J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Navtendon wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I eat 4000+ cals of nutrient dense clean food on an every day basis.

Open your diary so we can see...

Right!!! Because if I was a food-logger and you could all see, you would all jump on the paleo/primal bandwagon right??? Ya.

Sorry, I really don't care about convincing the masses on this forum with blinders on.

I get plenty of private messages asking me to elaborate based on my posts. Which is exactly what I want - because my time and energy is much better spent educating those who are willing to listen rather than cover their ears.

Well I consider myself a open minded person without blinders on. I for one would love to see what a person who eats 4000+ cals a day with mass amounts of vitality and lean muscle growth looks like. Also what harm is there sharing your diary as it could inspire others.

Is there really any point in denying some sort of evidence your way of eating is beneficial to the masses, it almost seems elitist of you to not share something that has worked for you so well.

There are knee jerk reactions on the forums to extraordinary claims about particular dietary preferences because often they are rarely if ever backed up with any evidence beyond the initial claim.

Do you see my point? I am not being derogatory, I have a genuine interest not only in the benefits you have obtained and what you ate to obtain them but why would you be so vested in the premise of keeping it a secret.

Share the wealth of health as it were.

FINALLY!!!!! Thanks for a mature response!! Regardless of whatever view you have, I respect the way you addressed my post. I keep resorting to more and more juvenile posts to "speak the same language" in order to get the message out there. I've just tried to resort to "whatever works".

I actually have tried to share the wealth as you say in previous posts. But it doesn't matter how credible or tangible things are, people will blurt out some invalid "debunking" comment, or throw up garbage "evidence against evidence" Alan Aragon links based on terrible premises and the whole thread will follow suit.

So, I kept changing accounts to modify online persona to speak the same language, as an experiment to see if I could share the wealth successfully based on different types of posts. Nope.

But, all the while, my posts did result in private messages from serious people who wanted to learn about it, and that way I can pass on valuable info without distraction. So my conscience is clear that I did make some sort of difference.

It's seriously no big secret and nothing extraordinary. Primal/paleo is everywhere in the journals, bookstores and online. It's practically mainstream, and there are way too many people who have had astounding weight loss and health transformation results for it to be thought of as some closely guarded nuclear secret. I'm just trying to direct people to it if they haven't heard of it. The materials speak for themselves. It only sounds extraordinary to people on this forum because it is such a paradigm shift from conventional wisdom. Unfortunately, conventional disease is just as popular.

It's really not extraordinary at all. No magic pill. You just go about your day enjoying life outside of exposing yourself to the last 60 years of conventional wisdom. Real food. Low glycemic. Occasional short heavy lifting sessions and refraining from sitting all day.

I won't post long lists of evidence for the reasons stated above, but since you asked politely, I can give you one resource that I follow - The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, along with his website Mark's Daily Apple. That's more than enough to get anyone started, and should lead to more than enough links towards evidence. There are plenty of people who don't like this source. Ok fine. They don't have to look it up.

In terms of seeing what I look like? No. I make it a point to put as little personal info as possible on the internet. If you're curious and have an open mind as you say, try it for yourself and be your own before and after picture (assuming you haven't achieved your goals already).

What a surprise... all that typing and you still have said nothing. Your only source is Mark Sisson's, the Primal Blueprint and Mark's Daily Apple. Not even Mark Sisson eats 4000+ calories per day, and he is a former world class athlete.

Firstly, if you knew what direction is up, you would know that that single resource is gold and worth more than a large list of things. You follow that, you're taken care of.

Secondly, the point isn't to eat 4000+ calories. I'm sure he doesn't eat that much. Who cares. The point is a paradigm shift in that when you select the correct foods, calorie consumption becomes a lot less relevant to health and weight loss.

But since you're stuck in the CICO paradigm, of course it would seem I said "nothing".

Firstly, the point is that you claim you do. Paradigm shift or not, you can not defy the laws of human physiology.

Secondly, you assume that I am stuck in the CICO paradigm. I have read his book and was paleo for three years. Lost and gained fat doing it. There is nothing magical about it. Went back to CICO because it is based in reality, not fantasy.

Thirdly, I know which direction is up. Insulting me does nothing to back up your wild claims...

