Wheat Belly- Book

Options
Has anyone read Wheat Belly? It is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. I have blocked out wheat and have already felt so much better and loosing weight.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat daily.

I believe in whatever works for you, but I suspect that there is nothing special about wheat. I suspect that the modern diet is simply out of balance - too carb & fat heavy - and that if you can balance your diet, that you can eat whatever you want. I suppose that eliminating wheat and making it evil is one way to cut back on carbs and a good deal of fat in the process.

Just my 2 cents.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you give up wheat?
  • Lily024
    Lily024 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read the books. What the Dr. is saying makes a lot of sense. Especially when you start shopping and looking at the ingredients. It is hard to find options that don't include wheat or grain. I have stopped eating grains as much as possible. I didn't think I had issues with grains either, but when my system was off of it for about 2 weeks, I ate grain and noticed bloating, gas, diarrhea, skin irritations and most of all cravings to eat more. I have also found though the cravings are gone while off wheat. I believe the wheat does work as an addiction on your brain. I have also noticed how I am not hungry most of the time and am not thinking about food as much, which actually does help on the grocery bill.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The book is full of quack and pseudoscience. Other than that it is fantastic entertainment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    The book is full of quack and pseudoscience. Other than that it is fantastic entertainment.

never read it...but this is pretty much the review that I always see ...

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs, there is no reason to avoid/limit/restrict them.

when I lost weight, I consistently ate carbs and had no issues with losing weight...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read Wheat Belly? It is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. I have blocked out wheat and have already felt so much better and loosing weight.

What do you mean when you say you feel better? People say that all the time, and I don't really get it.

I mean, I feel better after having lost 56 pounds, because I'm lighter and have more energy, but beyond that..........
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'd be more likely to even look into it if it were "Wheat Belly- The Musical"

Both are laughable though
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

I could get behind "Wheat Belly on Ice"
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Lily024 wrote: »
    I have read the books. What the Dr. is saying makes a lot of sense. Especially when you start shopping and looking at the ingredients. It is hard to find options that don't include wheat or grain. I have stopped eating grains as much as possible. I didn't think I had issues with grains either, but when my system was off of it for about 2 weeks, I ate grain and noticed bloating, gas, diarrhea, skin irritations and most of all cravings to eat more. I have also found though the cravings are gone while off wheat. I believe the wheat does work as an addiction on your brain. I have also noticed how I am not hungry most of the time and am not thinking about food as much, which actually does help on the grocery bill.
    But he, the eminent Dr. also said replacing wheat with other carbs will be no better. Why? because he's selling a low carb diet with wheat as the catalyst.....smart like a fox.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    People generally aren't gluten intolerant, they just have rubbish diets.

Unless you have a medical condition, which most of us don't, there is no reason to give up any foodstuff.

herrspoons I totally agree with your first statement. I actually agree with your second statement as well but I do believe most everyone by the time they decide to lose weight have a medical condition or the early stages of health issues.

Those under 40 may have little or no reason to give up an food stuff but that may not be the case for those of us who could start drawing Social Security checks. :(

Wheat Belly sounds interesting. All dieting books on the market contain quacky and pseudoscience based by on the reviews by authors of other books on dieting. :)

There is little science in the dieting industry but a lot of HYPE it seems to me. The longer/more people stay fat the stronger the market is for any/all dieting related sales. We know from a point of health on average people would be better of to not even try than to yoyo the body weight by 100 pounds every five years.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

I could get behind "Wheat Belly on Ice"

The mental image is hysterical. I think the creators of South Park would get behind this!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical condition, which most of us don't, there is no reason to give up any foodstuff.

herrspoons I totally agree with your first statement. I actually agree with your second statement as well but I do believe most everyone by the time they decide to lose weight have a medical condition or the early stages of health issues.

Those under 40 may have little or no reason to give up an food stuff but that may not be the case for those of us who could start drawing Social Security checks. :(

Wheat Belly sounds interesting. All dieting books on the market contain quacky and pseudoscience based by on the reviews by authors of other books on dieting. :)

There is little science in the dieting industry but a lot of HYPE it seems to me. The longer/more people stay fat the stronger the market is for any/all dieting related sales. We know from a point of health on average people would be better of to not even try than to yoyo the body weight by 100 pounds every five years.

if you are 30, 40, or 60 the basic laws of math and physics still apply ...eat more = gain; eat less = lose...
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I heard of the book, haven't read it though. I am gluten intolerant and have been since before anyone knew what gluten was, and I also think that many people are without even knowing it.

So I don't eat gluten, I have rice or quinoa a few times per month.. popcorn on the weekends.. You get the idea. Not many grains in my diet. Not many starchy vegetables either. Yet I manage to still easily have 30% or more of my calories come from carbs. I can't imagine what it would be if I did eat grains! I think it's way too easy to go overboard with carbs if you eat grains - then you don't have place for good veggies that have so much more to offer you healthwise.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. The author has been called out multiple times for intentionally misrepresenting the studies he cites in his book.
    2. Have you seen pictures of the author? If he's following his own diet, I want no part in it!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Nope. Like everyone else here I just ate and drank too much.

I herrspoons that may be the case with your body. I can really over do the fats and protein to a point and get away with it but overdoing the carbs nail me very time.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I read it about a year ago when I first started trying to lose weight and right about the time I joined MFP. I was intentionally looking for books with different approaches. I read books that were against animal products, wheat, fat, sugar, and of course processed foods. I read books that promoted whole foods, plants, meat and cholesterol. Then I let the whole collection sink in and started picking out the parts that seemed to make sense, given all the theories and criticisms.

Wheat Belly didn't make the cut. Overall, I was unimpressed with the book and most of the argument.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I herrspoons that may be the case with your body. I can really over do the fats and protein to a point and get away with it but overdoing the carbs nail me very time.

false. over eating anything will make you gain weight. #science. Stop vilifying a perfectly good and delish macro.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

false. over eating anything will make you gain weight. #science. Stop vilifying a perfectly good and delish macro.
    This. Fat is the easiest macro to get stored

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Outside of a metabolic disorder, this just isn't true. Sorry.

I'm insulin resistant, so I'm going for a moderate carb intake (about 150g a day) and even with my medical issue, I've still lost 56 pounds.