Anyone doing/done intermittent fasting?

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    If you don't mind my asking, I have heard of intermittent fasting, however I don't know the science behind it. I guess I could just google it but thought maybe you could just give me an idea. How is it different if I ate 1500 calories in a 12 hour window versus the same amount of calories in an 8 hour window? I am currently doing keto and wanted to see if maybe this is something I could fit into my lifestyle. Thank you in advance! :)

there is no difference. it just helps some adhere to their calories if they have a window of time to eat it. even with IF you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. I have done IF most of my life because Im not a breakfast person. and I have also gained weight eating too much in my window of time.weight loss is not going to be any faster if you eat the same amount of calories , meal timing has no effect on weight loss,gain,etc

This is me - I have never been a big breakfast eater and skip it most of the time. There is nothing magical about IF - I got fat eating 2 meals a day and lost a ton of weight eating 2 meals a day. It all boils down to how many calories you eat during the eating-window.

yep I got fat too eating too much and moving too little. its easy to overeat even doing IF lol
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Kami1990 wrote: »
    Woah! 60 pounds??! That is so inspiring! I really like intermittent fasting and can see myself doing it long term. I've tried low carb diets like the ketogenic diet, and they are just too strict for me, I never last very long on keto.

Yeah, its was actually close to 70 but I went WAY to far with exercise and diet. I got way too skinny, borderline unhealthy look. Packed on another 10 in muscle. I personally avoid "diets" and just try and eat healthy. For me its chicken, salads, beans, veggies, veggies, did I mention veggies, zero calorie diet ginger ale/seltzer, and some nuts here and there.

My eating habits were horrible 5 years ago. So gross. Milkshakes every night, maybe with a few beers. Overeating every meal with some sugary juice or other unhealthy stuff. Just started swapping out the bad one at a time. I no longer have any sweet tooth or desire for unhealthy foods. No cravings, I enjoy healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle.

• Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 16:8 right now. I have just restarted...I have also done longer fasts other than just intermittent however, that was more for religious purposes than it was for weight loss. I find that keeping a good fasting/ eating schedule keeps away that mindless eating that can sometimes get people into trouble.

Religious fasting is more important for sure. I definitely have issues with mindless eating. I wish you luck on your journey!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    If you don't mind my asking, I have heard of intermittent fasting, however I don't know the science behind it. I guess I could just google it but thought maybe you could just give me an idea. How is it different if I ate 1500 calories in a 12 hour window versus the same amount of calories in an 8 hour window? I am currently doing keto and wanted to see if maybe this is something I could fit into my lifestyle. Thank you in advance! :)

there is no difference. it just helps some adhere to their calories if they have a window of time to eat it. even with IF you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. I have done IF most of my life because Im not a breakfast person. and I have also gained weight eating too much in my window of time.weight loss is not going to be any faster if you eat the same amount of calories , meal timing has no effect on weight loss,gain,etc

This is me - I have never been a big breakfast eater and skip it most of the time. There is nothing magical about IF - I got fat eating 2 meals a day and lost a ton of weight eating 2 meals a day. It all boils down to how many calories you eat during the eating-window.

Oh yeah, you definitely have to monitor your caloric intake. People make the mistake of eating fast food thinking they'll lose weight if they fast the rest of the day. Unfortunately, you still have to make healthy choices!
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    I do 23:1 IF have been doing it a couple of weeks with good results.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Great question! I'm not an expert. But... Your body fully digests your last meal after 6 hours. The next 10 hours of fasting starts burning the fat you have stored as you sleep. It's best to work out during your fasting window also.

Digestion takes way more than 6 hours and it takes longer than that to go through your glycogen stores. Also unless you are in a calorie surplus your body doesn't store fat. Meal timing makes very little difference.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Oh yeah, you definitely have to monitor your caloric intake. People make the mistake of eating fast food thinking they'll lose weight if they fast the rest of the day. Unfortunately, you still have to make healthy choices!

Fast food doesn't make you gain weight. Eating more calories than you burn does.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    ituakalau wrote: »
    Fast5 - three years now...eating window varies any time between 1pm-10pm

This is me too ^^^ I will probably always do this as I have found it to be the closest to my bodies natural eating pattern, I just stopped fighting it.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

yep I got fat too eating too much and moving too little. its easy to overeat even doing IF lol

I had a problem with over eating when I first tried IF last year. I would wake up starving, and dreaded having to wait until 11a.m or noon the next day, as I am always a breakfast eater. I love a big breakfast. I picked the wrong timing and it seemed too impossible, so I quit. This July, I found a way to do it that makes it seem like I'm not restricting myself. I eat from 8a.m to 4p.m. A pretty normal eating schedule, just moving your last meal from 6 or 7 in the evening to 3:30 in the afternoon. It's really working for me!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Woah! 60 pounds??! That is so inspiring! I really like intermittent fasting and can see myself doing it long term. I've tried low carb diets like the ketogenic diet, and they are just too strict for me, I never last very long on keto.

