FED UP - The documentary, know more about food!

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »

Everyone else pretty much covered the sugar alarmism and biased presentation of the documentary, I just wanted to point out something about this graphic.

When's the last time you saw someone down an entire jar of spaghetti sauce?

See my point? They show you a pretty graphic with surprising numbers, and they don't take a second to factor in something as basic as serving size. That one jar of pasta probably has around 8 servings in it.

I hate these food documentaries. They're just slick propaganda designed to prey on people.

Yes, exactly this.
    It's a ridiculous comparison.

Oh my god, propaganda that gets us to eat less sugar! Are they trying to tear America apart from the inside?

Honestly, what do you think these documentarians have to gain by getting you with their slick propaganda that, at least in their eyes, is healthy?

Also, don't you guys ever get sick of bashing on the new person who somehow doesn't realize they're going to be torn a new one when they don't say something that adheres to CICO? I mean, this is like bashing session number 472 against the person who thought they were being helpful. It's like picking on the guy who says he wants to loose weight, even though you know damn well what they mean...

I haven't bashed anyone. I simply agreed with an opinion stated about the photo.

Was addressing the people who are bashing. Since you aren't, I must not be addressing you. We good?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Everyone else pretty much covered the sugar alarmism and biased presentation of the documentary, I just wanted to point out something about this graphic.

See my point? They show you a pretty graphic with surprising numbers, and they don't take a second to factor in something as basic as serving size. That one jar of pasta probably has around 8 servings in it.

I hate these food documentaries. They're just slick propaganda designed to prey on people.

Yes, exactly this.

Oh my god, propaganda that gets us to eat less sugar! Are they trying to tear America apart from the inside?

Honestly, what do you think these documentarians have to gain by getting you with their slick propaganda that, at least in their eyes, is healthy?

Also, don't you guys ever get sick of bashing on the new person who somehow doesn't realize they're going to be torn a new one when they don't say something that adheres to CICO? I mean, this is like bashing session number 472 against the person who thought they were being helpful. It's like picking on the guy who says he wants to loose weight, even though you know damn well what they mean...

I haven't bashed anyone. I simply agreed with an opinion stated about the photo.

Was addressing the people who are bashing. Since you aren't, I must not be addressing you. We good?

Then maybe don't quote my post if you're not addressing me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

err no, most of clearly state "per portion serving"

most 'low fat' products are crammed full of sugar to make up for the taste. if you see something that looks unhealthy and yummy but low in calories and you think wow thats just too good to be true? well your right it is too good to be true! :)

I just checked. Half a cup of Prego Traditional, according to the mfp database, is 10 grams of sugar. 12.5 teaspoons of sugar are 62.5 grams of sugar if you say a teaspoon is 5 grams, 87.5 grams of sugar if you say a teaspoon is 7 grams. 3-4 cups of spaghetti sauce isn't a serving, and that particular sauce has pretty high sugar where others have far less.
    It's misleading.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yes, exactly this.

Then maybe don't quote my post if you're not addressing me.

@busyraenotbustyrae
    Unless you put said M&Ms in your spaghetti sauce, the m&ms are candy. Once they're in the spaghetti sauce though, they become a vegetable. The USDA told me that.
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I found this programme very interesting to watch. I believe we are all looking for the one cause that causes weight gain and the one answer that can 'cure' it. thats the problem!!

theres no one set answer! its a simple but complex issue! its all about educating yourself and knowing your own body! we are all different and our bodies work differently. some people say 'need to cut fat out' some people say 'oh cut sugar out' and others no its about the calories you put in and take out (with exercise) I believe those alone, will not work! but a mix of everything is a good way to go!!

its all about balance and finding the right one for you. but also having common sense helps to! when looking at food products I always look at calories, fat content and sugar content. I do believe sugar is the worse, especially all the fake sugar in diet soft drinks etc....sugar is SUGAR! thats how your body sees it and wont care if you got it from a diet coke. still treats it the same as the full sugar kind.

Just because a product is low calorie doesnt mean its always good for you! sadly most food/drink companies want to make money!! so arent going to care what they put in their products as long as they sell and make loads of money! hey im no expert! I love a krispy kreme and a tub of ben and jerrys any day but I know thats why I struggle with losing weight.

Its all about knowing yourself :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the US ISN'T the highest consumer of sugar. Brazil is. And there are other nations still in front of the US. But the obesity rate is higher in the US than any of these other countries.
    Why? Because of over consumption of TOTAL calories, not just sugar. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I had the opportunity to go to Rio back in February.

Those butts. wooooo.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Yes, exactly this.

Pointing out misinformation is not bashing.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Well this is new and interesting...
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I love the smell of fear mongering BS in the morning
    And this gem:
    " When a calorie is not a calorie.... Sugar (as calories) is converted very quickly to fat. Complex carbs use MUCH more calories to convert meaning 200 calories of sugar and 200 calories of complex carbs do not behave the same and would not convert to the same amount of fat."

