Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    s_pekz wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    People generally aren't gluten intolerant, they just have rubbish diets.

Unless you have a medical condition, which most of us don't, there is no reason to give up any foodstuff.

herrspoons I totally agree with your first statement. I actually agree with your second statement as well but I do believe most everyone by the time they decide to lose weight have a medical condition or the early stages of health issues.

Those under 40 may have little or no reason to give up an food stuff but that may not be the case for those of us who could start drawing Social Security checks. :(

Wheat Belly sounds interesting. All dieting books on the market contain quacky and pseudoscience based by on the reviews by authors of other books on dieting. :)

There is little science in the dieting industry but a lot of HYPE it seems to me. The longer/more people stay fat the stronger the market is for any/all dieting related sales. We know from a point of health on average people would be better of to not even try than to yoyo the body weight by 100 pounds every five years.

Nope. Like everyone else here I just ate and drank too much.

I herrspoons that may be the case with your body. I can really over do the fats and protein to a point and get away with it but overdoing the carbs nail me very time.

false. over eating anything will make you gain weight. #science. Stop vilifying a perfectly good and delish macro.
    This. Fat is the easiest macro to get stored

this x 1000
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I actually agree with your second statement as well but I do believe most everyone by the time they decide to lose weight have a medical condition or the early stages of health issues.

Ahh I just turned 46 and I'm VERY healthy, why don't you explain to me what my medical condition is so I can tell my doctors they missed it.

• jay8anks
    jay8anks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it but it is just a variation of a Paleo diet. I just finished Go Wild, by John J. Ratey and really enjoyed it for the most part.

Despite the disbelief and negative comments on here, if you use MFP you can see exactly the point paleo is trying to make. Log for a while and look at the things that are high calorie. Low and behold, wheat, corn, rice -- especially in highly processed forms -- are really high in calories. Fried foods, too. Oh look, and sugar laden processed foods and drinks, too.

If you cut these things out, you will lose weight and be healthier. Yes, there is more to nutrition than calories. Some foods have more nutrition in them than others. Some foods spike your insulin levels more than others. This is bad for you.

I think if you really use MFP and log, and you cut down or eliminate the crazy high calorie things...all of the sudden you are doing some version of what was recommended in Wheat Belly.

And if you just try to eat a low calorie version of the SAD (Standard American Diet), you are destined to failure. The crazy carbs, sugar levels, and calories of the SAD diet make it impossible to just eat less of.

Now I will say, one thing bugs me with paleo. Some people use it as an excuse to eat only meat and piles of it. This isn't healthy, either. But with some balance, it is probably your best chance of long lasting results.

And if you read between the lines here, I have recommended what you have probably heard about dieting your whole life: Cut out fried foods, breads, heavily processed foods, and sugar-laden drinks, etc., etc.

Again. Log on MFP and see the crazy calories of the above items and you come up with some variation of paleo. The paleo diets and MFP should meet in the middle somewhere if you are doing it right.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    jay8anks wrote: »

And if you just try to eat a low calorie version of the SAD (Standard American Diet), you are destined to failure. The crazy carbs, sugar levels, and calories of the SAD diet make it impossible to just eat less of.

I don't understand. What about all of the fit, healthy people on this site who are successful at losing and maintaining weight on the "SAD" diet?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I actually agree with your second statement as well but I do believe most everyone by the time they decide to lose weight have a medical condition or the early stages of health issues.

Ahh I just turned 46 and I'm VERY healthy, why don't you explain to me what my medical condition is so I can tell my doctors they missed it.

Liftng4Lis I should have been more specific after reviewing your profile. I was thinking of someone like myself that started out 75 pounds overweight and appeared to have a fatty liver perhaps and/or insulin insensitive. You seem to be a picture of health.

First I consider 15-20 percent of an 'ideal' weight not to be over weight. In fact according to research being 20% over weight on average means one will live longer than the person on the thin side.

