Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Oh good. Aspartame. Can I call bingo now?

LOL, go for it.

Aspartame is one of, if not the most studied additive in the history of the food industry. There are hundreds (thousands) of unsquashed studies and the "big food/pharma is trying to kill you" squad has been trying to prove it is harmful for over 50 years with no success.

The public has decided, because they don't know how to read, understand, and vet scientific studies and research. I will say, if I was a rat I would avoid having a constant and overwhelming volume of aspartame pumped into my bloodstream, because that is the only time aspartame has been proven dangerous.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just wish that more traditional medicine embraced things that potentially could help people, like DNA testing. When 23andme came out, the medical community was dead set against it. It's turning out that some of the research based on this genetic testing has already helped with some new innovations/therapies.

As I understand it, the medical community was against people getting DNA information about heightened risk for certain scary diseases (or less risk) on your own, without medical advice explaining what it means and, in many cases, that it is not a death sentence (slightly higher risk of Alzheimers does not mean "I might as well stop bothering, as I am getting Alzheimers"). I think this makes sense.

I also believe (as janejellyroll pointed out) that DNA screens are used for various things. In other cases, they may not be necessary -- I am at heightened risk of hemochromatosis, as my mother has it, but rather than testing for it they can just test for iron, which they do.

Most things DNA doesn't help much with yet, although it is interesting. I've had a DNA test (for family history) and did some of the medical type screens because I was curious, and it told me some things I already knew (not lactose intolerant) but mostly just somewhat different risk levels or "this gene is thought to be one of various related to this."

Amusingly, one of the things you can do with DNA tests is have it predict your eye color. The prediction for mine was a light-ish blue that looked like my dad's eyes. But mine are green. ;-) It's all quite complex, and that's without getting into something that has a variety of other inputs too (as with things like tendency to gain weight, addiction, etc).

The DNA analysis told me mostly stuff I already knew - that my mom is in no way lactose intolerant despite her claims (after reading the results she finally admitted that she just hates milk, after 80 years of lying about it!), that we carry genes associated with heart disease and obesity, etc.

It's interesting that I also have green eyes and the prediction also missed them, and thought my eyes looked like my blue eyed mother's. I wish I had gotten my dad's DNA before he died - his were like mine but with enough brown to be more hazel than green. It seems that one of the genes they have yet to identify is the one that makes your eyes and mine green!

Fun! Which I think is the point - 23and me and ancestry were not able to show enough good and consistent results to gain approval to get medical info. It's not that it's being kept from us, it's that the results are at this point too sketchy to base anything other than fun personal facts on.

Poor mom, technology ended her charade!

I've been tempted to do one of them for giggles, but I'm hesitant to send something as personal as my DNA to a corporation for no reason. I've seen too many futuristic movies, I guess there's a little tin hat in me as well :lol:

That's a reasonable worry - there have already been cases where Genealogy sites were used in criminal cases. But on the other hand, the database is also being used to research and develop new treatments.

In my case, I have one of those stories that end up on the commercials - testing my mom's DNA and comparing it to our cousins led to the discovery that the man she had believed to be her father was not, and her biological father was the man she had grown up believing was her stepfather. Since both men are long deceased and she loved her stepfather and thought of him as her "real" father, this discovery caused no embarrassment for anyone and was a pleasant discovery for my mother. But you never know what you might discover, so it's best to be prepared for anything.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    johnwelk wrote: »
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-04-evidence-linking-leaky-gut-chronic.html

Here's another article on a study demonstrating "Leaky Gut" by a scientist at Harvard Medical School. The only information I could find (recent) debunking leaky gut was just opinion blog (no scientific backing) by Gastroenterologist associations that just call it "quackery" based on five or ten year old information. Of course, they have nothing (money) at stake. ;):D:D:D

Here is the actual study. It's in mice and nothing to do with leaky gut.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28423466/

Did you miss this part of your own link:
    A professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School, Fasano explains that, while some alternative health care practitioners use the term "leaky gut syndrome" to describe a variety of health problems ranging from gastrointestinal complaints to neurological symptoms, he prefers the concept of loss of intestinal barrier function. "Leaky gut syndrome has been blamed by some non-mainstream practitioners as the reason for almost everything that is wrong with a person. With the development of this mouse model to study inflammation, we'll be able to separate science from speculation," he says.

Seems to me he doesn't support the fake disease known as leaky gut.

Do you actually have any evidence proving leaky gut is a distinct condition and separate condition from increased intestinal permeability? So far your failing miserably.

Since "leaky" and "permeable" are synonyms, I'd say a study demonstrating Permeability is good enough. I was debating if the gut could be leaky, not how to necessarily fix it (though I personally believe that eating a whole food plant based diet is a good start). That's how asinine these discussions get. You are saying a study that's conclusive about the gut being permeable has nothing to do with the gut being "leaky". Alrighty then...

I think what you're confusing is that I'm agreeing with the Chiropractors telling people to drink Bone Broth to fix their "leaky gut". I've said I don't agree with that so I'm not sure what you're arguing. Leaky doesn't mean permeable (and had nothing to do with it according to you). Well, most dictionaries would disagree.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-leaky-gut-real

By the way, Healthline isn't the most pro Holistic site in the world. But this article does a nice job admitting that the gut can be permeable but that a lot of the information put out by (some) Holistic docs is suspect. And that no causation (yet) can be determined.

I (think) what you meant is that "leaky gut" and "leaky gut syndrome" aren't the same thing? You are saying that "leaky gut syndrome" is something of a diagnosis that has suspect fixes (I agree with you!). However, the quote you linked from my article does not say that a gut can't be leaky. These are quite different statements.

No you are conflating the two. Increased intestimal permeability is a real condition, but it is the result of another condition, such as Crohns. Increased intestinal permeability has not been proven to cause other disease. Whereas "Leaky Gut" and "Leaky Gut Syndrome" are supposedly the cause of numerous human ailments, but both are fake diseases diagnosed by fake doctors which requires useless supplements to "treat."

Wow, can't literally argue with that logic. You win!

This discussion has been closed.