I guess DNL isn't a thing.

Bom bom bom bommmmmmmmm...

I think I'm going to add flight of the Valkyries to my iPod.

• dbmata
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Like I said in my last post, I don't even think I'm arguing with you.
    This made me laugh.

I'm not arguing with you! (Writes huge wall of text arguing.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

err no, most of clearly state "per portion serving"

I think you are misunderstanding his point. The movie tried to make a point about the amount of sugar in a jar of Prego ignoring the fact that the amount in an actual serving size is much less, specifically 7 grams (and 80 calories), according to MFP's database.

To put that in context, I compared a serving size (.5 cup) of Prego with a basic marinara recipe stated to make about 1.5 cups. The tomatoes, onions, and little bit of sugar in that recipe resulted in 21 grams of sugar or, when taking one third or a half cup of that to have a comparable number, 7 grams. Interesting. It also had more calories than the same amount of Prego.

No wonder I managed to gain weight cooking mostly from whole foods. (Like I said above, I don't add sugar to my personal marinara, but I used to add butter, and in the recipe I used the majority of the calories were from the olive oil.)

I'd still prefer the homemade sauce, including the higher calorie full fat version, to Prego, although I tend to cut the calories in mine some now, because I can without hurting the taste. (As I said before, I'd bet quite a bit of money that whether one uses Prego or homemade that marinara sauce isn't the primary culprit for excess calories in the average pasta-based meal.)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Anything processed is going to be loaded with salt, sugar and fat. They have to do that or people won't buy their junk. Learn to make your own recipes from scratch and avoid anything made by man, and when you do indulge, just be aware of what you'rte eating.

That's why we count and track calories.
    As for these revelations, don't pooh peach seeds too much over it. Track your calories and macros. Life is also to be lived.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (And I see that while I was doing all that math others made the same point.)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I found this programme very interesting to watch. I believe we are all looking for the one cause that causes weight gain and the one answer that can 'cure' it. thats the problem!!

theres no one set answer! its a simple but complex issue! its all about educating yourself and knowing your own body! we are all different and our bodies work differently. some people say 'need to cut fat out' some people say 'oh cut sugar out' and others no its about the calories you put in and take out (with exercise) I believe those alone, will not work! but a mix of everything is a good way to go!!

its all about balance and finding the right one for you. but also having common sense helps to! when looking at food products I always look at calories, fat content and sugar content. I do believe sugar is the worse, especially all the fake sugar in diet soft drinks etc....sugar is SUGAR! thats how your body sees it and wont care if you got it from a diet coke. still treats it the same as the full sugar kind.

Just because a product is low calorie doesnt mean its always good for you! sadly most food/drink companies want to make money!! so arent going to care what they put in their products as long as they sell and make loads of money! hey im no expert! I love a krispy kreme and a tub of ben and jerrys any day but I know thats why I struggle with losing weight.

One misconception in there....

It's not believing calories in vs calories out (with exercise), it's calories out doing what you do normally during the day......whether running a marathon or sitting on the couch. Understanding how many calories you're using during that time and eating in a deficit.....

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Yes to RG eating in a deficit!
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

It's not believing calories in vs calories out (with exercise), it's calories out doing what you do normally during the day......whether running a marathon or sitting on the couch. Understanding how many calories you're using during that time and eating in a deficit.....

You misread what I said then. :) My point was the answer to losing weight the right way is more than one answer. its about making smart choices with your food and knowing your own body.

Example = if your only allowed 1300 cals a day (which is about my allowance, so annoying!) anyway, if you eat 1300 cals of junk (chocolate, cakes etc) or eat 1300 of clean healthy food (chicken, oats, carrots) im sure I dont need to say what would happen!

In some ways I do agree you need to be active and exercise when losing weight and keep an eye on your calorie intake. BUT its not the only answer!!

I love learning about this kind of thing, I think you have to be careful when reading food packets, they are very clever when coming to hide the hidden nasties!

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You misread what I said then. :) My point was the answer to losing weight the right way is more than one answer. its about making smart choices with your food and knowing your own body.

Example = if your only allowed 1300 cals a day (which is about my allowance, so annoying!) anyway, if you eat 1300 cals of junk (chocolate, cakes etc) or eat 1300 of clean healthy food (chicken, oats, carrots) im sure I dont need to say what would happen!

In some ways I do agree you need to be active and exercise when losing weight and keep an eye on your calorie intake. BUT its not the only answer!!

I love learning about this kind of thing, I think you have to be careful when reading food packets, they are very clever when coming to hide the hidden nasties!

You would lose weight.

• amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly before I read any of this mess.
  • dbmata
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What in Sam hell are we talking about now? M&Ms?

and how they're vegetables. Yes.
  • dbmata
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

You would lose weight.

You'd also spend a lot of time on the john eating via example 2.

Who does #2 work for?