FED UP - The documentary, know more about food!

Options

Replies

• daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wow - firstly refined sugar is not the same as fructose. .

No it is not. Sugar that has been refined from cane or beets is sucrose which takes longer to break down in your system because it is a disaccharide (2 different types of sugar make up the molecule, in the case of cane or beet sugar it is fructose and glucose). Fructose hits your system quicker because it is a monosaccharide. (This is why it is best to give someone having a hypoglycemic episode fructose in the form of fruit juice or glucose tablets, because it hit the system quicker and spikes the blood sugar faster than sucrose, corn syrup, or honey)
    Fructose best treatment for hypoglycemia? You sure?

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either, at least for all cases. It depends on what is causing the hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia when I was 12 and had to go to the school nurse all the time from junior high through high school because of sugar crashes. I was supposed to eat complex carbs or something with carbs and protein together. Another kid had juvenile diabetes and was often in there at the same time as I was. He got to have Coke for his low sugar.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Mackerel.... mercury loads are totes clean ya'll.

Question:
    You have Fish.
    You have Mackerel.

Mackerel is not fish?

lol mackerel is a type of fish yes! when i said fish I just meant the plain white stuff. mackerel is different to plain white fish (cod, haddock etc!) just examples. :)

Wait so if fish is just plain white stuff, what the heck type of organism is this salmon that I'm eating?!

One fish, two fish.
    Red fish.
    Blue Fish.

Red, obvs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No it is not. Sugar that has been refined from cane or beets is sucrose which takes longer to break down in your system because it is a disaccharide (2 different types of sugar make up the molecule, in the case of cane or beet sugar it is fructose and glucose). Fructose hits your system quicker because it is a monosaccharide. (This is why it is best to give someone having a hypoglycemic episode fructose in the form of fruit juice or glucose tablets, because it hit the system quicker and spikes the blood sugar faster than sucrose, corn syrup, or honey)

Yup, I'm sure. When one of my diabetic friends have a hypo episode fruit juice (which contains fructose) or glucose tabs are what their doctors recommend to quickly raise their blood sugar. Sucrose can take a couple of minutes longer but is good if the others aren't available.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    Somewhere, there is a dead horse that is getting beaten.

Dang....emoticon doesn't work here..
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Want to talk about odd labeling? I've seen gluten free sugar, gluten free soap, and even gluten free shirts.

People will fall for anything.

In terms of gluten free soaps/shampoos... there are chemicals that are derived from gluten. For those with Celiac and some with an intolerance, these chemicals/ingredients can cause a skin reactions. In the case of my wife, she has persistent dry and itchy scalp. This was the case even after trying 15 different shampoo. It was not until she tried a shampoo that did not have this ingredient was she able to get rid of the dry and itchy scalp. I would suggest thinking of it like medicines that are derived from a ingredient you are allergic to. For me, anything that even remotely tied to penicillin will make me ill.
    This.

Not everything is cut and dry.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    Somewhere, there is a dead horse that is getting beaten.

Dang....emoticon doesn't work here..

How about this one? Works for threads like this in my opinion.

puke.gif
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Question:
    You have Fish.
    You have Mackerel.

Mackerel is not fish?

lol mackerel is a type of fish yes! when i said fish I just meant the plain white stuff. mackerel is different to plain white fish (cod, haddock etc!) just examples. :)

Wait so if fish is just plain white stuff, what the heck type of organism is this salmon that I'm eating?!

salmon is fish of course!! :) but its more like mackerel, sardines etc. myself (my opinion not fact!) would class it different to cod and haddock as the calories and fat content are different
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Question:
    You have Fish.
    You have Mackerel.

Mackerel is not fish?

salmon is fish of course!! :) but its more like mackerel, sardines etc. myself (my opinion not fact!) would class it different to cod and haddock as the calories and fat content are different

They are being sarcastic.
    "Clean eating" is an arbitrary term that means different things to different people. And using the term here is like lighting a match in a shed full of fireworks.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Question:
    You have Fish.
    You have Mackerel.

Mackerel is not fish?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    so we went from sugar is evil to clean food discussion..and apparently the tomato sauce I make at home with veggies I grow in my garden isn't clean...okay gotcha...

*kicks compost pile to the curb cause I won't be growing no more veggies*
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    so we went from sugar is evil to clean food discussion..and apparently the tomato sauce I make at home with veggies I grow in my garden isn't clean...okay gotcha...

If now someone mentions a detox cleanse, does an angel get its wings?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

If now someone mentions a detox cleanse, does an angel get its wings?

no but it's almost bingo I think

• emmabanks87
    Options

'clean eating' is just a phase!!! does 'one ingredient' food sound better?? but dont get confused, you can use 'one ingredient's together so you can still make your homemade tomato sauce with your veggies! just make sure you clean the veggies first yeah? dont want a batch of soil in the sauce! although could make it organic maybe?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

'clean eating' is just a phase!!! does 'one ingredient' food sound better?? but dont get confused, you can use 'one ingredient's together so you can still make your homemade tomato sauce with your veggies! just make sure you clean the veggies first yeah? dont want a batch of soil in the sauce! although could make it organic maybe?

I am not confused just pointing out that the definition of clean is to varied...thereby as silly as "sugar is evil"...

Don't get me wrong I eat 80/20 most of my food is lean meats and veggies and whole grains but the other 20% is processed and nom nom and even 30% sometimes and if I am drinking reverse it.

And my sister is as bad as me and she is lean and low bodyfat too...clean eating doesn't guarantee that...only a calorie deficit with good macros does and probably some sort of exercise preferably lifting.

45561484.png
  • emmabanks87
    Options

I am not confused just pointing out that the definition of clean is to varied...thereby as silly as "sugar is evil"...

Don't get me wrong I eat 80/20 most of my food is lean meats and veggies and whole grains but the other 20% is processed and nom nom and even 30% sometimes and if I am drinking reverse it.

And my sister is as bad as me and she is lean and low bodyfat too...clean eating doesn't guarantee that...only a calorie deficit with good macros does and probably some sort of exercise preferably lifting.

45561484.png

yep i agree! I try to stick to the 80/20 rule. need my cheat meal once a week! I know all the healthy stuff to eat but omg I freaking love cake, doughnuts, ice cream etc so much!! super mega jealous of my best friend, same age as me, and she can eat as much crap as she wants and is so slim! she thinks im mad being obsessed with healthy eating and exercise. life can be cruel sometimes! lol
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either, at least for all cases. It depends on what is causing the hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia when I was 12 and had to go to the school nurse all the time from junior high through high school because of sugar crashes. I was supposed to eat complex carbs or something with carbs and protein together. Another kid had juvenile diabetes and was often in there at the same time as I was. He got to have Coke for his low sugar.

For diabetics, best is the one that you can get the easiest and in you the fastest :D It's highly situational. Generally though anything which is a liquid sugar is desirable, be it juice or full fat pop. I never have these in the house though, I just jump for anything sugary and lie there until I can move again. If I ever got myself into a serious pickle I have a glycogen kit in the fridge which would be the fastest treatment. Simple sugars would then be followed up by a more complex carb so you don't spike as hard and have a reactive hypo.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's a good thing. I did the math and homemade tomato sauce has lots of--gasp!--sugar. Filthy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Like I said in my last post, I don't even think I'm arguing with you.
    This made me laugh.

I'm not arguing with you! (Writes huge wall of text arguing.)

Okay, this made me laugh, although the "wall of text" wasn't actually intended as an argument. I hate arguments when I don't even know what the disagreement is!