FED UP - The documentary, know more about food!

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is my last word on sugar...
    There are numerous diet fads. "Eat this; don't eat that."
    I do not want to contribute to that fashion.

However, this MD/PhD presents compelling evidence that the eating of refined sugar is not only largely responsible for the epidemic of obesity in the US, but explains the physiological mechanisms by which refined sugar messes with your body. It is fascinating from a scientific perspective if nothing else. It might also change the way you think about what you eat.

There is never a final word on medical research. (Perhaps you have noticed that MDs tend to be really crappy scientists. Fortunately, this guy is not just an MD.) But I find the arguments herein to be very interesting at least.

--> Side note: there is an interesting section on the molecular make-up of the different sugars for those interested. ;)
    LOLstig, really?
    Zkv6Gt4.gif
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Overconsumption is what causes obesity.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love to read educational posts from people with limited posts who don't show any proof of weight loss, fitness progress or any other reason for me to think they might be on to some truth.... TV watching does not equate a life change.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Movie Page: fedupmovie.com/
    - When a calorie is not a calorie.... Sugar (as calories) is converted very quickly to fat. Complex carbs use MUCH more calories to convert meaning 200 calories of sugar and 200 calories of complex carbs do not behave the same and would not convert to the same amount of fat.
    Apart from wondering if you know what a calorie is - you are missing the context of overall diet and activity.

Recently I ate over 4,400 calories in a day, a very large amount of which came from various sugars (I don't track sugar as it's pointless for me but it was 712g of carbs).
    Amount of fat gained was zero as I was in a calorie deficit.

If I ate that quantity of food (any food!) on a sedentary day the outcome would be different. Context matters.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    how is "refined sugar" different from Fructose? please explain...because based on my understanding Fructose+Glucose=Sucrose (minus one water molecule)

and let me know which ones I should and shouldn't consume

Glucose?
    Sucrose?
    Fructose?
    Galactose?
    Lactose?
    Maltose?

What if i said nothing I said would make a difference?
    You asked for articles/reports and i gave you them. In abundance. I know by your response time you could not have read them.

I am not here to tell you what you should eat, and I am not here to give you a science lesson on the composition of the sugar molecules.

Here are 2 facts you can use yourself. WHO puts your sugar limit at 10% of your calories. WHO was pressured by American governments not to publicise this. It is contained in reports, it is there for those who are interested. American regulation (FDA) have them at 25%.

And you are correct there...nothing you say will change my mind about sugar because let's be frank here...it is not sugar causing the "obesity epidemic" it's over eating of all foods.

I asked for peer review studies and you did not give me any...you gave me blogs and articles from CNN and cbs and a few links to CDC etc. I did click on a few of them and saw no evidence of any studies peer reviewed or otherwise.

And what you missed from the WHO is this little bit of information
    There is increasing concern that consumption of free sugars, particularly in the form of sugar-sweetened beverages, may result in both reduced intake of foods containing more nutritionally adequate calories and an increase in total caloric intake, leading to an unhealthy diet, weight gain and increased risk of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs).
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    how is "refined sugar" different from Fructose? please explain...because based on my understanding Fructose+Glucose=Sucrose (minus one water molecule)

and let me know which ones I should and shouldn't consume

Glucose?
    Sucrose?
    Fructose?
    Galactose?
    Lactose?
    Maltose?

What if i said nothing I said would make a difference?
    You asked for articles/reports and i gave you them. In abundance. I know by your response time you could not have read them.

I am not here to tell you what you should eat, and I am not here to give you a science lesson on the composition of the sugar molecules.

Here are 2 facts you can use yourself. WHO puts your sugar limit at 10% of your calories. WHO was pressured by American governments not to publicise this. It is contained in reports, it is there for those who are interested. American regulation (FDA) have them at 25%.

And you are correct there...nothing you say will change my mind about sugar because let's be frank here...it is not sugar causing the "obesity epidemic" it's over eating of all foods.

I asked for peer review studies and you did not give me any...you gave me blogs and articles from CNN and cbs and a few links to CDC etc. I did click on a few of them and saw no evidence of any studies peer reviewed or otherwise.

And what you missed from the WHO is this little bit of information
    There is increasing concern that consumption of free sugars, particularly in the form of sugar-sweetened beverages, may result in both reduced intake of foods containing more nutritionally adequate calories and an increase in total caloric intake, leading to an unhealthy diet, weight gain and increased risk of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs).