With you just wanting to tweak your health your options should be wide open. What you have already done is impressive.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I haven't read it but it is just a variation of a Paleo diet. I just finished Go Wild, by John J. Ratey and really enjoyed it for the most part.

Despite the disbelief and negative comments on here, if you use MFP you can see exactly the point paleo is trying to make. Log for a while and look at the things that are high calorie. Low and behold, wheat, corn, rice -- especially in highly processed forms -- are really high in calories. Fried foods, too. Oh look, and sugar laden processed foods and drinks, too.

If you cut these things out, you will lose weight and be healthier. Yes, there is more to nutrition than calories. Some foods have more nutrition in them than others. Some foods spike your insulin levels more than others. This is bad for you.

I think if you really use MFP and log, and you cut down or eliminate the crazy high calorie things...all of the sudden you are doing some version of what was recommended in Wheat Belly.

Now I will say, one thing bugs me with paleo. Some people use it as an excuse to eat only meat and piles of it. This isn't healthy, either. But with some balance, it is probably your best chance of long lasting results.

And if you read between the lines here, I have recommended what you have probably heard about dieting your whole life: Cut out fried foods, breads, heavily processed foods, and sugar-laden drinks, etc., etc.

Again. Log on MFP and see the crazy calories of the above items and you come up with some variation of paleo. The paleo diets and MFP should meet in the middle somewhere if you are doing it right.
    Seriously??? WELCOME to AMERICA!
  • jay8anks
    jay8anks Posts: 26 Member
    Options

> Outside of a metabolic disorder.

We have teens getting Type II diabetes. Metabolic disorders, exactly this. Heart disease, cancer, etc., all metabolic disorders. Alzheimer's equals Type III diabetes.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

6 months in, 56 pounds down - please do let me know the point at which I will fail. Will it be the chips and salsa? After my next Dr. Pepper? Or is it a time based thing? Do I have a month left? Three?

Wait a bit before you answer, because I'm going out to eat.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

f765aa7cf727808b2177092e90d5d3fdc20e4f511f8b314a0cbcfaa177216cd7.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tagging

Jon-Stewart-Eagerly-Watching-Eating-His-Popcorn-On-The-Daily-Show.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

f765aa7cf727808b2177092e90d5d3fdc20e4f511f8b314a0cbcfaa177216cd7.jpg

I love you for that gif.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    SAD chair
    bkmwurb2f89x.jpeg
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options

We have teens getting Type II diabetes. Metabolic disorders, exactly this. Heart disease, cancer, etc., all metabolic disorders. Alzheimer's equals Type III diabetes.

o.0
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Don't forget
    pzbuukesc6b9.jpeg

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OP, if you REALLY want to learn something about Nutrition, take a class. Community colleges have cheap classes. They have basic Anatomy classes for non-Science majors and they have Nutrition. If you can't afford a class, go to a library, pick up an up-to-date textbook and read.

All this arguing over something a diet/fitness guru said...it's silly.

Whole grains are part of a healthy diet. I will not be posting links or studies to support it. If you want proof, go study the subject.

All over MFP, I read how I'm destined to fail. If you cut out junk food? Destined to fail. If you eat a lot of sugar? Destined to fail. Average 1200 calories? Destined to fail.

I keep reading about how I'm destined to fail.

And I keep losing.

The Paleo thing pisses me off because the guy used to say it was going to cure your cancer and schizophrenia. He's backed off on the cancer thing, it seems, but continues to suggest it will fix schizophrenics. He's a sleazeball and I wouldn't trust anything he said, ever.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

wait-what-did-you-said.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (I'm just here to say that I'm going to stop complaining about my 1/4 tiny profile pic. I just realized that others have it worse than I do.)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Can't get it up = Type IV diabetes

• MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    (I'm just here to say that I'm going to stop complaining about my 1/4 tiny profile pic. I just realized that others have it worse than I do.)

I kept trying to rub it off my screen. Nope. Not dust.

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

false. Alzheimer's is a neuro degenerative disorder chracterized by dementia. It has nothing to do with diabetes. Your statement is invalid. #science