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    jwhited71 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I'll take "pics or it didn't happen" for $200, Alex.

Oh. I guess it didn't happen. False alarm. OK everybody go back to burying your heads in the sand.

Admitting the truth is the first step, you're on your way!

I'm actually a closet obese blogger with several athersclerotic risk factors and several chronic autoimmune diseases who never comes out of my basement and loves to eat all sorts of junk food in moderation within my daily calorie limits because I can't stand the thought of anyone telling me that I have to restrict something because this is America and we have the right to everything they put on a grocery store shelf regardless if it goes against all common sense.

Ah. I'm letting it all out now. Thanks kgeyser! So liberating!!!!

Well this I could almost believe baby steps you're getting there

Of course it's believable. I just blended in with this forum. Just like putting on army camouflage.

No you still haven't blended because those that have been successful can back up their claims and offer realistic advice. Hell you're about my age I would love to hear how I could eat 4000 calories a day and reach my goals share this wisdom with us common folk

Ok. I just replied on a long post to someone else so there may be something helpful there for you. Dunno if that helps.

My advise doesn't sound realistic because it's virtually the opposite of what is preached on this forum.

And I certainly am not saying that people on this forum don't have results. Some people have unbelievably astounding weight loss results and have more muscle than a whole village.

I'm approaching things from a health standpoint with weight loss and muscle mass as a nice side effect.

I don't need to back up my claims - I didn't invent the paleo/primal diet or lifestyle. They are not my claims. If it doesn't grab you when you read about it, then it just won't grab you.

I read your long post, and no not really helpful at all. What's the opposite? only that most say after your nutritional needs are met enjoy you ice cream and cookies? Maybe if you lost your elitist attitude and actually looked at the people you are arguing with (all of them have open diaries and pictures) and you will see lean proteins, veggies, fruits, and all kinds of other things.

Now I find this very funny you say you do this from a health standpoint, well that's why I started this 22 months ago. 14 prescriptions, getting ready to be put on 24/7 oxygen, couldn't do 30 seconds of a 6 minute pulmonary function test. Now I can bike 50+ miles a day, I can run 6 miles oh and down to 4 prescriptions. All of that was achieved eating a flexible diet that included a nightly dessert.

Unlike you I can and do share my diary, my pictures and I'll even share my blood work, so those that are looking for help can see it is possible it's not me just blowing smoke up their a**
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    My advise doesn't sound realistic because it's virtually the opposite of what is preached on this forum.

No, it does not sound realistic because it defies the laws of human physiology...

The limits (or even the accuracy) of human physiology is calories in calories out. That is the assumption on this forum.

Of course, nobody knows that skinny string bean who eats his face off and doesn't move and never puts on a pound. Is that seriously explained by calories in calories out? Individual variability in metabolism (both via genotype and phenotype) is very large. The right diet and even exercise can leverage metabolism.

Calories in calories out alone allows you to have anything you want. I hand you something, call it food, make it taste good, and yes you can eat it. In moderation. lol. People here need evidence to tell them that doesn't sound too smart?
  • J72FIT
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Individual variability in metabolism (both via genotype and phenotype) is very large. The right diet and even exercise can leverage metabolism.

You do not eat 4000+ calories per day and maintain weight, individual variability or not. You do not eat more then a former world class athlete. Please stop and save yourself further embarrassment.

Is this steve 098? Got tired of being a 62 year old faceless male peddling Guyton's book and decided to become a 48 year old faceless female peddling Sisson's book?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

No, it does not sound realistic because it defies the laws of human physiology...

The limits (or even the accuracy) of human physiology is calories in calories out. That is the assumption on this forum.

Of course, nobody knows that skinny string bean who eats his face off and doesn't move and never puts on a pound. Is that seriously explained by calories in calories out? Individual variability in metabolism (both via genotype and phenotype) is very large. The right diet and even exercise can leverage metabolism.

Calories in calories out alone allows you to have anything you want. I hand you something, call it food, make it taste good, and yes you can eat it. In moderation. lol. People here need evidence to tell them that doesn't sound too smart?
    I was that skinny string bean. When I started tracking calories (back in 1995) I realized I was eating less than 2000 cals a day despite stuffing my face all day long. I was basically eating all protein because I was scared of fat and was obsessed with eating "clean" like the bodybuilding magazines preached back then

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Someone tag me if we get any actual science in this thread.

Exhibit B. Sorry. Buddy beat you to it.

Actually, I haven't seen you post any links to actual science. Nor am I male, which I would expect a physician to be able to discern.

But since you opened the door by stating that you are a medical doctor and have been giving advice to people in that capacity, please provide us with information so we can verify your credentials.
  • Navtendon
    Options

Oh. I guess it didn't happen. False alarm. OK everybody go back to burying your heads in the sand.

I'm actually a closet obese blogger with several athersclerotic risk factors and several chronic autoimmune diseases who never comes out of my basement and loves to eat all sorts of junk food in moderation within my daily calorie limits because I can't stand the thought of anyone telling me that I have to restrict something because this is America and we have the right to everything they put on a grocery store shelf regardless if it goes against all common sense.

Of course it's believable. I just blended in with this forum. Just like putting on army camouflage.

No you still haven't blended because those that have been successful can back up their claims and offer realistic advice. Hell you're about my age I would love to hear how I could eat 4000 calories a day and reach my goals share this wisdom with us common folk

Ok. I just replied on a long post to someone else so there may be something helpful there for you. Dunno if that helps.

And I certainly am not saying that people on this forum don't have results. Some people have unbelievably astounding weight loss results and have more muscle than a whole village.

I'm approaching things from a health standpoint with weight loss and muscle mass as a nice side effect.

I don't need to back up my claims - I didn't invent the paleo/primal diet or lifestyle. They are not my claims. If it doesn't grab you when you read about it, then it just won't grab you.

I read your long post, and no not really helpful at all. What's the opposite? only that most say after your nutritional needs are met enjoy you ice cream and cookies? Maybe if you lost your elitist attitude and actually looked at the people you are arguing with (all of them have open diaries and pictures) and you will see lean proteins, veggies, fruits, and all kinds of other things.

Now I find this very funny you say you do this from a health standpoint, well that's why I started this 22 months ago. 14 prescriptions, getting ready to be put on 24/7 oxygen, couldn't do 30 seconds of a 6 minute pulmonary function test. Now I can bike 50+ miles a day, I can run 6 miles oh and down to 4 prescriptions. All of that was achieved eating a flexible diet that included a nightly dessert.

Unlike you I can and do share my diary, my pictures and I'll even share my blood work, so those that are looking for help can see it is possible it's not me just blowing smoke up their a**

Differences aside. Honestly. Your health gains. That's awesome. I mean that. Congrats. Wicked story.

Elitist? bc I don't elaborate? When you elaborate against the grain (no pun intended) it's not too productive. I only did the long post for the one guy b/c of the way he handled things.

Why don't I share my info? Privacy is one. The other reason???? People come up to ME in person all the time and say, what the hell, you have lost all that weight and are jacked!!! in a matter of months!! and you keep maintaining it!!! HOW DO YOU DO IT????

THEY ask ME.

I tell them.

They go - nah, you're lying. It's just calories in calories out. It's gotta be. Or you have a tumor.

Seriously.

Let me ask you. If this was your experience, would you bother with sharing details of your personal real life evidence????

That being said, there are a few people who have benefitted from me in my personal life and online. All of them had an open mind and were willing to see the big picture regarding health.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Differences aside. Honestly. Your health gains. That's awesome. I mean that. Congrats. Wicked story.

Elitist? bc I don't elaborate? When you elaborate against the grain (no pun intended) it's not too productive. I only did the long post for the one guy b/c of the way he handled things.

Why don't I share my info? Privacy is one. The other reason???? People come up to ME in person all the time and say, what the hell, you have lost all that weight and are jacked!!! in a matter of months!! and you keep maintaining it!!! HOW DO YOU DO IT????

THEY ask ME.

I tell them.

They go - nah, you're lying. It's just calories in calories out. It's gotta be. Or you have a tumor.

Seriously.

Let me ask you. If this was your experience, would you bother with sharing details of your personal real life evidence????

That being said, there are a few people who have benefitted from me in my personal life and online. All of them had an open mind and were willing to see the big picture regarding health.

mhm.

So, anecdotal?
  • Navtendon
    Options
    I eat 4000+ cals of nutrient dense clean food on an every day basis.

Open your diary so we can see...

Right!!! Because if I was a food-logger and you could all see, you would all jump on the paleo/primal bandwagon right??? Ya.

Sorry, I really don't care about convincing the masses on this forum with blinders on.

I get plenty of private messages asking me to elaborate based on my posts. Which is exactly what I want - because my time and energy is much better spent educating those who are willing to listen rather than cover their ears.

Well I consider myself a open minded person without blinders on. I for one would love to see what a person who eats 4000+ cals a day with mass amounts of vitality and lean muscle growth looks like. Also what harm is there sharing your diary as it could inspire others.

Is there really any point in denying some sort of evidence your way of eating is beneficial to the masses, it almost seems elitist of you to not share something that has worked for you so well.

There are knee jerk reactions on the forums to extraordinary claims about particular dietary preferences because often they are rarely if ever backed up with any evidence beyond the initial claim.

Do you see my point? I am not being derogatory, I have a genuine interest not only in the benefits you have obtained and what you ate to obtain them but why would you be so vested in the premise of keeping it a secret.

Share the wealth of health as it were.

FINALLY!!!!! Thanks for a mature response!! Regardless of whatever view you have, I respect the way you addressed my post. I keep resorting to more and more juvenile posts to "speak the same language" in order to get the message out there. I've just tried to resort to "whatever works".

I actually have tried to share the wealth as you say in previous posts. But it doesn't matter how credible or tangible things are, people will blurt out some invalid "debunking" comment, or throw up garbage "evidence against evidence" Alan Aragon links based on terrible premises and the whole thread will follow suit.

So, I kept changing accounts to modify online persona to speak the same language, as an experiment to see if I could share the wealth successfully based on different types of posts. Nope.

But, all the while, my posts did result in private messages from serious people who wanted to learn about it, and that way I can pass on valuable info without distraction. So my conscience is clear that I did make some sort of difference.

It's seriously no big secret and nothing extraordinary. Primal/paleo is everywhere in the journals, bookstores and online. It's practically mainstream, and there are way too many people who have had astounding weight loss and health transformation results for it to be thought of as some closely guarded nuclear secret. I'm just trying to direct people to it if they haven't heard of it. The materials speak for themselves. It only sounds extraordinary to people on this forum because it is such a paradigm shift from conventional wisdom. Unfortunately, conventional disease is just as popular.

It's really not extraordinary at all. No magic pill. You just go about your day enjoying life outside of exposing yourself to the last 60 years of conventional wisdom. Real food. Low glycemic. Occasional short heavy lifting sessions and refraining from sitting all day.

I won't post long lists of evidence for the reasons stated above, but since you asked politely, I can give you one resource that I follow - The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, along with his website Mark's Daily Apple. That's more than enough to get anyone started, and should lead to more than enough links towards evidence. There are plenty of people who don't like this source. Ok fine. They don't have to look it up.

In terms of seeing what I look like? No. I make it a point to put as little personal info as possible on the internet. If you're curious and have an open mind as you say, try it for yourself and be your own before and after picture (assuming you haven't achieved your goals already).

What a surprise... all that typing and you still have said nothing. Your only source is Mark Sisson's, the Primal Blueprint and Mark's Daily Apple. Not even Mark Sisson eats 4000+ calories per day, and he is a former world class athlete.

Firstly, if you knew what direction is up, you would know that that single resource is gold and worth more than a large list of things. You follow that, you're taken care of.

Secondly, the point isn't to eat 4000+ calories. I'm sure he doesn't eat that much. Who cares. The point is a paradigm shift in that when you select the correct foods, calorie consumption becomes a lot less relevant to health and weight loss.

But since you're stuck in the CICO paradigm, of course it would seem I said "nothing".

Firstly, the point is that you claim you do. Paradigm shift or not, you can not defy the laws of human physiology.

Secondly, you assume that I am stuck in the CICO paradigm. I have read his book and was paleo for three years. Lost and gained fat doing it. There is nothing magical about it. Went back to CICO because it is based in reality, not fantasy.

Thirdly, I know which direction is up. Insulting me does nothing to back up your wild claims...

Awesome that you at least gave it a try and read about it!!!!! Apologies for assuming that you didn't. My mistake. Was just going by the pattern of typical responses. Didn't mean to insult. But I fight fire with fire. So if I sense attitude, better believe I'm dishing it.

You can certainly gain weight from paleo/primal, no question. depends on anabolic response to certain exercises for sure. As well, degree of separation of carbs and fats can also play a factor, in addition to inherent metabolic disposition. I just advocate for it because it is a common sense way of eating that can have weight loss effects providing all the variables are understood.
  • Navtendon
    Options

Link to science?

Exhibit C. This better not keep going. I only have 26 letters here.....
  • J72FIT
    Options
    People come up to ME in person all the time and say, what the hell, you have lost all that weight and are jacked!!! in a matter of months!! and you keep maintaining it!!! HOW DO YOU DO IT????

Elaborate. How much fat did you lose? How much muscle did you gain? What does your training look like? How did you measure your progress? The only info you have shared is
    4000+ calories per day... which I still don't believe.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So let me get this straight Navtendon.
    You are a 48 year old "jacked" female medical doctor (not a naturopath) with a lively current practice who eats 4000 kcals per day and thinks wheat is "crap", ie. touts the paleo style of diet?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

THEY ask ME.

I tell them.

Seriously.

Thanks

Nah with 119 lbs lost no one has even noticed I lost... well my pulmonologist who asked if I had weight loss surgery without telling him. So maybe 1 or 2 people have noticed. But I share my personal real life experience cause it might help 1 person that was in the position I was.

And luckily for myself I don't take things blindly without researching them, but others would hear your I eat 4000 calories a day and maintain and they would try it and gain weight and ultimately give up.

Instead I share that hey I'm not perfect, I never will be, I eat all the foods I enjoy but try to stay within 1500-2000 calories and as long as I do that more often than not, I see success. What you choose to eat is your choice, but overeating is where the problem is.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You are a 48 year old "jacked" female medical doctor (not a naturopath) with a lively current practice who eats 4000 kcals per day and thinks wheat is "crap", ie. touts the paleo style of diet?
    And apparently hasn't read metabolic ward studies that prove CICO over and over again.
  • Navtendon
    Options

THEY ask ME.

I tell them.

Seriously.

mhm.

So, anecdotal?

Yes, when one is referring to personal information and replying to an inquiry about said information, that is in reference to anecdotes by definition yes. But good try at using the typical debunking buzzword to devalidate the whole argument.
  • J72FIT
    Options

THEY ask ME.

I tell them.

Seriously.

mhm.

So, anecdotal?

Yes, when one is referring to personal information and replying to an inquiry about said information, that is in reference to anecdotes by definition yes. But good try at using the typical debunking buzzword to devalidate the whole argument.

You killed your own argument when you claimed to eat more then a former world class athlete and maintain...
  • Navtendon
    Options

After reading my previous post about protecting privacy, do you honestly think I'm female or that I'm 48?

But yes, the rest of your sentence is correct.

I actually don't care so much about supporting paleo as I do about getting rid of junk in diets. I just happen to be paleo/primal and was using myself as an example of calories in calories out not telling the whole story.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

THEY ask ME.

I tell them.

Seriously.

mhm.

So, anecdotal?

You've already devalidated your own argument based upon the above few comments.
  • J72FIT
    Options

After reading my previous post about protecting privacy, do you honestly think I'm female or that I'm 48?

But yes, the rest of your sentence is correct.

I actually don't care so much about supporting paleo as I do about getting rid of junk in diets. I just happen to be paleo/primal and was using myself as an example of calories in calories out not telling the whole story.

This just keeps getting better and better...
  • Navtendon
    Options

Actually, I haven't seen you post any links to actual science. Nor am I male, which I would expect a physician to be able to discern.

But since you opened the door by stating that you are a medical doctor and have been giving advice to people in that capacity, please provide us with information so we can verify your credentials.

By Buddy I meant the guy who was exhibit A. He beat you to that coveted title.

Opened what door? The door that actually cares whether you think I'm a medical doctor or not? Let me think about that one......... no.