is being taught and go from there. I don't think we have enough information for a true opinion but I do think the parents should be proactive as something does seem to be going on and is effecting the child in question and possibly some of his/her classmates. Its possible the kids are misunderstanding, but its not impossible that the teacher is going overboard.

I agree the parent should talk to a teacher if they have questions about what is being taught. In a civilized and adult manner of course. It should be a discussion, not an attack.

The fact that his child has 2 parents with a history of eating disorders may be more of a reason for his problems than remarks by a teacher.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

I agree the parent should talk to a teacher if they have questions about what is being taught. In a civilized and adult manner of course. It should be a discussion, not an attack.

The fact that his child has 2 parents with a history of eating disorders may be more of a reason for his problems than remarks by a teacher.

I definitely think that factors in.
  • Sari4409
    Sari4409 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a conversation with the teacher before jumping to too many conclusions. Voice your concerns/questions and find out why she teaching about this.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Jokes on you because I'm not actually a parent yet. MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

But anyways - childhood obesity is definitely an issue, especially in the US and Canada so I can see why she would've said that. It's definitely something that has to be addressed but I don't think it has to be addressed in the way this teacher is apparently doing so.

Unless you elect to home school, you will be constantly learning about what they learned in school, and adjusting it with your perspective as their parent. I guess I'm saying, talk to the teacher but don't have a cow about it, use it as a method to start discussing proper nutrition with the little devils.

For full disclosure, I don't have kids but do volunteer in a middle school
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

Jokes on you because I'm not actually a parent yet. MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

But anyways - childhood obesity is definitely an issue, especially in the US and Canada so I can see why she would've said that. It's definitely something that has to be addressed but I don't think it has to be addressed in the way this teacher is apparently doing so.

Unless you elect to home school, you will be constantly learning about what they learned in school, and adjusting it with your perspective as their parent. I guess I'm saying, talk to the teacher but don't have a cow about it, use it as a method to start discussing proper nutrition with the little devils.

For full disclosure, I don't have kids but do volunteer in a middle school

Hats off to you. I often get nostalgic because me kids are nearly done with high school, but not for middle school, lol.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    First of all kids need proper calorie intake for proper growth. If kids are active they should be able to eat what they want. If concerned about eating healthy teach healthy eating habits. They should not be counting calories and going to the extremes this teacher is teaching them.

She is setting those kids up for an eating disorder and she should be reported to the administration. I think that is absolutely horrible.

I would disagree with most of this. Children should never be allowed to eat what they want. They'd likely live on chips and candy. Parents should teach children how to eat properly - proper portions along with proper nutrition.

Yes and no. My girlfriend's ten year old son is a rare exception to this. Dude still has several huge bags of candy kicking around that were given to him as gifts about two years ago.

The screwed up part? He's starting to have weight problems. He doesn't eat what most would call "junk food", but he outeats his energy expenditure. I don't care if it's fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, too much of anything can cause fat gain problems. We all know this, so the people in this thread pretending like it doesn't apply to children are just baffling me.

I don't think anyone's pretending that this doesn't apply to children.

What people, myself included, are saying is that I don't think you should present the concept of healthy eating to elementary aged children in the way that this teacher apparently is.

I agree there, based purely on the fact that, as I said, it can just be too much information at once, and the selective memories of children can warp things under the best of circumstances. However, several here have stated that the idea of calorie counting being put in the heads of children is anathema to them.