February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.95 miles - Interval, Core, followed with Sarasota Beach run (virtual)
    Feb 3 - 5.44 miles - Interval, Back & Core, followed with Destin Beach (Florida) run (v)
    Feb 4 - 4.35 miles - Floor Core, Interval & Biceps, followed with Liguria (Italy) run (v)
    Feb 5 - 3.1 miles - Caveman special, Interval, Legz & Core
    Feb 6 - 5.14 miles - 4 mile ÞJÓÐVEGUR run (virtual, followed with Interval, Abs & Lower Back
    Feb 7 - 5.15 miles - Interval & Chest, followed with Maria Aurora, Central Luzon (not to be mistaken with Luton :) ))
    Feb 8 - Triple R day
    Feb 9 - 4.1 miles - 3 mile TM run, followed with Interval & Core
    Feb 10 - 4.5 miles - Caveman special - Interval, Arms Superset & Core - unintentional 1.75mile Japan run
    Feb 11 - 2.1 miles - Caveman special - Interval, Shoulders & Core - should have been rest day
    Feb 12 - 4.4 miles - 3.1 mile Aosta, France run, followed with 1.3 mile Interval & Core
    Feb 13 - 3 miles - Caveman special - Interval, Back & Biceps
    Feb 14 - 3.1 miles - short run (Phnom Penh, Cambodia today), followed with Interval & Core
    Feb 15 - 4.5 miles - Interval, Legzzzzz & Core, followed with lunchtime short foot-pod calibration run
    Feb 16 - 3.2 miles - Interval, Chest & Core
    Feb 17 - 4.1 miles - Increased pace Miami Beach (virtual) run, followed with Interval & Core

exercise.png

@ddmom0811 - I know my american friends love talking about how they love their guns and how many they have got, but how far do things need to go before the decision making people wake up and think about people rather than money. Was wondering how close the shooting was to the school you are teaching.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My body is telling me i need to rest but my brain is saying go get an adjustment and get back out there. lol.
    exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen Looks awesome. A little mud, a little water, lots of fun and adventure. Rather than the leather work gloves the lady had on think about finger less cycle gloves. Protect the palms if you go down but still give you good dexterity for retying shoes, open food packages etc. That's what I use. I get the ones with no mesh-cloth back as they ventilate better and minimal palm pads as you don't need shock absorption just a little protection.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I’ve found my reason for running. It’s because I can.

Right on. :heart:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    here's one for the maths geeks here:

updated formula for marathon prediction

Now I'm SERIOUSLY depressed.....

Heh. If I use R=1.15, and use 1:31 for a half marathon, the formula spits out a marathon time of 2:21 or 2:22. My early half marathons were in the 1:30:high to 1:32:medium range, and my first marathon came in at 2:20:53. Am I average, or what? (Let's not talk about the things that went wrong with subsequent marathons.)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent love the article and it makes me wonder about my strategy for my 10k in March. The course has some serious hills through the first 4 miles. I want to run a sub 45 minutes race which would mean a 7:15 pace.(ambitious but I think I could) I was thinking about setting the virtual pacer for 7:15 and trying not to exceed that pace through those first 4 miles but now I wonder if I should cut that back to 7:25 or 7:30. The last 2.1 is downhill and if I'm feeling good, I bet I can easily make up the time.

Race strategy taking into account the geography of the course is more of an art than a science. I ran my PR 10K at Dedham, Massachusetts in the 2017 USATF Masters 10K/James Joyce Ramble. The course is an out, loop, and back. You go out a mile downhill, through a loop that is flat for over half the distance but has some interesting rolling hills in mile 4, and come back with the last mile uphill. My race plan was adapted from what Coach said he did for his best time on that course: Go out like a bat out of he!! for the first downhill mile, moderate to some more sustainable pace when it levels out, grind through the hills, and hang on as best I can for the end. I ran the first mile in 6:00, and the total 10K in 39:54. It's only time I've broken below 40 minutes for a 10K, and the first time I broke below 41 minutes. Two weeks later, I ran a 40:04 10K on a course that was down, flat, and up using a similar strategy.

I don't think I'd be as successful running the first mile hard in a 10K that was fairly flat all the way through, and I expect I'd do best with a slower start on a 10K that starts uphill. But that's a guess; I haven't run 10Ks on all that many different courses.