Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No diet or exercise

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I tried hydroxycut with exercise and watching what I ate. Ended up not losing but having my blood pressure become dangerously high.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »
    You're asking on a diet and excersise site......seriously what do you think.

I was simply asking if it's ever worked for other people. I personally don't think it works but everyone is different. I haven't tried other stuff but other people have.

The answers saying you must be in a deficit to lose weight are incorrect. Freezing does cause weight loss without diet or exercise, as does liposuction. These things destroy or remove fat cells from your body causing you to lose fat without being in a calorie deficit. They are not magic, they are clinical procedures and they do work.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I was simply asking if it's ever worked for other people. I personally don't think it works but everyone is different. I haven't tried other stuff but other people have.

The answers saying you must be in a deficit to lose weight are incorrect. Freezing does cause weight loss without diet or exercise, as does liposuction. These things destroy or remove fat cells from your body causing you to lose fat without being in a calorie deficit. They are not magic, they are clinical procedures and they do work.
    Question: Does freezing work because it does something to the body (e.g., causes it to jettison fat for some reason)? Or just because people burn more calories trying to maintain their body temperature?

Weight loss surgery and medical procedures, like liposuction, are the only exception I know of to the general rule that to lose weight you have to eat fewer calories and/or burn more. I don't know enough about them to say whether they're a good idea.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

we are all actually the same, eat in a calorie deficit and we all lose weight; eat in a calorie surplus and we all gain..

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

Question: Does freezing work because it does something to the body (e.g., causes it to jettison fat for some reason)? Or just because people burn more calories trying to maintain their body temperature?

Weight loss surgery and medical procedures, like liposuction, are the only exception I know of to the general rule that to lose weight you have to eat fewer calories and/or burn more. I don't know enough about them to say whether they're a good idea.

Google Coolsculpting. Bariatric surgery actually relies on a calorie deficit. It limits the amount you can eat and forces you into a deficit. Liposuction and coolsculpting are the only methods I know of (other than having a body part removed) that cause fat loss without a deficit.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

Google Coolsculpting. Bariatric surgery actually relies on a calorie deficit. It limits the amount you can eat and forces you into a deficit. Liposuction and coolsculpting are the only methods I know of (other than having a body part removed) that cause fat loss without a deficit.

There are some illegal and potentiality dangerous drugs such as DNP which cause weight loss even without a deficit.

In the presence of DNP, fat and carbohydrate in food are broken down but production of useful energy for cells is impaired and is instead released as heat. As a result, body reserves of fat and carbohydrate are mobilised and weight is lost.

Not that I tried it or fancy cataracts...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

There are some illegal and potentiality dangerous drugs such as DNP which cause weight loss even without a deficit.

In the presence of DNP, fat and carbohydrate in food are broken down but production of useful energy for cells is impaired and is instead released as heat. As a result, body reserves of fat and carbohydrate are mobilised and weight is lost.

Interesting. Never heard of that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Is that the one people have died from by essentially "cooking" themselves from the inside?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I haven't but the Kim Khardashian method of catching the flu to knock off 6lbs is tempting.....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you guys are talking about...I used magical unicorn sparkles and lost a lot. It is just a coincidence that I carry a pocket scale in my purse and have a bag of stinky gym clothes next to my desk. Nothing to see here, move it along.

I will sell you my magical unicorn sparkles if you would like to lose weight as effortlessly as me. They come in rainbow and pink. All you have to do is BELIEVE!

How much for the "Rainbow Magical Unicorn Sparkles?" Once my Nigerian inheritance comes in I'll be flush with money, so no price will be too high.

I'll put together a "friends and family" deal just for you. Coincidentally, you can also decorate frosted cookies with them. Magical, as I said.
  • mechell007
    mechell007 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I lost weight puking (not intentional) and not being able to eat, all while laying in bed because I was so weak... Does that count? That's my "secret". I wouldn't suggest going this route. Go with the unicorn sparkles, sounds much more appealing.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.

Wow really?! I honestly thought this was an urban legend!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »

Wow really?! I honestly thought this was an urban legend!

There were/are some really bizarre weight loss methods.....

Tongue patches, cotton balls, HCG, ear stapling, nicotine. Anything for a buck.