WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    My youngest grandson (10) wrote the letter below. I'm sure he'd be mortified if he knew I shared it with you ladies. Shhhh don't tell...but it's the cutest Dear Santa letter. :)

Janetr OKC

Precious! He sounds like a kid with a good heart. Thanks for sharing, Janet.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    DJ Janet #1 - Thanks for keeping my secret. Brayden is so much like his mom, very intelligent and shy but would bring home any and every stray, animal or human. :)

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :) Snow is melting and no rain yet
    *17,000 steps
    *line dance class
    *192 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *99 minutes riding the exercise bike

For anyone thinking about resolutions for the new month or the new year, here are two book recommendations to help:
    "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin
    "The Four Tendencies" by Gretchen Rubin

The next book I'm waiting to read is "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics" by Dan Harris

:)Lanette, I don't eat meat but I eat some fish and a lot of eggs also a lot of dairy. Whenever I read about plant based eating, I am inspired until I remember how much I love eggs and dairy.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why pork on New Year's Eve? I've never heard of that tradition .... and unless it it spicy pulled pork in a burrito -- ick.

I always heard that this is a German oriented custom. Pork because pigs "root forward" when they eat, showing a desire to move on to the new in the New Year. Usually served with sauerkraut. This was something that my family did as my dad was quite German. My mom and her Swedish background didn't seem to bring any New Year's customs to the family, we had different holidays that we "did Swedish."

Around here it's black-eyed peas and rice. I don't serve it because nobody in my family likes black-eyed peas.

Interesting.

I don't recall my family doing anything special for NYE and yet my grandmothers were German.

My husband and I don't have any food planned for NYE. Just that we'll go to the early fireworks. ☺

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I got my internet back! :)
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka[/b] - thank you as well for your photos and description of your walks. Glad the cherries made it through the windstorm - how are did the other fruits fare? Saag paneer sounds delicious!

I've been researching vegan recipes and working on a plan to incorporate a lot more fruits and green veggies into my diet, cutting back on the dairy and meat/animal protein which I normally don't eat a lot of anyhow except for eggs.

The saag paneer might be an option for you ... it's all veggies with paneer (a cheese that is surprisingly low calorie). You can also make it with tofu, but I prefer paneer.

The recipe I've posted tells you to do just spinach, but I added sweet potato plus a little bit of carrot and cauliflower.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Ladies - new topic here. I need pillow suggestions....

About 4 years ago, we bought a new bed - a European King - and when we were testing mattresses, I laid down on one and had my head on the pillow and was the most comfortable I think I've ever been in a bed. We not only bought the mattresses, but I also bought the pillow! They did give us a discount on the pillow, so it was about a $100 memory foam for us ... about double that normally.

It has been a fabulous pillow, but just lately it has started to flatten a bit. I'm just not quite prepared to pay $200 for another one.

But nevertheless, you might want to visit a mattress shop and see what they've got for pillows and you can actually try them! :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Most of the sheets /towels are clean now. Just one lot to go. Drying them is more of a problem as I don't have a tumbler dryer.

Since I moved to Australia in 2009, I have not had a tumble dryer.

It can be very challenging to dry the sheets and towels, you've really got to pick your day! Yesterday was a great towel drying day -- warm, sunny, with a bit of wind. I'm hoping that tomorrow or Sunday might be a good sheet drying day. If not, I'll have to wait till next weekend to do the sheets.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Well I couldn’t think of just one work for 2018 so I am going with this.

Terry in VT
    ztdp3ptyyto0.jpg

Similar to my husband's quote ... one he has used as a sig line from time to time ...

Dream Dare Do

:)

M in Oz

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Joyce - glad you're going home...

Allie - still keeping you and your dad in my thoughts.

JanetR - LOVED Brayden's letter, and that his first thought was for the puppers...

So many others, but just a moment to write.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in NC