Yeah, its was actually close to 70 but I went WAY to far with exercise and diet. I got way too skinny, borderline unhealthy look. Packed on another 10 in muscle. I personally avoid "diets" and just try and eat healthy. For me its chicken, salads, beans, veggies, veggies, did I mention veggies, zero calorie diet ginger ale/seltzer, and some nuts here and there.

My eating habits were horrible 5 years ago. So gross. Milkshakes every night, maybe with a few beers. Overeating every meal with some sugary juice or other unhealthy stuff. Just started swapping out the bad one at a time. I no longer have any sweet tooth or desire for unhealthy foods. No cravings, I enjoy healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle.

Well, I'm glad you got yourself back to a safe and healthy weight. That's great you're taking such good care of your body, and what you put into it. Anytime I cut out the junk food for an extended period of time, I stop craving it also. It's a real addiction. Once you get off of it, you realize how terrible those foods are for your mind and your body. Eating unhealthy, even just occasionally, makes me feel depressed, which makes since because when I ate that way every day for so many years, I was depressed all of the time.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I do the IF schedule for me which is 12:12- for instance if I eat by 11:00 am for breakfast- I stop 11:00 pm or any time before then - sometimes I end up doing 14:10 or on rare occasions 16:8-- in ALL these windows I have lost weight- the main thing for me too is being in a calorie deficit. I also LOVE to eat at night- which I used to be terrified of- because everyone said i would gain-- but no..... I will now save 200-300 of my calories for nighttime snacking and still lose so far. It has helped take a lot of stress out of it- plus I usually end up with two meal and my usual snacks- so less planning , prepping etc.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I do the IF schedule for me which is 12:12- for instance if I eat by 11:00 am for breakfast- I stop 11:00 pm or any time before then - sometimes I end up doing 14:10 or on rare occasions 16:8-- in ALL these windows I have lost weight- the main thing for me too is being in a calorie deficit. I also LOVE to eat at night- which I used to be terrified of- because everyone said i would gain-- but no..... I will now save 200-300 of my calories for nighttime snacking and still lose so far. It has helped take a lot of stress out of it- plus I usually end up with two meal and my usual snacks- so less planning , prepping etc.

Great job! I'm glad it's working for you. I would rather skip the late night eating, because I'm always so stinkin hungry in the mornings! I love the less planning/prepping
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I know there are numerous different ways of eating and everyone chooses what works best for them. I have done low carb/keto for a while and I think I am going to move towards IIFYM. I don't mind measuring and tracking my food (I have been doing it since 2011) but I think IIFYM would just be better than strictly restricting certain types of food, at least for me. :)
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Thank you all! I know there are numerous different ways of eating and everyone chooses what works best for them. I have done low carb/keto for a while and I think I am going to move towards IIFYM. I don't mind measuring and tracking my food (I have been doing it since 2011) but I think IIFYM would just be better than strictly restricting certain types of food, at least for me. :)

Just don't restrict too much that you feel defeated and end up quitting or binging! I've done both so many times. I eat hot cheetos every day. I just make sure I'm staying within my 1500 calories. I also am avoiding fast food joints and restaurants like the plague. Best of luck to you!
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Great question! I'm not an expert. But... Your body fully digests your last meal after 6 hours. The next 10 hours of fasting starts burning the fat you have stored as you sleep. It's best to work out during your fasting window also.

it takes 6-8 hrs to digest a meal,but will vary from person to person. as for fat burning it does happen at rest but working out while fasting isnt going to make a difference either as some people cannot work out fasted due to blood sugar issues and other health issues. The best time to work out is when you want to. there is no best time

I agree but have to point out digestion takes 30+ hours from gum to bum.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I eat what I wanted and still lost/lose weght.. that includes fast food. and if you eat fast food and eat nothing the rest of the day as long as you are in a deficit of calories you WILL lose weight.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

it takes 6-8 hrs to digest a meal,but will vary from person to person. as for fat burning it does happen at rest but working out while fasting isnt going to make a difference either as some people cannot work out fasted due to blood sugar issues and other health issues. The best time to work out is when you want to. there is no best time

I agree but have to point out digestion takes 30+ hours from gum to bum.

"There is no best time" different people have different opinions. Right down to the experts. Added benefit from exercising during fasting may or may not be true. Research the internet and you'll find different articles on IF singing different tunes. You say tomayto I say tomotto.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!