So this^^
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Wow - firstly refined sugar is not the same as fructose. It is not sugar bashing its knowing the limits, as with all foods. WHO - World health organisation has the sugar reports and articles. Here are some "facts" as you liked to call them. FDA, CDC and WHO. Where did I get this information? Nutrition course Vanderbilt University.

fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm20026097.htm
    nutrition.gov/shopping-cooking-meal-planning/food-labels
    cbsnews.com/news/nutrition-labels-to-undergo-changes/
    edition.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health/nutrition-labels-changes/index.html?iref=allsearch
    fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm385663.htm
    fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm363474.htm

nutritionmythbusters.blogspot.nl/2010/08/myth-when-i-see-nutrition-information.html
    cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
    cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/wweia.htm
    cbsnews.com/videos/truth-vs-fiction-in-healthy-eating/
    iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/5_Summary%20Table%20Tables%201-4.pdf
    cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm
    health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf
    cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db82.pdf
    cdc.gov/obesity/downloads/obesity_trends_2010.pdf
    cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html
    stateofobesity.org/
    who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/obesity_text/en/
    worldobesity.org/aboutobesity/world-map-obesity/
    cdc.gov/obesity/index.html
    fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/interactive-tools/calculators-and-counters
    who.int/dietphysicalactivity/diet/en/

Is this a lot of information? yes it is, and its not all of it these are my course reading and notes. I hope it does help.

whoa.
    dvz5uw0azxyf.gif

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar and I've lost 40 lb. I must be magic, since I eat ice cream or chocolate everyday and those are converted immediately to fat.

I'm available wave my magic hands over those in need; payment can be made in brownies. I also do weddings and bar mitzvahs.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite kinds of threads.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I don't track sugar and I've lost 40 lb. I must be magic, since I eat ice cream or chocolate everyday and those are converted immediately to fat.

I'm available wave my magic hands over those in need; payment can be made in brownies. I also do weddings and bar mitzvahs.

Crap you beat me to it...I was gonna offer my services as well...esp since my fav evening snack is a dairy milk chocolate bar (god knows how much sugar is in that) and a diet coke....AMG APARTAME................worse than sugar...

Maybe we should for a corporation I know a few others here with "magic hands"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In for chocolate!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary for people to be so rude when someone posts something that some people may find interesting. We all know science changes constantly and what works for one may not work for others. But there is no need for the snarkiness that prevails on so many of these forums.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I love how beliefs can be taken to religulous levels, and supplant rationality.

It's a heady opiate apparently.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Crissy,

It sounds like you are against sugar. That's okay, too, but that's just your opinion.

Sugar is not good or bad, it's just....sugar.

The thing about food documentaries is that they are generally biased, and the one you watched apparently tells you everything that is wrong with sugar. I think it's important to know what's in your food so you can make sure there are not ingredients that you are allergic or intolerant to, or that you just don't like for some reason.

There is nothing at all wrong with sugar, and it is not the source of someone getting fat.

Too much food, as in eating more calories than you burn, is why people get fat. Read the countless stories here of people who eat everything under the sun in moderation, including sugary foods. This includes me, who lost 44 pounds eating everything I love in moderation, including sugar, and maintaining for almost a year on the same type of dietary plan.

I used to be the low fat, low sugar, no added blah, blah, blah, and I was still overweight. I thought if I ate healthy I would lose weight. However, it was only when I got rid of the ____ food is bad mentality that I was able to start losing weight and keep it off.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    Is it really necessary for people to be so rude when someone posts something that some people may find interesting. We all know science changes constantly and what works for one may not work for others. But there is no need for the snarkiness that prevails on so many of these forums.

You're new here. You'll learn why people react with sarcasm to BS posts.

Additionally, we try to use our big people words here, we're not on a teens website, so we don't use terms like "snarkiness."
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is my last word on sugar...
    There are numerous diet fads. "Eat this; don't eat that."
    I do not want to contribute to that fashion.

However, this MD/PhD presents compelling evidence that the eating of refined sugar is not only largely responsible for the epidemic of obesity in the US, but explains the physiological mechanisms by which refined sugar messes with your body. It is fascinating from a scientific perspective if nothing else. It might also change the way you think about what you eat.

There is never a final word on medical research. (Perhaps you have noticed that MDs tend to be really crappy scientists. Fortunately, this guy is not just an MD.) But I find the arguments herein to be very interesting at least.

--> Side note: there is an interesting section on the molecular make-up of the different sugars for those interested. ;)
    Chrssy,

Really....you're bolting, just when the conversation is getting underway? That's not nice. :wink:

Sugar is not the responsible for obesity, eating too much of anything is.

On the flip side, a person who eats no refined sugar/HFS will gain weight if they eat more calories than they burn.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am in for the fun, but it looks like Chrissy already ran for the hills.

Oh, and love how people like Chrissy likes to make these posts but has his/her profile completely blocked so we cannot see their success or lack of success.