site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    im on my feet almost ALL day...lots of walking and carrying boxes etc

Definitely not sedentary! I can only then think it's the calories in portion. The links will explain a ton. Liquid calories, splurge days, vacations - we may not log them all but the body has a very accurate memory. If you try things out for a couple months very accurately and you don't learn of what could be the sources of excess calories or see any improvement, then it may be time to review all this with your doctor

Also once you get your calories squared away I don't think an active person like you should be eating in the 1300's, but that has nothing to do with weight loss and just overall health of properly fueling your day. But if I'm right, you're not consuming that little right now though
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    and janie...im NOT irratated

My apologies for misinterpreting you! The interwebs win the day again :smiley:

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    well...I eat 1 tablespoon dry...mixed with water ONLY and microwaved....and that just what I log...I NEVER drink soda...
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've not looked at your diary, but might you be over exercising as compared to the amount of food you eat? Some folks can't lose because they do not have enough of a deficit. Some folks can't lose because they have too large a deficit?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height and weight?
  • cvcman
    Options
    frob...EXPLAIN the VAST difference in 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and adding NO calorie water to that same 1 tablespoon...how does the water only make a VAST diff ???
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    either you have a thyroid problem or something similar or you're eating more than you think/ burning less. period. there is no third option. it's biology and it applies to all humans and animals that don't have a health issue. 95% or more of the people here and elsewhere who say "why am i not losing weight?" are eating more or burning less than they believe.

in your diary, i see "Corn on the Cob - With Butter, 1 large ear" as 155 calories, but that would depend on how much better and what size ear you're eating. it could easily be double the calories. i also see grilled salmon - are you grilling it with oil of any sort? if so, you aren't listing the oil but oil has lots of calories. regarding your mozzarella cheese, there's no way to accurately measure 0.025 of a cup - you need to weigh it and find the listing for the cheese in grams, not by the cup. weigh everything that can be weighed, and before you choose a random listing for each food on MFP, make sure it lists the item by weight and according to the manufacturer calories - many listings here are very wrong.

btw, a literal tablespoon of cooked oatmeal, which would weigh 15 grams, would have so few calories as to have no point to bother to eat. 20 grams of dry oats is 75 calories, but that's not counting liquids. 2 heaping tablespoons of oatmeal could easily be 4 to 6 actual tablespoons unless you use a measuring spoon and make sure the oatmeal is level with the top of the spoon and no more.
  • cvcman
    Options
    male 5'8" maybe 5'7" tall weight about 140
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    well...I eat 1 tablespoon dry...mixed with water ONLY and microwaved....and that just what I log...I NEVER drink soda...
    Hmm...my oatmeal says 40g dry is a serving.
    I just weighed out one table spoon and got 6g. 6g is roughly 23 calories. So 1 tbsp dry oatmeal is I would say between 20-25 calories.
    So your 2 tbsp of oat meal would be roughly 40 - 50 calories.

• cvcman
    Options
    I spray the salmon with zero cal Pam...the corn has VERY lite butter as I dont really like butter...its a medium size ear...the cheese IS low moisture park skim and its a dusting...wouldnt even fill a 1/2 teaspoon...and again....the oatmeal I eat IS 1 tablespoon measured !
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Wow. You weigh less than me and the site tells you to eat 3k calories? This is awesome!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Then your TDEE is approximately 2747. So yes, if it said you should eat 3K it was wrong.

Now my question is why are you trying to lose more and how much more? Because you're at the middle of a 5'7" man with a small frame and at the very bottom of a 5'8" man with a small frame.
  • cvcman
    Options
    if I take 1 tablespoon of DRY oatmeal...add a little water...put it in the microwave how is that any more cals then if I just ate the 1 tablespoon of dry oatmeal ??? Water has zero cals
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I spray the salmon with zero cal Pam...the corn has VERY lite butter as I dont really like butter...its a medium size ear...the cheese IS low moisture park skim and its a dusting...wouldnt even fill a 1/2 teaspoon...and again....the oatmeal I eat IS 1 tablespoon measured !

1/2 a teaspoon isn't even worth putting on anything. You wouldn't even be able to taste it.
  • spatty_harris
    spatty_harris Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is pretty high, so you might be retaining water. Aside from that, your protein is LOW. Maybe try getting more calories form protein and less from carbs, especially if you are working out as hard as you say you are.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    frob...EXPLAIN the VAST difference in 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and adding NO calorie water to that same 1 tablespoon...how does the water only make a VAST diff ???

Because water expands the oatmeal.
    There are more calories in one tablespoon of DRY oatmeal than there is in 1 tablespoon of cooked oatmeal. Because 1 tablespoon dry expands to about 3 tablespoons cooked.

Make sense? You weren't understanding the question they were asking about if you measure wet vs dry.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

One tablespoon of dry uncooked oatmeal is about 14g of oatmeal. When you add water, you end up with about 7 tablespoons of finished product. That's 60 calories for a dry TBS... spread over almost 7 TBS of cooked oatmeal (about 9 calories each).

To end up with a TBS of cooked oatmeal, you'd have to cook less than half a teaspoon (2.1g) of dry oatmeal with water. That would give you one cooked TBS of 9 calories.

The difference is the volume the same amount of calories takes up. Oatmeal, in case you didn't notice, expands when cooked. The same amount of calories takes up a lot more space. You're logging the cooked version, with the dry volume. You're massively under-estimating your calories. And that's just one food.

Your problem is bad logging. You need to log correctly before you claim you eat eating at a deficit and it's not working.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I dont eat 2 tblspoons...I eat 1...today I had 2 because my wfe mixed another 1 in my bean burger...I hope we realize that adding 5 or 10 cals here and there is NOT going to make up the 1000 or more the site says im under everyday
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    if I take 1 tablespoon of DRY oatmeal...add a little water...put it in the microwave how is that any more cals then if I just ate the 1 tablespoon of dry oatmeal ??? Water has zero cals

40 grams dry oatmeal is 150 calories
    6 grams (which is what my 1 tbsp scoop measured dry) would be around 23 calories dry
    Now your 1 tbsp could weigh slightly more or less than mine. So I would say the range for 1tbsp is 20-25 calories.

So even if you make 6 grams with water, your still consuming 20-25 calories. If you make 2 tbsp of dry oatmeal, then it's more like 40-50 calories.
  • cvcman
    Options
    im not trying to loose more BUT the way I workout and eat it would seem I would loose more