WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    I didn't set any definite goals in January but did very well. Lost a total of 7 pounds in January, so very happy with that.

Feb goals:
    Lose 4 pounds
    Average 4-1/2 cup servings of veggies a day
    Average 2 fruits a day (1/2 cup servings) working up to 3 day
    Walk 5 of 7 days for 40 minutes working up to 3 miles 3/7 days (averaging 2 miles a day now)
    Drink 8-oz of water for every 20 pounds of body weight (per my health coach) so 75.2 oz or 9.5 cups a day.

Machka in OZ
    - I love taking pictures too. My favorite hobby!

KJ - Menopause
    , I found that yes, the monthly mood changes (PMS) continued until my ovaries were completely turned off (gone). At least that is what happened for me.

Started immuno-therapy yesterday and it has triggered my asthma and allergies reactions. Feeling yucky, but it is part of the therapy I was told.
    1. Last week I walked a total of 5 hours.
    2. Averaged 4 veggies a day
    3. Averaged 1.5 fruits a day
    4. Averaged 54.5 oz of water a day (6.8 cups)

RV Rita in Columbus NM

Well done on the 7lb loss! Do you have a goal in mind?
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kelly Yes, my mood swings were still a factor, I'd say for a few years. Now, postmenopausal for 6 years, I really don't notice.

Janet You are inspiring, way to go!

NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    -sleep 7 to 9 hrs a night, no more.

:grin:

If I had a sleep goal it would be ...

-sleep 7 to 9 hrs a night, no less!

Last night I did quite well ... got to bed at 1:30 am and woke at 8:05 am. 6 hours and 35 min! My longest sleep this week so far! :grin:

Despite the fact that I've had at least 6 hours a night Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights this week, I feel like I'm still making up for Sunday night when I went to bed at 2 am and woke at 7 am = 5 hours. I'm not sure why, but I'm finding the 5-hour nights a bit more difficult than I used to.

Ginkgo Biloba + Coffee get me through. Sort of.

M in Oz

I take medicine for an over active bladder, and I think that puts me into such a deep sleep, its hard to get out of. Talking to the doctor tomorrow about it. 5-7 hours in a fair amount of sleep nightly.
    Becca

Hmm ... that's something I've wondered about lately.

I go just before bed, then I'm up twice in the night (twice in 5-6 hours), and even so, the need to sprint to the toilet is one of the things that officially gets me up in the morning. I haven't slept all the way through a night in a long time.

But I'm beginning to wonder if that's a bit overactive.

M

For me it was getting up 5-6 times in a two hour period, before I really settled in to fall asleep. She said I wasn't getting restorative sleep. Definitely not getting into REM sleep until later.
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find my last post. I was telling abut my stupid boo boo I did last night. Ok, it was more in the afternoon. I woke up for the first time yesterday morning and took my first blood pressure pills. Then I went back to sleep. I got up then around 2 PM. I really need to do something to improve my sleep habits and get up earlier. But I didn't want to take all my blood pressure meds when I ate my lunch. So I took them with supper. But when I picked up my pill keeper, I did t notice that it was my bedtime. So I took my Narco and Amien and Clonazepam. Boy was I drunk. I couldn't make a complete sentence, or get out of my recliner. Plus my blood pressure was like 110/60' by the time I went to bed it was a little higher but I didn't take any blood pressure medicine at bedtime. So this morning it was 177/110. Way to high. But Chalrie wake me up at 4 AM just to see if I was alive, luckily I was able to go back to sleep.

Wendy, so glad your daughters doctor was able to keep her ovary intact. That is a good doctor that he has something other than plan A in mind.

It is snowing big flakes but nothing is sticking. We really need to go grocery shopping but I don't want to go out in this cold.

Lisa, congrats on your sale.

Well since nothing is happening here and I have no other thoughts, I will just hang up.

Joyce, indinana
  • cowgirl4063
    cowgirl4063 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello All, I am Tammy from NJ, age 54, I just started with mfp, and garmin, so far so good, I have a question, how do you track your swimming, I do aquatic exercising, which is both cardio and strength in 60 minutes, however my garmin tracks it as steps, any thoughts
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Barbie, you rock! Thanks for the new link and words of wisdom.

Suebdew, doesn’t it feel good to get a great haircut. I always feel so refreshed.

Machka, wish we lived closer as I’d have you help me take pics for my website. You make me exhausted just reading about what you have to do.

Annie, sounds like you have figured out a way to get your exercise in. And it is impressive given the time you have. I agree with you, better than doing none.

Becca, you have a beautiful smile. You can make it to onederland again. Don’t give up.

Pam, welcome to the group. Glad you found us. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Wendy, I’m not surprised that you had a moon storm. It was a full moon, super blood and blue. That’s a lot of things that can affect the universe. Glad all the animals were unhurt.

