FED UP - The documentary, know more about food!

Options
Movie Page: fedupmovie.com/

Trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=aCUbvOwwfWM

FedUp-Fact3-e1399687796660.jpg

I have been educating myself on food and nutrition for years. I follow the guidelines and I pay attention. I am also overweight. I struggle but I own it now, and I'm making great progress. But here is the kickker... I am making progress because i now know what is in the food I eat.

I watched this documentary last night, and I have to say it summed up everything i knew and some things I did not about the food we choose and eat.

I could go into great detail about what facts are in this movie but if I can share some very simple basics with you to help on your weightloss journey then it is this.

-Recommended daily intake of sugar (not to exceed) is 10% of calories on 1200 thats 30gm of sugar on 2000 calories thats 50gm. In 1 can on coke there is 39gms. Already over the limit if you are on a diet.

- When a calorie is not a calorie.... Sugar (as calories) is converted very quickly to fat. Complex carbs use MUCH more calories to convert meaning 200 calories of sugar and 200 calories of complex carbs do not behave the same and would not convert to the same amount of fat.

- The main bulking agent in food in HFCS (High fructose corn syrup) it is cheap and subsidised. When a product says low in fat - it does not mean it is low in calories it is usually packed with HFCS

- Sugar has many names - 57 actually, HFCS, Dextrose, Fructose, food industry uses these many names to confuse us

- There are many % of intake and limits of food labels and there is no % of daily intake of food labels for sugar. Mainly because many of them are way over our RDI.

We can educate ourselves, we can find out the facts and we can take action. Whole foods are better, fresh food is better, and do not be wary of higher fat products, many high fat products are good for us. Olive oil, and greek yogurt being some!

Good Luck,

Chrissy

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In for sugar bashing...oh and the whole sugar calories are worse than protien or fat calorie

FYI there is 14grams of sugar in a medium banana and 9grams of sugar in a small orange.

So I guess people on 1200 can't eat much fruit....

And if you are educating yourself can I see the studies you read to confirm all the "facts" you saw on that "documentry" please...
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    In.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think I'm developing the ability to see into the future (must be all the fructose I eat)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    In for yet another sugar bashing

I was overweight, I am no longer overweight because I finally understood that I ate too much everything, now I can enjoy it all in moderation. MrM pass me a cookie thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    jwhited71 wrote: »

I was overweight, I am no longer overweight because I finally understood that I ate too much everything, now I can enjoy it all in moderation. MrM pass me a cookie thanks!

Yah cookies all I have is skor bars (homemade with AMG sugar, skor bits and chocolate)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I am making progress because I now know what is in the food I eat too! Fat, protein, carbs, alcohol, water and ash!

I know that carbs and protein are roughly 4 calories per gram each, though protein takes more calories to digest, and that fat has roughly 9 calories per gram. Alcohol has 7, but I rarely have that anyway.

That knowledge allows me to eat less calories than I burn, which causes me to lose weight (90+ pounds so far).

I go over my sugar almost every day, so if it's being converted to fat immediately, it has to be converted somewhere else other than my body (or something sneaky has been stealing it while I'm asleep).
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary and was disappointed. Nothing new in it. I mean its good I guess if that's the first time someone has seen something that has taught them something about nutrition, but for anyone who's done any research (including just watching similar documentaries) there was nothing new.

Plus it bored me insanely how "American" it was for a world wide issue. I know most of these types of shows are made in America, so there are some things that don't apply elsewhere, but I felt like the majority of this was unapplicable to living outside the US

Also did really offer solutions, it was just "the government is bad for letting the food industry for getting away with this".
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    jwhited71 wrote: »

Yah cookies all I have is skor bars (homemade with AMG sugar, skor bits and chocolate)

Oh those sound good too! All I have left here is gelato, ice cream, candy corns, and chocolate. Time to do some baking

• chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow - firstly refined sugar is not the same as fructose. It is not sugar bashing its knowing the limits, as with all foods. WHO - World health organisation has the sugar reports and articles. Here are some "facts" as you liked to call them. FDA, CDC and WHO. Where did I get this information? Nutrition course Vanderbilt University.

fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm20026097.htm
    nutrition.gov/shopping-cooking-meal-planning/food-labels
    cbsnews.com/news/nutrition-labels-to-undergo-changes/
    edition.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health/nutrition-labels-changes/index.html?iref=allsearch
    fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm385663.htm
    fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm363474.htm

nutritionmythbusters.blogspot.nl/2010/08/myth-when-i-see-nutrition-information.html
    cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
    cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/wweia.htm
    cbsnews.com/videos/truth-vs-fiction-in-healthy-eating/
    iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/5_Summary%20Table%20Tables%201-4.pdf
    cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm
    health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf
    cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db82.pdf
    cdc.gov/obesity/downloads/obesity_trends_2010.pdf
    cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html
    stateofobesity.org/
    who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/obesity_text/en/
    worldobesity.org/aboutobesity/world-map-obesity/
    cdc.gov/obesity/index.html
    fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/interactive-tools/calculators-and-counters
    who.int/dietphysicalactivity/diet/en/

Is this a lot of information? yes it is, and its not all of it these are my course reading and notes. I hope it does help.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love the smell of fear mongering BS in the morning
    And this gem:
    " When a calorie is not a calorie.... Sugar (as calories) is converted very quickly to fat. Complex carbs use MUCH more calories to convert meaning 200 calories of sugar and 200 calories of complex carbs do not behave the same and would not convert to the same amount of fat."

I guess DNL isn't a thing.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This wont end well
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I just saw the documentary yesterday. It is known for quite long already how the food industry and governments have been fooling us (see also Fat head). One of the reasons why I went for Paleo years ago. Good docu, open and honest! I wonder tho if that will make a change, people are so blind, too many still believe in the fairytale.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Wow - firstly refined sugar is not the same as fructose. It is not sugar bashing its knowing the limits, as with all foods. WHO - World health organisation has the sugar reports and articles. Here are some "facts" as you liked to call them. FDA, CDC and WHO. Where did I get this information? Nutrition course Vanderbilt University.

Good morning chrissywelsh10, unfortunately, the sugar in fruit and the "other" sugars are not separated here on MFP so my sugars go up pretty quick.

I think it was a good documentary but I don't believe you need to give up sweets to lose weight. I speak from experience. I would eat three donuts in one day and still lost 30 lbs. Not everyday of course. I finally learned I can eat one of anything, document it and still lose.

I believe moderation and most important calories in vs calories out is the real source of weight loss.

Have a great day!

• SezxyStef
    Options

<snip>
    Is this a lot of information? yes it is, and its not all of it these are my course reading and notes. I hope it does help.

how is "refined sugar" different from Fructose? please explain...because based on my understanding Fructose+Glucose=Sucrose (minus one water molecule)

and let me know which ones I should and shouldn't consume

Glucose?
    Sucrose?
    Fructose?
    Galactose?
    Lactose?
    Maltose?

• chrissywelsh10
    Options
    how is "refined sugar" different from Fructose? please explain...because based on my understanding Fructose+Glucose=Sucrose (minus one water molecule)

and let me know which ones I should and shouldn't consume

Glucose?
    Sucrose?
    Fructose?
    Galactose?
    Lactose?
    Maltose?

What if i said nothing I said would make a difference?
    You asked for articles/reports and i gave you them. In abundance. I know by your response time you could not have read them.

I am not here to tell you what you should eat, and I am not here to give you a science lesson on the composition of the sugar molecules.

Here are 2 facts you can use yourself. WHO puts your sugar limit at 10% of your calories. WHO was pressured by American governments not to publicise this. It is contained in reports, it is there for those who are interested. American regulation (FDA) have them at 25%.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost 123 opounds and paid zero attention to my sugar intake. I know I ate lots of cookies and ice cream though.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is a big part of my weight loss plan. Obviously I'm failing, if you see my ticker.

If you're prediabetic or have a history in your family of diabetes, sugar should be monitored. Otherwise, it's not -that- big a deal.
  • chrissywelsh10
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is my last word on sugar...
    There are numerous diet fads. "Eat this; don't eat that."
    I do not want to contribute to that fashion.

However, this MD/PhD presents compelling evidence that the eating of refined sugar is not only largely responsible for the epidemic of obesity in the US, but explains the physiological mechanisms by which refined sugar messes with your body. It is fascinating from a scientific perspective if nothing else. It might also change the way you think about what you eat.

There is never a final word on medical research. (Perhaps you have noticed that MDs tend to be really crappy scientists. Fortunately, this guy is not just an MD.) But I find the arguments herein to be very interesting at least.

--> Side note: there is an interesting section on the molecular make-up of the different sugars for those interested. ;)