site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options
check my diary...some days I dont log because its pretty much the same things I eat every day...it tells me to eat like 2900 cals...I eat 1500 to 1800 and still dont loose..these numbers are crazy

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    ,???? I run 6 to 8 miles a day every day...and on the days I dont run I do weights and bike 20 or more miles at a fast 19mph pace...why would I set it to sedentary ??????????
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I suspect that you have your activity level set too high, you probably don't need 3k calories. That being said, your calorie intake inputs look pretty low on some of your things. I would try to be a bit more accurate. Nobody eats 18 calories of mozzarella cheese. If you are not weighing and being precise (measuring cups are not accurate for food, nor are tablespoons) you are consuming more than you think.

Here's a video to explain it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Good luck
  • cvcman
    Options
    And I do this 7 days a week and have NOT missed a day for over 4 yrs...so I need to lie to the site to get better numbers.....
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    On the offhand, I'd say you're eating more than you think. You have alot of cup measurements in your diary and generic stuff. Try weighing your food on a scale for a more accurate count. Especially things like the nuts and cheeses, meats, etc. Also, is the corn on the cob and Proscuitto (for example) your own recipes or just randomly picked from the database? Do you really only have a tablespoon of oatmeal for breakfast?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to what's up with the shot glass of oatmeal you eat for breakfast... and the pretzels. I saw what appeared to be the same pretzel, but logged under a few odd names. Are these precise, or are you just picking the first database entry? If you're well-conditioned, you may not be burning as many calories running as you used to when you first started out, but methinks you're just eating too much.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    ,???? I run 6 to 8 miles a day every day...and on the days I dont run I do weights and bike 20 or more miles at a fast 19mph pace...why would I set it to sedentary ??????????

Because MFP activity level is what you do for majority of the day, then you log your exercise separately. If you ride a desk all day but go hard in the gym, your setting is still sedentary. The only reason to not make it so is if you'll claim a higher activity level in your setup and NOT log or eat back exercise calories. If you claim to be Very active when you ride a desk, and log and eat back your exercise calories, you're double dipping and may not see a calorie deficit as a result.

A lot of people prefer TDEE method since you eat a flat amount everyday whether you exercise or not - but with this you do NOT eat back extra exercise calories. Which method are you setup to do?

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I

I have mine set to sedentary. I do an hours worth of running (7.5 miles) or an hour of stepmill or cardio in the gym. I then have to take my dogs for a 3-5 mile walk after thay EACH DAY. My job is sedentary. I log my exercise SEPERATELY. SOOO... That's why I'm losing. This is why you are not.
  • cvcman
    Options
    humm where to start>>>I DO only eat a tablespoon of oatmeal just to have something in my gut before running...the cheese I put on my salad IS what I log...just a sprinkle>> I work a regular job NOT a desk job...and the pretzles..I DO have three different kinds I eat...so YES my logging IS accurate
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So I checked your diary and this is what stuck out to me:
    Your logging your exercise and taking your exercise into account with your activity level.
    Either:
    A) Don't log your exercise
    or
    B ) Lower your activity level to what your day is like before exercise
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    humm where to start>>>I DO only eat a tablespoon of oatmeal just to have something in my gut before running...the cheese I put on my salad IS what I log...just a sprinkle>> I work a regular job NOT a desk job...and the pretzles..I DO have three different kinds I eat...so YES my logging IS accurate

A desk job is a regular job. Are you saying you're on your feet for most of the day? What activity level have you chosen?

I think some examples given by the tool:

Sedentary: desk
    Lightly active: on your feet most of the day, example teacher
    Active: on feet and working with hands most of the day - mail carrier
    very active: strenuous - bike messenger, carpenter, construction worker
  • cvcman
    Options
    again..LOOK at my diary...im leaving lots of uneaten cals so even i I set my activity level level lower it wouldnt matter....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    again..LOOK at my diary...im leaving lots of uneaten cals so even i I set my activity level level lower it wouldnt matter....

Fine. If a progressive conversation where you spend two seconds answering a simple question irritates you, we'll go to the basics: do you use a food scale? Barring any medical issues if you're not losing weight long term, you're not in a deficit. You were the one asking why it mattered if your account was sedentary, remember??

These posters covered the logging accurately topic really comprehensively:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • cvcman
    Options
    ok I chgd it to sed...it still says with my exercise over 2k's a day...im NOT eating that much
  • cvcman
    Options
    im on my feet almost ALL day...lots of walking and carrying boxes etc
  • cvcman
    Options
    and janie...im NOT irratated
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Just glancing at your diary, you're not eating nearly enough protein for the amount of exercise you do. I'm a female and almost 10 years older who swims and lifts weights five days a week and I eat at least 120 to 140 grams a day. That's one place you could tweak your nutrition. Also, it looks like you've reached your goal anyway so you could probably eat more than you are now and really fuel those workouts!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale? Your diary doesn't indicate you are. Therefor it isn't as accurate as you think. Since you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit... which brings us back to accuracy and eating more than you think.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

You eat one tablespoon of cooked oatmeal? Or you cook one tablespoon of oatmeal and then eat that? There's a vast difference in the two (both in reasonableness and in calories). You are logging the after cooking weight. That's an oz of outmeal when you "splurge" and have two whole tablespoons. You're calling that 18 calories.

If you instead are truly eating an oz of uncooked oatmeal that has been cooked, you're getting 120 calories. Which is a reasonable amount to consume. That's almost 7 times as many calories as you logged.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I also wear a Garmin when biking and running and a hr monitor,,,it shows cals burned..I understand its not 100 % accurate but its pretty close
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Let's try this. Height/Weight please?