Anyone feel like they can't run?

Options
13»

Replies

• sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with running/jogging. Honestly, I mostly jog - but hey! Any speed over my warm up walking speed where I am doing the running/jogging motions count as a run as far as I'm concerned!

Anyway - I started out aiming for 60 second runs. I hated those 60 seconds. Until they were over and I loved the fact I ran for 60 seconds straight.

I eventually moved up to 5 minute runs - they really sucked and every minute I was counting down the seconds until I could stop.

A 7 minute run was next and once again, it sucked.

The next day however, I sulked every minute up to the 7 minute mark, then hit 8 minutes. I then figured, may as well make it even and aim for 10 minutes. Those 2 minutes didn't suck so bad. I wasn't even puffed which was amazing as far as I was concerned. Next thing I knew, the 10 minute mark was up and I was continuing!

I ended up doing 15 minutes of continuous running at speed 7 on the treadmill. I'm no athlete, but that was an incredible feat for the non-runner I had always insisted to be.

My next goal is 20 minutes of straight running. I'm not looking to speed up, I just want to be able to go continuously cause I tend to give up before I've started. If it takes me 5 or 10 or 15 days to run 20 minutes, who cares? It's still an acheivement.

Finally, my advice is to start small. Run/jog at a speed that suits you. Get your breathing right and you'll find it easier. Set a goal for that day - even if it is only running for 15 seconds at speed 5.5. Feel proud of yourself for making that goal.

Then do the same the next day, and so on. C25K will also help when you can run for 60 seconds at a time.

• dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There are loads of good tips here from everyone but I would also say that running isnt for everyone. I personally don't really enjoy running and much prefer a varied workout as I have a really short concentration span. If you don't grow to love it using all the ideas given above then try something else until you find something that you do love!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Even when my weight is ideal and I'm in great physical condition, I hate running and I suck at it. I finally figured out this year it's probably due to my loose knee ligaments. Every decade or so I try again and re-learn the same lesson. We really are not all potential lovers of running.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either, never have been even as a child but its something I want to be able to do. I want to be able to run a 5k or even hopefully a 10k

When I went out by myself I wouldn't manage any distance at all, probably 1/4mile before I was huffing and puffing. But I've signed up for a 10k obstacle course so I need to be able to at least job between the obstacles. As part of the training for this my PT took me out for a run, I thought we were going for a mile but it seemed never to end. He made me keep an eye on my HR ( I wear a monitor) and just made me keep going. I got to the 5k mark and even felt ok at the end of it.

I've done it once myself since then and was delighted that I did it.

I think for me part of the 'I can't run' was that I didn't have the confidence that I could do it, I would set out too fast and fail.

I've got a sore knee so I can't go out this week as I don't want to aggravate it but I will be going out again, maybe manage a little further this time but if I don't then that's fine as well.

Good luck with the running
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Nothing earth-shaking to add here except to throw another vote in for C25K. I'm just finishing the last week and can't believe the progress! I started at 230lbs and couldn't run the 60 second intervals. But if you keep at it, it totally works! I personally use a podcast that has music and a "coach" telling me when to run and when to walk. My own music isn't particularly conducive to running :) I like the comment earlier about downloading Military Cadence music. That's on my list now!

On running slow - especially outdoors it feels REEEAAALLLLYYY slow. Like turtles-passing-you slow. But it turns out I was actually running faster than on the treadmill. Getting your breathing pattern going seems to be the best way to know if you're running too fast.

All this to say it is totally possible if you stick with it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    I do between 30-45 mins of cardio at the gym each day. No problems at all.
    I push myself, sweat buckets, and enjoy it. Apart from when I try and run.
    The whole thing is just awful. It's so uncomfortable, I feel like I need to be breathing way more than I'm actually able to, everything hurts and I feel so heavy and gross when I run. So far I've gone from 225 lbs to 190 but I don't feel like it's any easier AT all.
    I've read so many times that very often people that get in to fitness discover a love for running, where is this love?!

No one loves to run.

Believe me.

And the older you get, the more it hurts.

But you love how you feel afterward.

And if you run outside in some pleasant spot, it is enjoyable to look at the sights and see the people.

:o Ohhhh, Steve, you are so wrong.

Read this:

I. Love. To. Run.

I love the act of putting one in front of the other at a 6.0 mph pace, or a 5.8 pace, or even a 6.5 pace. Really. It's the most relaxing thing to me, helps me to mind-work issues and stresses. I think about my writing and my work and my life, and everything else. A whole 45 minutes to an hour.

It's a nice feeling afterward, but it's not the same as running itself. :smile: :smiley:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Many people love to run, and many people don't feel any better after it than any other cardio (and many people don't get any noticeable 'high' or endorphins from exercise).
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    tedsmama wrote: »
    I used to feel like I couldn't run. Now I feel like I cannot NOT run. :p

Me too. Started the C25K last April and now can't imagine not running. I used to think the C25K was 25km, which put me off for a long, long time...

• KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was a marathon runner in my 20's and 30's. Now that I'm in my 40's I've come to my senses and I LOVE walking with my dogs every morning for an hour. It's awesome and I can do it till I'm 99. No more running for me.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for people with anxiety. My anxiety makes me chest feel constantly tight (my meds make me not able to feel the pain of that now) but I shallow breathe a lot of the time and can only get a normal breath in if I yawn so my chest can expand. Also if I feel that I'm not breathing well during a run/walk session, I will start to panic and it gets considerably worse! Has anyone else experienced problems like this? I am trying to work through my anxiety but medication can only do so much and waiting lists for counselling are a few months long in my area. I understand that breathing is the most important part of a run, which is why I am getting so frustrated about it and feel my anxiety is holding me back.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned before, but make sure you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. This is especially crucial during the winter months b/c (from what my 8th grade gym teacher told me) it warms the air up so it will cut down the potential of getting a sore throat. Idk how true that is, but it's stuck with me all these years.

Make sure you have a good running shoes and wicking socks. I just started running about a month ago, and I ran twice without running shoes and wicking socks, and my feet paid the price. And only use the shoes for running.

And make sure you aren't running too fast. Whatever pace you're going at now, cut it in half. You may have to start with speed walking and work your way to jogging. As mentioned previously, use the C25k app.

Good luck!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. Now I love running. Download a C25K app. It works, promise.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I suck at it too, but what I find is that each day, I can run more and more. It's all about building endurance.