WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I am making serious progress on my end of the year todo list. I like to start the year with organized files, office and house. I’m getting there.

I'd like that too, but with a day and a half to go, I don't think I'm going to get there! :grin: I'd need a cast of thousands to come in here and help me!!

Machka in Oz

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Karla-I forgot to congratulate you on your new grandson. Babies are so much fun and such a blessing.
    kJ-have you heard from anyone from TX yet. We are such wimps in cold freezing weather that it looks like Wednesday is the warmest day. I have an all day commitment but will cancel if that day works for anyone.
    Suedes in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did Gilad's Ultimate Body Sculpt DVD today. It's really all cardio, no weights. Even tho the title of the DVD would lead you to believe it was weights. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love's Extremely Ripped Hardcore DVD.

Exercised, Denise and Pete left today, then went to the soup kitchen. I want to get things a) out of my freezer and b) there not be a possibility that I might take a sample. Then went to Kohl's and for 3 Christmas ornaments I paid $1. I thought they might have an apple corer, but they don't carry it in the store, only on the net. So I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and got one. Then went to Aldi. I invited Ken & Lynette here for dinner Sun and I might try making an apple pie, this time I'm going to follow the way Amanda makes hers. I'm even going to use the same apples she uses. She uses honeycrisp. Her pies don't come out all liquidy like mine. The only thing I can think that I do differently is that I chunk up my apples whereas she slices hers. I do have a slicer in my food processor so I'll use that. After BB&B went to Aldi to get the apples and a few other things.

janetr - what an adorable letter! It was so heartwarming to read that he was thinking of the pets and not of just what he wanted. Sounds like he must be an extra special kid. Well, of course he is. Just look at who his grandma is!

Heather - love the game "Five Second Rule". Sounds like what you played

M - how I miss being able to hang the sheet/towels/clothing outside!!! Our Christmas Eve meal is all fish and the pierogi that I make -- no meat. But must have pork on New Years!!! lol Good luck on your run

Allie - I agree with Terry, Alfie feels your stress coupled with the fact that he's probably missing you some. That's most likely why he's acting up.

Hi Linda

Katla - so glad your dog is doing better

Carol - to be honest, I haven't seen the commercials for WW, mainly because I DVR everything and the fast forward thru the commercials. But I will keep my eye out now.

NYKaren - oh, yes, the gym will be crowded for the next couple of weeks. Then it'll drop off but then pick up again as people are getting ready for the summer. then it'll drop off for the summer, pick up after the kids go back to school, drop off for the holidays, pick up after the first of the year. Never fails.

KJ - Jess' bf likes Woot Stout. He's a stout drinker. Oh, my heart melted at Joaquin's kissing you

Heather - I hope you hear from your friend soon. It must be terribly hard on you

DJ - sending hugs for you

Beth - I remember my aunt and cousin going outside on NYE and banging pots and pans.

Terry - I like using "connections" in the name, but I'm not sure about the "inspiring" part. I do like the "connections" part, tho. Very fitting. I'm going to think on another name without the "inspiring" part. Even "Connections Jewelry"

How sad to read of people having their decorations down and put away. I invited Ken & Lynette here for dinner Sun. I'll make some sort of pork roast. I'm also going to try making another apple pie. Hope it comes out OK this time around

Went to see the lights at Charlotte Motor Speedway tonight. I was expecting more. Just don't know what more I was expecting.

Denise called to say she'd gotten home and that it was a "long" drive. Well, it's really not that bad, we do it in one day. Well, Vince does, I usually spend the night at Jess' in VA and then the next day drive to PA because I don't want to drive on 95 after having driven for something like 7 hours.

Michele in NC
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I love reading about your New Year traditions. We never had any when I was growing up. New Year's Eve is our (me and my DH) wedding anniversary. We will stay in and cook crab legs, watch movies and try to stay awake to watch the ball drop in Times Square. New Year's day, the Christmas tree will probably come down. I can tell each day when I get home from work that my DH has put away a few more of the decorations. He thinks he's sneaky!

I'm so excited for a 3-day weekend with no commitments! I plan to relax and read a mystery, while wrapped up in a lap quilt since it is supposed to be -25 degrees tomorrow.

Some time this weekend, I'm hoping to turn our extra room into a rocker room... I'd like to bring a couple of our antique rockers, library table and a few other items up from the basement and turn it into a quiet spot to sit quiety to read and reflect---away from the TVs and noise. I'd like it to be my little book nook, if that makes sense.

Wendy, I can totally relate to the DH having noise in every room! Mine does the same thing. Radio on in the garage and basement, TV in the living room is on from the minute he wakes up until he goes to bed...same as TV in the kitchen area. Drives me bonkers. I just want quiet when I get home from work, but he is retired now and has his routines... I often dream about having a she shed out back, but that wouldn't do me much good in -25 degree weather! :wink:

DJ: Hugs to you!

Well, off to bed now. Time to start my next book. I agree with Terry in VT who said earlier that starting a new book is like meeting a new friend. What a great analogy!

Still contemplating on my word will be for 2018...

Tracie in the frozen tundra of WI
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Terry, how about "Love Links" on second thought maybe that sounds more like a dating site, LOL....
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have started a new book. My oldest daughter gave it to my hubby for Christmas. I am sneak reading it whenever he's not around. LOL. It's called "The Lost City of Z" by David Grann. I'm not sure but I think it's a true story, an adventure of searching for ancient ruins in the Amazon jungle. My daughter told me she read lots of reviews trying to find a really interesting book to give her dad. She says she wants to read it too, so then I thought I'd better read it before it leaves the house and disappears...
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Kelly, I would love to meet you while you are in Texas. I am open for any day except Tuesday morning.

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    read all, but need to go to sleep - guests every day till next thursday!!! OMG
  • Machka9
    Options
    Today was a cool, wet, windy day ... waves of rain going over, wheelie bins rolling down the hill we live on ...

So today was laundry, dishes, light housecleaning, making another slow cooker meal, and starting dessert.

Pretty much the only cooking I do is in my slow cooker. Today's was quick and easy ... chicken mince, several veggies, stewed tomatoes, chickpeas, a tiny bit of coconut milk and spices. Served with a bit of pasta. There will be enough for tomorrow too although I might need to add a tin of 3-bean mix to fill it out.

As for dessert ... I'll talk about that in a little while. I've no idea how it will turn out.

And while my dinner was cooking, my husband came home early and was kind enough to drive me out to a neighbouring, relatively flat town where I cycled up and down and back and forth for 20.5 km ... 245 metres of climbing.

Now I must go check the dessert in the oven ...

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've been thinking about gingerbread lately. But not cookies. Today, I found this recipe. I followed it exactly, then spread it into a large rectangular cake pan and popped it into the fridge to "rest" as recommended. Then it went into the oven for about 12 minutes. I iced it with a vanilla and almond icing.

Delicious!!

I might have overdone the icing a bit. I wasn't expecting it to be quite that sweet and rich. It would do well with just whipped cream or maybe a very light icing or a dusting of icing sugar.

And I could have probably left it in for an extra minute or so.

But ... delicious!!

https://www.blessthismessplease.com/soft-gingerbread-cut-out-cookies-2/
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :/