When I eat 1200 cals I put on weight

Options
Hello
First time poster so sorry. I have tried the mfp for ages now, was under a different name but lost log in details when switching phones. If I eat 1200 cals I put on weight about 1-2kg per week. Eating under, 500ish varies day to day I am only maintaining weight. I'm so frustrated. I want to eat healthy but it seems so pointless when I'm actually getting fatter! Please note that due to health reasons I am unable to exercise. I log everything I eat, mostly by the barcode on mfp and weight out food. Anyone shred any light on this please, I feel so low about it all.

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Are you measuring and weighing your food and taking into account that drinks besides water and diet sodas have calories?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but unless you are under 5 feet tall or have a medical issue, there is no way you are gaining on 1200 calories. Double check your logging. Weigh everything. Count condiments, cooking oils and drinks.
  • TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I log all my teas and other drinks, I don't log my water as I like fresh water so tend to sip a bit, and empty the glass then refill with fresh the next time I drink. I know I do drink a enough water as I will get a get a head ache if I under drink.-have done for years so nothing new there
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you're logging everything and weighing all of your food but gaining at that amount of calories, you should probably go see a doctor.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I log all my teas and other drinks, I don't log my water as I like fresh water so tend to sip a bit, and empty the glass then refill with fresh the next time I drink. I know I do drink a enough water as I will get a get a head ache if I under drink.-have done for years so nothing new there
    terar21 wrote: »
    If you're logging everything and weighing all of your food but gaining at that amount of calories, you should probably go see a doctor.

I was in a similar situation as you when I was in my very early 30's ... the way I had gotten there was by using extremely low caloric input to lose a few extra pounds and to keep thin for the 10 years before then. During those 10 years I basically lived on cigarettes and black coffee and ate very sparingly. My MD said I had blown my metabolism and to start eating a regular diet ... even though I would gain weight. He wanted me to eat until I was satisfied but not full. The doctor said that once my body found it's own weight that i would stop gaining and then could work on maintaining it. ....

..... Well, I gained 45 pounds before my weight stopped climbing. However I did feel good and my menstral cycles returned, my nails got stronger, and I had a lot more energy. .... Too bad I never learned how to maintain .... otherwise I wouldn't be on here now, 40 years later trying to lose all the excess weight I gained ... some from when I stopped smoking, some from just being a lazy person, and some from eating a lot of fast food.

Good luck.
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    I am being meticulous, no oils, if so 1cal spray. For the last while I've only really eaten something that's come out of a package so I can make sure the cals are right. Think I do need to see a doctor as this is a very big worry to me. Just don't want to go the doctors and them say it's nothing, or I'm doing something wrong; one of reasons asking here first if some of you knowledgeable lot could help, that way I go informed and say I've tried that; it's not that. This is making my life hell
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Be careful as some of those sprays have more cals than you think, and it's easy to hold the button longer than you think you are. Also, be cognizant of the serving sizes on packages. Many, many packaged foods actually contain more than one serving. They also can contain tons of sodium which can lead to water retention which may keep a loss from showing on a scale.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When you go see your doctor, bring him a diary of your meals so he can see what you have been eating ... also ask for a blood test to determine if your thyroid is working properly.

If you are inputting your foods and portions correctly on MFP ... you can just print off the pages that will show everything about your meals your doctor would need to see.
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    Only started on the pre packaged stuff just to make sure of the cals. They are horrible, not my choice of food. As for spray oils used very rarely as most stuff is cooked on the George Forman.

Will try and open my diary
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?
    That^

+2 Because something is wrong somewhere.

To gain 2 Kg, approx 4 lb per week of fat means 14,000 calories above TDEE so your TDEE would effectively be negative if you eat 1,200 per day
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    I do think something is amiss. But doctors will only my to food log so doing that first so I can go armed with that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary. Think it's self explanatory
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    74. 6kg
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    Diary is now open.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How many of those homemade items did you make yourself, how did you measure 1.2 plates also some generic items in there as well

Do you weight and measure absolutely everything you eat & drink or do you guesstimate?

Also how long have you been trying to super restrict your calories?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do think something is amiss. But doctors will only my to food log so doing that first so I can go armed with that.

Be sure you weigh everything. Don't count servings. Weigh it.

It is awesome that you'll be going in with a log. Good luck. :)