February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Overslept but managed to squeeze in a few hills. Steeper inclines than on Tuesday (4 & 5 today). Felt pretty good, although I'm a bit nervous about what Sunday's hills will feel like after a couple miles of relatively flat running. Guess we'll see. Not sure whether I'll do another quick run tomorrow or rest. Will probably depend on my nerves. :grimace:

MTD: 15.89/45
    YTD: 63.49/500
    2/1 - 2.75
    2/6 - 2.0
    2/11 - 5.0
    2/13 - 2.25
    2/14 - 2.14
    2/16 - 1.75

Goals for 2018:
    - Run 500 miles
    - Run a nonstop (no walking) 5K
    - Run/walk my first 10K
    - Run 3+ trail races
    - Run in 3+ states
    Stretch Goal: Run/walk a HM

Races:
    1/27 - Mississippi Blues Marathon 5K - DNS
    2/14 - Luv 2 Run 2.14M virtual - DONE
    2/18 - Q50 Trails Extravaganza 5M (Registered)
    3/3 - Rock'n'Roll Marathon Series 5K in NOLA (Registered)
    3/10 - Hammond Shamrock Run 5K
    3/18 - Shamrockin Run 8K in NOLA
    3/31 - Crescent City Classic 10K
    4/20 - Star Wars Dark Side 5K in WDW (Registered)
    5/12 - Q50 Cinco de Mayo Trail Race 5K
    6/21 - Summer Solstice 6.21M

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    here's one for the maths geeks here:

updated formula for marathon prediction

Now I'm SERIOUSLY depressed.....
    I'm definitely a numbers nerd. The whole article was very interesting. I put in my HM race time from September, and kinda liked the marathon prediction it gave me, because I actually beat it by 8 minutes in January. So then I put in my best HM time from a training run prior to my first marathon last year, and it overestimated that marathon time by 29 minutes. Made me feel much better than the other calculators, which predict much faster marathon times than I've actually done. So don't get too depressed - this formula may or may not be accurate, either. Everyone is so different. But it might help give you a more realistic goal to aim for.

Also keep in mind, he studied people who had completed at least 5 HMs and 5 marathons. I'm not in that category (yet). Will be fun to hear from some of you who are, though, as to how closely it predicts your time.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent love the article and it makes me wonder about my strategy for my 10k in March. The course has some serious hills through the first 4 miles. I want to run a sub 45 minutes race which would mean a 7:15 pace.(ambitious but I think I could) I was thinking about setting the virtual pacer for 7:15 and trying not to exceed that pace through those first 4 miles but now I wonder if I should cut that back to 7:25 or 7:30. The last 2.1 is downhill and if I'm feeling good, I bet I can easily make up the time.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @garygse thanks! - Do you have access a treadmill to get some miles in while you're on call or is that not even an option?
    @juliet3455 I don't know if I have a Jason. I did in high school, a good friend named Greg. He was always getting me to do more than I wanted to do (which usually resulted is us getting in trouble) but in the end I was glad I did. We haven't hung out much since high school and I really have had that person since then.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent love the article and it makes me wonder about my strategy for my 10k in March. The course has some serious hills through the first 4 miles. I want to run a sub 45 minutes race which would mean a 7:15 pace.(ambitious but I think I could) I was thinking about setting the virtual pacer for 7:15 and trying not to exceed that pace through those first 4 miles but now I wonder if I should cut that back to 7:25 or 7:30. The last 2.1 is downhill and if I'm feeling good, I bet I can easily make up the time.

I definitely would suggest the 7:30/25 plan. With 2 miles of downhill you might be able to push 7:00 in the last stretch, but you will likely struggle on the hills in the beginning.

IMO, YMMV, and all that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7 If I wasn't detrained at the moment, I was considering doing PsychoWyco since it is only about 2-3 hrs. from where I live. But it also happens to be when my company is doing our annual inventory, so I'm going to be at work regardless. Maybe next year won't coincide with that end of Feb. / beginning of Mar. work ultra-marathon and I'll be in condition to do a running ultra-marathon.

Anyway, I'm jealous but will hopefully get my own chance someday.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Link2Life we'll plan on seeing you at Zumbro next year!
    @midwesterner85 I hope to see you at Pyscho Wyco next year!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - loved the video! Thanks for sharing it!
    @juliet3455 - My Jason would be my friend Pilar. She helped me when I first started running and signed me up for my first HM, then told me she had. Essentially saying that if I could run a 10 mile training run I could run a HM. She ran with me and paced and encouraged me the entire way. She doesn't live super close so we never really got to train together but we did run several more races. She tore both ACLs (at different times in non-running activities) and hasn't come back to running, preferring to concentrate on CrossFit for now. I have bugged her a few times about running again and trying to tempt her with some races. I am still hoping she will get back to it one of these days.