Sharon, why do bosses feel the need to put others down. If it wasn’t for the cashiers, he wouldn’t have his job. Years ago my DH worked as a dishwasher at a restaurant. His boss said something nasty to him one day about how unimportant his job was so he took out the key to the dishwasher and wouldn’t start washing dishes again until he apologized. Needless to say when the dishes started piling up and the cooks were complaining that there were no clean dishes, the boss found out how important the dishwasher was. He apologized. Sounds like Courtney is going to learn the hard way.

Ann262, welcome back to the group. Like you, I am struggling these days. Keep coming back and hopefully we both can turn a new leaf.

Kelly, sorry you hurt your knee again. WTG on the weight loss. When I first went through menopause I did have the same feelings once a month. Just not as strong. They slowly dissipated over the years. Now I rarely have those feelings.

Heather, good luck with the showing.

((Allie))

Janet, good for you staying on your path and continuing to exercise.

Rye, San Antonio sounds like a good mini trip. Glad DH is feeling better.

KarenUK, .2 is at least going in the right direction.

Rita, WTG on the January weight loss!

Tammy, welcome to the group. I think you will find this group to be a great source of info and encouragement.

1st of February and already I've started out overeating. AUGH! For February I guess my only goal is to get back on track staying within calories and tracking.

Terry in VT
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie, our strong and steady captain!
    Betty
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Terry - Have you figured out why you are sabotaging yourself? <3

Janetr - Congratulations on the loss and getting to grips with the evening eating. I'm still keeping my alcohol chart on the fridge! I'm finding nowadays that I'm not enjoying drinking nearly as much. :o

Lenora - Are you OK?

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Heather, thanks, you are absolutely right, but I lost the first 4 lbs in the first two weeks. I know that's not sustainable, but I am shooting for 1 lb per week. I just need to watch my food intake. I know this, but sometimes, especially when I'm tired, I reach for stuff I know I shouldn't. And it's not stuff that I usually eat either! It's stuff that hubby likes! It is in a cupboard that is difficult for me to get into, being somewhat vertically challenged, but I will drag a chair over! Yesterday was a good day, and today is going well so far.
    Wendy, WOW! Sure glad none of the critters were injured! Those super moons can present some challenges! Sounds like a pretty crazy time in the hospital too!
    Cheryl, North of Chicago, when I saw the photo, all I could see was the beautiful horse! and the beautiful smile on it's rider! How awful it must be to lose a beloved friend, especially when it sounds as though it was through someone else's negligence. {{{HUGS}}}
    Becca, awesome photo, you look great! Congrats on the good report from the dr too!
    Rye, Applesauce is beautiful! Good for you for thinking of our four legged friends and helping them out.
    Someone asked about mood fluctuations after menopause, I started taking soy capsules to ward off the hot flashes and, whether it's because of them or just the calming down of hormones, I definitely do not have the mood fluctuations that I had in my 30's! And thank heavens for that too!!! lol

Okay, goals for Jan were:
    1. lose 6 lbs. I lost 4.4
    2. track, track, track! Well, not so great. But about 50% of the time, so not so bad either.
    3. go to the gym 4-5 days per week. Yes! Usually 5 days, but at least one 4 day week.
    4. Walk at work more. I tried, when I thought of it. Definitely got better near the end of the month!
    5. get more sleep by going to bed earlier. Not so great, went to bed earlier last night, read for a bit, laid there for about 1.5 hours and gave up. got up and played on computer for 1.5 hours (by now it was 2:30 a.m.) Finally fell asleep around 3. Hoping for better tonight!
    6. do breathing exercises. So, I read a book several years ago and the premise was to incorporate these breathing exercises with yoga type poses/stretches. I do enjoy them, and they do help with various "issues" so I wanted to do them again. I did fairly well in Jan, going to try for everyday this month!
    7. no snacking after dinner. Hmmm, probably about 50% on this one too. Again, did better later in the month!
    8. weigh myself only once per week. YES!!

February's goals are the same. Our son and his fiancee are getting married in May, and I have a lovely dress that needs 25-ish lbs less of me in it to look smashing! This is my main goal. Then I hope to be able to maintain. I have been down to where I want to be before, but I got cocky and gained most of it back, so I know that I will need to be more vigilant when I get there this time!
    I know I missed a few people, so: Congrats on all the losses, hugs for those who are dealing with family or health issues (or family with health issues!). And welcome to all the newbies!
    Barbie, thanks so much for this thread, it really is awesome to have people who understand!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Terry - Have you figured out why you are sabotaging yourself? <3

Janetr - Congratulations on the loss and getting to grips with the evening eating. I'm still keeping my alcohol chart on the fridge! I'm finding nowadays that I'm not enjoying drinking nearly as much. :o

Lenora - Are you OK?

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Hooray for us, we can be in control instead of letting it control us.

I too have been thinking of Lenora. <3

Janetr OKC