WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Its been a LONG day of learning today. Arghh. I'm stressed and tired I'll be going to bed shortly. Hope I can sleep more than the 4 1/2 hours I've slept for the last several nights. It gets to me after a while.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    It is so bad when people have a bad 'people' experience at church, especially if it is a leader in the church. Yes, some people go away fir good.

My SIL used to make a mistake crowave peanut brittle every Christmas. Mmmmmm, so good.

I like be the way many of you speak of your spouses. There is a wonderful book, generally taught in a church type setting but it has relavance with anyone. Gary Chapman I think is the author 'The five love languages' or maybe it is just er love languages. There are so many of you that your language is the gift of service. Others the gift of disserment.

We had our October lunch get together for our Sunday school class. We have one lady that I think of so often because of Becca. Her husband didn't get his over transplant and over time died. He is one of the four men who died this year. Anyway, the wife Jackie has the gift of device. And she just happens to be an excellent cook also. So today she hosted the lunch. Usually when some one hosts it, it is in thier home or at church and they provide a desert and do a devotional which is optional. Well today we went to a local restaurant which is popular with the older crowd. She truly hosted. There were about 20 of us and she paid the whole bill! Plus she made a gingerbread cake which really tasted like a scrumptious pumpkin cake and had specialty choloclates sitting all over the tables and en at the end pass d out small snack sized zip lock bags so we could take the chocolate home. Some ladies were hesitant and took one piece. There were others like me that were saying no if you don't want the, I will. We have a family here in town that makes chocolate. There are two brothers Mike and Steve Lib's and they both have their own shop. I don't know why they are separate but they are good!!!! She bought so,e chocolate balls that were filled with salted caramel.

We called Ellie today to wish her happy birthday. She is 11 now. I had never heard her so excited. Her other grandma sent her a check for $50 and she got it last week and went on Amazon and ordered what is called a Rasperry Pi, not pie. I had never heard of it but will keep it in mind. It is a the first step in building your own computer. Her Dad had all the rest of e stuff to make it work and she wa Sao excited. She loves archery and her parents bought her a cross bow. I have orders a build your own android.

Tonight I wrapped the two Operation Chritsmas child boxes. I would much rate wrap an entire box than wrap the lid and box sepately. Of course I had a lot of unwanted help with Mozart! Yeah, lot of 'help' there. So I will deliver them tomorrow. I know they want them wrapped like that so they can inspect them but I wonder if they often remove things in a very overstuffed box and put in a box that doesn't have much in it. And that is fine wi me. I had to put the real heavy rubber bands on the boxes to keep he lid on. I'm surprised Charlie didn't mind at all. But he knows we went to all dollar stores of some kind.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm here trying to catch up. Made it to pg. 33.
    Had the cortisone shot. Wanted to rip someone's head off. 3 hairline fractures in the ankle.
    Tired, cranky and distinctly unfriendly

Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Morning all,

Just a quick note - I've been writing 700-800 word blog posts over on my blog, so not much here. Took the kids out to dinner last night at a barbecue joint, it was actually really good. All is well, the grandkids are still alive after ten days of being cared for by Grandpa, and he and my son-in-law are making plans for the work my DH will be doing on my DSiL's truck while he's gone! That's a trust factor that is beyond belief for a Southern male--and will be a welcome relief to my husband from duty with the grands.

Sharon - I've done the hairline fracture thing, but with an elbow. Painful! Hope the shot helped!

Reading every day.

Love y'all!
    Lisa

[edited by mods]
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Happily looking for inspiration in many directions, I'm stuck in the mud right now. So for now, I'm just gonna pull each muddy foot in front of the other and carry on until it takes me somewhere I want to be!

NYKAREN

[edited by mods]
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked some black beans from dried in the IP and today I'm going to make a veggie chilli with them and other pulses for my DSIL's veggie boyfriend. I will freeze it, but have a small amount tonight with sea bass and broccoli. :D

We're popping out this afternoon to buy some "treat food" for our 13th wedding anniversary next Monday. It will be faux caviar, sour cream and blinis for starter and either Dover sole or fillet steak for main. I have homemade plum kulfi icecream for dessert in the freezer.
    I have bought DH a t shirt for his present which looks like he has a pair of headphones around his neck. Cool! It's just arrived from Amazon.
    Can't believe we have been married 13 years. It still feels new and fresh. <3 The advantage of marrying in your 50s I guess.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I was just introduced to fitnesspal 10 days ago after attending a health fair and learning I am at high risk for prediabetes
    just became menopausal a couple yrs ago and am sitting more on the job = less energy and difficult to fit in activity!
    my eating habits are not terrible BUT after tracking for 10 days (which means I was even more conscious about being careful) I observe that I get too much fat and sodium and not enough protein, fiber and exercise.
    I don't want to wait till i retire (1-3.5 yrs) to get healthy! but how to fit exercise in while working long days...
    My ultimate goal is to lose 30-35 lbs but I would be happy w/ half that!
    In the last 10 days I have not lost a pound!
    Will check back in soon if you have any tips for me,
    Tammy
    Adirondacks, NY

:) Welcome, Tammy. This is a good day to start healthier living. I started with baby steps---changing a little at a time. Start by eliminating some of the high sodium foods or adding some fiber to your diet. Find a way to be active during your lunch break at work. Schedule an hour for walking on the days you don't work. Read this thread every day to get ideas from others about what to do. And do not be discouraged. These changes take time.

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • tallee
    tallee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been out of the loop since July. I had a death in the family and lost my job all in a short period of time. I just reached my one year anniversary of not smoking but am the heaviest I have ever been. I have been this heavy before as my 'before' pix show. My goals for Nov are starting over. 1-Track food. 2-Walk at least 30 mins a day on the treadmill. 3- I will try to reach 10,000 steps a day by the end of the month.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Has been a while since I was caught up on mail,but that’s what a no/ poor night of sleep will do.Woke up yesterday at 3 am......so of course sleep came early last night ........NO,...was awake till past 1am & awake at 3am...again.Time change is not my friend!

DH only has 2 Wks before OP surgery to take out a stent inserted during surgery.Hopefully it will go well.He was in his 70’s both (only) times in hospital .......has always had great health.His Mom was the same way......my parents too,no Drs or hospitals.Different Times,different ways for sure.A cold meant Vick’s....lol.

Put turkey drumsticks in the slow cooker last eve,will cook all day,then into freezer.Smells so good as it simmers. Will use the broth for gravy,stuffing & noodles.Just us,DD & SIL for Thanksgiving.I could live on the sides! So good ......

This will be our first “no gifts” for Christmas.The family is going on a cruise & we all agreed on no gifts.DH & I have decided to pass on the cruise.Just doesn’t interest us.....ole devil age kickin in.No place like home!

Janetr..know what you mean about a 2 nd Mom. Sis was 11 yrs younger,so both Sisters & bro were my babies.
    Good,luck with selling your pretty ornaments.Gave most of mine to DDs & Grdaughter few yrs ago.

Sharon,Ooooh that had to be a pain in the foot! Feel better soon.

Heather,when our DD was born,she was the 1 st Grchild on my side & 1st that his parents were around......they had another one in diff state.All the Grparents,Great Grparents,aunts & uncles bought her more than a child could handle.At just turned 1,While I made breakfast she ignored gifts & loved the boxes.....all under foot of course.Funny how some things seem like just the other day.

Someone mentioned mental problems.The news makes me wonder why we don’t all
    have problems.Maybe every generation feels like they no longer recognize this world.
    As someone said,off my soap box. Going to have a bite to eat,then finish cleaning. Pat

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I want to thank you for suggesting "experiences" for presents. It prompted me to buy a restaurant voucher as a present for my son and DDIL in Hove. The Ginger group has a posh restaurant, two pub restaurants and a country pub restaurant, as well as rooms, so they can pick their "experience". Another two presents crossed off the list. :D They normally go out somewhere once a week, so that's perfect.
    I would buy an experience for the kids and would prefer to do so, but I don't want to put pressure on the parents. I will take advice from my DDIL. My preference, if they were short of money, would be to give them the cash to choose a great day out, but they are short of time, not money. :ohwell:

Bought Dover sole for our anniversary next week.

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Terry: Thanks for your kind words. :smiley:

Felicia: Have a good adventure with your DH. :smiley:

Heather: I've been above my maintenance goal for a little while, too. I'm down three pounds today and closer to where I want to stay. I did it by skipping the alcohol and backing off on the leftover Halloween candy. :embarassed:

GettinfitInMN: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :flowerforyou:

Ginger in TX: Walking is great exercise. WTG! :star:

Allie & Langman: How about a picture of your new haircuts? Please--- :wink: (I got mine cut yesterday, too. Same cut as before--just doing maintenance.)

Patceoh: Our fridge is connected to the house water pipes so that it can make ice automatically and you can get water or ice-cubes from a dispenser on the outside of the door. :flowerforyou:

Tammy Adirondacks NY: Welcome! If you want to be successful you will need to count calories and move more. Patience is also a requirement because this is a slow process to get from where we are to where we want to be--and stay at goal. I recommend measuring portions using a food scale, measuring cups or dishers. Let MFP set your calorie goal and settle in. Several of us have been here for years. The support, advice and friendship here are amazing. :flowerforyou:

Rye: Sorry to hear the hot flashes are making problems for you. The good news is that they'll go away--eventually. I had hormone therapy for a little while but it was worse than the hot flashes so I quit. Read up on all the latest medical advice on the matter. I lost three aunties to breast cancer that was caused by their hormone therapy. This was many years ago and the hormone replacement doses were way too high back then. (((hugs)))

Heather: I like the idea of experiences for the grandchildren, too. You're right about experiences requiring the parent's time and that can be in very short supply. For now, things work best as gifts for my grandchildren because of their parent's workload. :ohwell:

I am grateful that my grandson is home again, but worried about the load of stress my daughter is carrying. Her DMIL is her best ally. Her DH is planning to go back to Colorado to work on the house there asap and won't be home for Thanksgiving according to the most recent information. It is a good/bad thing. If they sell the Colorado house they can buy one for themselves near where she works. He won't have to live in the same house with his dad and that may make a very big difference for the family. He needs to finish the upgrades in CO so the house will sell at a good price. We will just have to see how things go. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

[edited by mods]
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    tallee wrote: »
    I have been out of the loop since July. I had a death in the family and lost my job all in a short period of time. I just reached my one year anniversary of not smoking but am the heaviest I have ever been. I have been this heavy before as my 'before' pix show. My goals for Nov are starting over. 1-Track food. 2-Walk at least 30 mins a day on the treadmill. 3- I will try to reach 10,000 steps a day by the end of the month.

I hope things are settling down for you. I am sorry for your losses.

I had fun with third graders yesterday. I taught a lesson on crayfish. I learned beside showing their pincers they back up when threatened. Not a bad idea. If possible they go and hide too. Also not a bad idea depending on the circumstances.

Nice to have computer and phone back. We do have back up phones for emergencies. I have had the same Trac phone for fifteen years. It costs $25 a year for me. I only call out on it. It has saved me in grief in certain situations.

:heart: Margaret